*** The Official iPad (Early 2012) Thread ***

Quad core just isn't needed yet I don't think. Yes some of the Android tablets are making a big song and dance about quad-core but they're still far more clunky and jerky to use than the iPad2 is.

I'm sure they'll be charging to this forum en masse anyway when this comes out, frothing at the mouth over pointless specifications. Before I owned an iPhone I used to think Apple fans were bad, but... no, there are a worse group out there...

Anyone else here who thinks that res is stupid?

I'd much rather have widescreen 1080p :(

4:3 is much better for book/magazine content, 16:9 monitors are bad enough as it is, I'd want to /wrists if they started putting that aspect ratio on everything.

The res is double the previous, making it easy for devs to update existing apps, or for non-updated apps to be simply scaled up without issue. It won't mean any more space like you get w/a 27" 1080p vs 1440p, but, given the typical viewing distance (i.e. further away than a smartphone), you'll get an iPhone 4/4S like experience in terms of small text still being very readable, no jaggies to be seen, unless you press your face close enough that you can't see all the screen at once.

Also, monitors and TVs will be moving to 4K eventually. MOAR RES. We wants it precious.

Are you mad? This upgrade is monumental in scale. Think greater than 1080p resolution in 9.7 inches. The iphone 4 display was great but the sheer number of pixels on something this size is definitely something to get excited about. The dell 30 inch 2560x1600 was released in 2006, now we're finally get near that resolution on a freaking tablet! That's amazing!!! Every year there are processor upgrades... boring as %£*!. Yeah it's a little bit faster and smoother... woooh.... so what. I can open my browser a millisecond faster, who gives a toss. Most of the time you need a benchmark program to realise the actual difference. Well there's ain't no benchmark needed but your own eyes for this.

This is a once decade kind of progression. Or at least the start of some hyper pixel resolution development in the future. Considering the pixel stagnation for the past decade. This is very exciting. I can't wait for iPad 3. This is what the iPad 2 should have been! :cool:

Possibly, but I don't need all those pixels. I'm not doubting that it's a 'cool' feature, but frankly it's a novelty in my eyes. It doesn't seem like a big enough change to make me upgrade from 2 to 3. Saying that though, I'll probably be waiting until at least the 4/5 to upgrade... I'll upgrade when it starts to feel slow, or something that truly blows me away comes along... In fact, in my mind the nicest thing about the iPad 3 is Siri... Although, again I think that's much of a novelty. I'm not debating that the iPad 3 is a great device. But it's just not worth upgrading from the iPad 2 from. A bit like it really wasn't worth upgrading from an iPhone 4 to a 4s...

At reading distance, I don't have any issues with the iPad 2 as it is... I don't see massive pixelated text staring me in the face... Saying that I've never owned a Retina Display device, so that may be why. But then again I don't go into an Apple store, look at an iPhone and go 'ooooh the screen'.... same with the whole OLED thing... don't really get that either... It might be that I'm just not looking to be honest. But yeah, I'm not particularly sold on it. Saying that, if they brought out a retina display monitor, I'd probably be quite interested...

kd

Last edited:
I'll keep my iPad 2 if that's the only major upgrade. Whilst if I was buying now, I'd obviously wait for iPad 3, it just doesn't seem like a big enough jump to justify an upgrade.

kd

I'm quite happy with the iPad 2 and will be for years to come. I don't get all this retina screen business. I think the screen on the iPad 2 is perfectly good, no issues whatsoever with clarity. Ask me again when we are up to iPad 6 or 7.

Last edited:
I hope they put all that pixel real estate to good use and introduce the ability to run multiple apps simultaneously. That would go some way to turning the ipad into a serious productivity tool.

4:3 is much better for book/magazine content.

Yep but 16:10 is a great format too (esp for films)

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/19/photo-of-ipad-3-logic-board-with-a5x-system-on-a-chip/

I suspect those looking for a quad-core will be disappointed, although if it's silky smooth to use (which is inevitable), I don't care what's inside it.

Probably a 32nm HKMG die shrink of the A5 (still the Samsung fab).

Better than a 40/45nm quad btw.... Apple can clock it like stank for the extra res. It should be good for 2Ghz+ and 400-500MHz on the GPU, virtually matching the PS Vita for raw power while using less power.

Can't wait to have a play! :)

How soon after the announcement event are apple devices typically available for purchase? I’m leaving the country for 6 weeks from the 18th of March and was hoping I’d be able to pick one of these things up before then!

I would have said 2 weeks to end of month we'll see them.

I'm quite happy with the iPad 2 and will be for years to come. I don't get all this retina screen business. I think the screen on the iPad 2 is perfectly good, no issues whatsoever with clarity. Ask me again when we are up to iPad 6 or 7.

Should have gone to Specsavers!

I hope they put all that pixel real estate to good use and introduce the ability to run multiple apps simultaneously. That would go some way to turning the ipad into a serious productivity tool.

Yes I'm sure that now Steve Jobs has died Apple will be keen to ruin everything iOS stands for so you can poke at tiny UI components for two (or more) apps on screen. I'm sure doing this rather that provide the clarity of a high pixel density is just what Apple have planned. I'm sure they have some super new battery to cope with the massive drain of multitasking.

Hang on I've just seen a pig fly past my window.

:confused:

I think your missing the point of an iPad...

If you want true multitasking, you buy a computer...

Back
Top Bottom