Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
How about no?

The iPhone is the oldest phone there with the least amount of RAM.

The essential is embarrassing in that test.

That video import and compiling is why the A11 matters.
lol.

I couldn't be bothered searching YouTube for a similar video, so thanks for posting.

When out with mates and I see people using their phones, including the S8, I always notice UI lag on Android. It just looks less polished. I had Android, went to iPhones, back to Android and now back on iOS. I like that I don't have to **** around with it, compare specs, manufacturers etc. I just buy whatever I can justify each year. Turn on, restore from backup, carry on. Unlike backup and restore on Android which is a long way off.

Man of Honour
I was with Android from the HTC hero up till the Nexus 5 and other than the vastly better notification pane on Android I don’t really miss anything.

The Android fragmentation still annoys me. Even on the Pixel line of phones most of them didn’t get Oreo until like a week after they announced it was released.

Where’s iOS will be pushed to every supported device on the 19th.

Don’t even get me started on the likes of Samsung constantly being 6 months behind on major OS releases.

This is also a fair point, but these days that's actually a good thing. With Pixel/nexus updates being rolled back or held back due to reported issues from people who updated immediately, you tend to always get a fully stable OS update with OEMs who take more time to test. I can't recall the last time a Samsung/Sony OS update had a bug that needed it to be halted, but can on Pixel/Nexus devices.

Most OEM phones tend to also have the bulk of new stock Android features baked in anyway, and all OEMs offer monthly security updates, so in 2017, this isn't such a big deal any more. It's stock Android that plays catchup with new OS features as opposed to the other way round.

Associate
This is also a fair point, but these days that's actually a good thing. With Pixel/nexus updates being rolled back or held back due to reported issues from people who updated immediately, you tend to always get a fully stable OS update with OEMs who take more time to test. I can't recall the last time a Samsung/Sony OS update had a bug that needed it to be halted, but can on Pixel/Nexus devices.

Most OEM phones tend to also have the bulk of new stock Android features baked in anyway, and all OEMs offer monthly security updates, so in 2017, this isn't such a big deal any more. It's stock Android that plays catchup with new OS features as opposed to the other way round.

Except, y'know - BlueBorne.

I think the people, like myself, who are gonna be shelling out for the X, aren't really bothered about paying out a little extra for a cable/adapter. :p non issue.

I guess it's like car manufacturers showing a car on the tele for £19,990, but in the fine print below it says "As pictured, £24,990"

Man of Honour
OP
I initially thought iOS looked a bit too colourful etc too when they changed it from the original design, but I'm used to it now and think it's a pretty good balance...

kCuAYmf.jpg

1f1M1d8.jpg

I really like this hardware, pretty much spot on.

I wonder what the contracts will look like on the likes of EE...

Soldato
lol.

I couldn't be bothered searching YouTube for a similar video, so thanks for posting.

When out with mates and I see people using their phones, including the S8, I always notice UI lag on Android. It just looks less polished. I had Android, went to iPhones, back to Android and now back on iOS. I like that I don't have to **** around with it, compare specs, manufacturers etc. I just buy whatever I can justify each year. Turn on, restore from backup, carry on. Unlike backup and restore on Android which is a long way off.
Yeah backup and restore is another area that Android is massively behind on.

When the X arrives I’ll have it set up exactly the same as my 7 within 10-15 minutes and with the minimal of fuss.

Associate
Anything connected to the net is likely to have an exploit. These things get patched as they get discovered anyway, and as of yet, I have not read or heard of a single person who has been affected by it.

Point was more with the fragmentation, how long does it take OEM's to get on board and patch it?

Soldato
Anything connected to the net is likely to have an exploit. These things get patched as they get discovered anyway, and as of yet, I have not read or heard of a single person who has been affected by it.
Based on the thread in the mobiles forum Samsung aren’t in a rush to fix it.

Also Samsung tends to release their monthly security updates at the end of the month where’s Google and a few others do so at the beginning, so could potentially be vulnerable for almost a month after the fix.

