**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Soldato
Recently started using Google Pay on my P20 Pro and i'm shocked how easy it is to pay for things.

All I do is hold my phone to the contactless terminal and i've paid. Phone is locked, no finger print required etc.

Is this right? On my previous Apple devices it was either Fingerprint or Face ID.

Soldato
I really like this phone overall for so many reasons - the camera is really superb (even I'm still a bit lost in all the options and settings), the battery is absolutely phenomenal, I really like EMUI compared to the Touchwiz on my old SGS5, fingerprint and face unlock are uncannily fast, and the whole system is snappy and responsive.

BUT... they are a couple of annoying issues to do with connectivity that are marring the experience a bit:

1. It keeps dropping off my home wifi connection and then being unable to reconnect (I get "denied access" status reports in the wireless settings, it randomly needs the password inputing again, or it just plain seems to give up on even trying to reconnect even when I tell it to). The only solution is to disable and re-enable wifi, but I feel I shouldn't have to do this and it means I need to be vigilant as to when I'm using my mobile data needlessly at home (I have a 16GB allowance so this isn't a huge concern, but it could be over a whole month).

2. When on mobile data it will occasionally just stop loading webpages. The progress bar gets to about a fifth of the screen width and then stops. This happens even when I know there's good mobile data connection - sometimes it will still show 4G+ and sometimes it will have dropped to showing E even though there is a 4G connection available (in these cases, restarting the phone gets it back to 4G again).

Has anyone else come across these issues? Neither are common (the second has only happened twice to me so far), but both will become quite annoying over time.
I know your post was a while ago, but did you ever reach resolution for the wifi issue? I just bought this phone and am having the same issue.

Soldato
No, unfortunately not. I notice now that my Mate 10 Pro does the same, so in wonder if this is an Emui issue.
Gave Huawei a call yesterday, they advised forgetting the WiFi network and rejoining again via security code. Also to reset network configuration. So far so good ......... Crossing my fingers as I read some ppl (since biying) say that they wish they'd have returned theirs as it's got so many of these problems. I'm still in my return period......

Soldato
Gave Huawei a call yesterday, they advised forgetting the WiFi network and rejoining again via security code. Also to reset network configuration. So far so good ......... Crossing my fingers as I read some ppl (since biying) say that they wish they'd have returned theirs as it's got so many of these problems. I'm still in my return period......

In my experience doing this only solved the issue temporarily, and it was back with the old behaviour again after a short time.

Hope you have better luck then I did.

The longer I've had a Huawei phone the more annoying I've found these issues, tbh. I like a lot about both of their phones I've owned, but not sure if I would recommend them any longer because of these little but grating annoyances.

Soldato
same here. i love my p20 pro but.......if i lost my phone, would i get another p20 pro. nope i wont miss it. id probably go back samsung

Soldato
No, unfortunately not. I notice now that my Mate 10 Pro does the same, so in wonder if this is an Emui issue.

I've noticed the same on my P20 Pro.

I thought it was my BT Hub 6 but my company iPhone is fine - as are my other Wifi devices.

I live in a poor reception area on all the networks and the WiFi Calling on this phone is driving me insane. It clings onto 4G til death and refuses to connect to WiFi Calling, but then it'll randomly connect and then be back on 4G when I check it again. My work iPhone 7 on o2 literally connects and stays on WiFi Calling until I leave the house.

There's a fair bit of complaining on the EE message board about this.

These little niggles are really frustrating. It's a good phone but it'll be gone if these issues aren't resolved in Pie.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
has anybody ever found a decent case for a p20 pro that didnt cover the buttons?? I had a case-mate barely there for my p9 but cant find anything similar for the p20 pro

Soldato
I'm really struggling with the inability to expand notifications on the lock screen.

Apparently you used to be able to, but Huawei disabled the ability to expand them as a security feature.

Soldato
Had my p20 pro for 3-4 weeks now and I'm really impressed. There is very little to dislike and the battery life is great. 4000mah really does make a noticeable difference coming from iPhone. I even like the interface once in dark mode with adjusted text and they're normally awful compared with apple.

Caporegime
I only just found out that it shipped with a screen protector on it, so i now have a tempered glass on top of that. What a moron.
Good thing is that the scratches on the screen after 2 days use are probably just to the factory shipped film.

good phone but some annoyances.

Soldato
The only bad thing about the P20 for me is the DIRE delays on UK updates.

I've only just got an update International handsets have had for months.

I don't expect Pie this year and probably not until Q2 2019 if previous updates in the UK are anything to go by.

Soldato
Got the Android 9.0 Pie update 2 days ago. EMUI 9. I am on Vodafone in the UK.

Not majorly different but there are a few noticeable changes and a few I am not a fan of. Namely the fingerprint reader no longer vibrates on use anymore is the main one as well as whenever I restart the phone it changes back to auto brightness which is really annoying.

. Volume change on screen is now down the right side and some new ringtones and wallpapers they say are inspired by nature.

Associate
Got the Android 9.0 Pie update 2 days ago. EMUI 9. I am on Vodafone in the UK.

Not majorly different but there are a few noticeable changes and a few I am not a fan of. Namely the fingerprint reader no longer vibrates on use anymore is the main one as well as whenever I restart the phone it changes back to auto brightness which is really annoying.

. Volume change on screen is now down the right side and some new ringtones and wallpapers they say are inspired by nature.

Just got the update on giffgaff.

Back
Top Bottom