• iPhone 8 Plus 256Gb

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 150 62.2%

• Total voters

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Just been catching up on YouTube with the tech reviewers and the rumour mill seems to be quite strong with three new iPhones being on the agenda.

iPhone 7S
iPhone 7S Plus
iPhone 8 (Tenth Anniversary special)

If what the rumours suggest are true for 8:

5.8" OLED edge to edge Display
No physical buttons
Wireless charging
It will look like a single sheet of glass

I'm currently rocking a 64GB iPhone 6 which I bought outright on release and got a separate contract. I want to upgrade this year and if what the rumours are all suggesting are true I probably will buy it. I keep phones for 2-3 years. I'd decided this year I wanted to go for the Plus model (without knowing about the 8) and I don't think there will be much in it price wise between the 7S Plus 128GB and the 8. However I'll probably buy insurance for the first time ever.

Your thoughts?

Mod edit:

Link to Iphone 8 page:

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-8/

Last edited by a moderator:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
I don't comprehend what a £1000 phone gives you that's worth the premium over, say, a £300 phone. From that standpoint, I tend to feel that to buy one of these you either need to have simply too much money, or something missing in your life that you have nothing better to do with your cash.

So no, won't be buying.

While I absolutely agree that when you get to ludicrous pricing as £1000 for a phone as to what extra it gives you from say a £600 phone diminishes to minute levels. However for me my phone is the second most used thing after my laptop. I use it for several hours each day so investing money on something I enjoy using and will use for 2-3 years is worth it. Do I think if I bought a £300 Chinese phone instead of my iPhone 6 it would still be running flawlessly without any glitches 3 years later as mine currently is? I highly doubt it.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
I agree but equally I don't think this applies only to Apple. The whole phone market has stagnated IMO with most phones just being yearly iterations of the last one. If it wasn't for my battery being so bad in my iphone 6 I wouldn't be looking to upgrade at all.

I'm happy with my 6 aside from camera quality. That's my biggest factor for going for the new iPhone. I enjoy photography and whenever I go out I have to take my mirrorless with me to capture nice shots whereas friends with S7 Edge/S8/7+ manage to take beautiful photos just off their phone!

If you're happy with your 6 aside from battery quality, Apple with replace the battery for you within about 20 mins for £70.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
I’ve usually gone for fairly cheap Cases and never have really like the feel of them so end up changing them every few months. Thought I would try something a bit more rugged and hopefully feels better in the hand

Cheap cases are a false economy. My case from Apple lasted two years before becoming tired/battered after being dropped a fair few times. Since then I've gone through 5 different eBay cases which last about 3 months before the sides peel off and rip.

Back
Top Bottom