Caporegime
"I don't need it, therefore why would anyone else need it"

I must use my phone hundreds of times a day: WhatsApp all day long, iMessage, podcasts and/or Spotify on the commute, Spotify during the day, Twitter, news, weather (Dark Sky -- amazing), my todo list, capturing notes, Evernote, Dropbox, my calendar, the occasional phone call, Two-factor authenticator for a bunch of stuff, Maps, CityMapper, Live Trains, Uber on the odd occasion, VPN into home to check bits and pieces... the list goes on. I use my phone 100x more than any other digital device in my life, including iPad, laptop, PC and Mac, TV.

Edit: forgot one of the most important uses, which is to keep in touch with my family through photos (iCloud Photo sharing) and FaceTime.

That's great but you still don't need the £1000 phone to do all of that...

Man of Honour
OP
That's great but you still don't need the £1000 phone to do all of that...

You don't need a £50,000 car to drive down the road to the shops but that doesn't stop people. All depends whether you value a superior experience, which a phone like the X (or any top end phone) will provide.

Caporegime
You don't need a £50,000 car to drive down the road to the shops but that doesn't stop people. All depends whether you value a superior experience, which a phone like the X (or any top end phone) will provide.

I've no issue really with people spending money on what they want but it's when they try to justify it with meaningless statements that could apply to a iPhone 7 you can pick up for half the price, just say you're buying it because you want one not because you need it :p

Man of Honour
OP
I've no issue really with people spending money on what they want but it's when they try to justify it with meaningless statements that could apply to a iPhone 7 you can pick up for half the price, just so you're buying it because you want one not because you need it :p

I don't think he's saying he needs it, just that he thinks it's worthwhile due to the amount of use it gets. People spend comparatively more on things they use a lot less.

Soldato
After reading up on the 8 and x. I simply can't justify the the cost of the x. It looks great and the screen is nice but that's about it. The 8 is the better buy tbh and I feel the 7 will be a better second hand buy.

£1k on a phone is simply far too much. Yes we use these devices everyday but its a ridiculous amount of money.

This is what puzzles me. Most, if not all premium phones (Android and iOS) are now pretty powerful beasts and should if looked after and not damaged last quite a few years. I suspect most users won't begin to tax the capabilities of a modern phone and less still make use of all they can do, perhaps not even scratch the surface. Most new releases these days offer only incremental improvements on the outgoing models.

Why then is there a mad scramble to the shops each time a new phone is released, with many people more than willing to get still deeper in debt? Do they boost people's self-esteem i.e. look at me with the latest gadget etc. I'm genuinely interested in the phenomenon as I really struggle to get me head around it.

Man of Honour
I'm genuinely interested in the phenomenon as I really struggle to get me head around it.
Because I'm a tech nerd and I like the latest tech?

My gym membership costs the same as an iPhone X 256GB on the upgrade program. The last time I went was March.

Soldato
This is a whole debate thats never won on ether side. Personally since the iphone 4 i've been onboard the good ship apple and I love the way you just transition to each phone with all your data intact.

I will be buying the iphone X, my 7 will pass to my wife, her 6s will pass to my son and his 6 will go to my daughter. The 5s she has will get sold, still even having a respectable value to it. During my phones life it will pass through 4 users in my home and during that time will still be getting the latest IOS and still work well. Normally around year 3 we need to get a battery done but by year 3 there has always been ways to diy this and its a worthwhile fix, i've got a battery to sort the 6 before my daughter get it.
We have Apple family sharing so all have music for £15 a month. We can approve the daughters app choices before she gets them.

It all works so well for me tbh and i'm lucky enough to be able to afford the change of phone each year. We all have sim only deals to go along with them. I don't think there is another product that could do this for us all and please everyone from age 50 to 12 along the way.

Caporegime
I don't think he's saying he needs it, just that he thinks it's worthwhile due to the amount of use it gets. People spend comparatively more on things they use a lot less.

But when all of those uses listed can be done just as well on the current iPhone I don't see how it's worthwhile, it's not really offering you anything over ooooo new and shiny and this is coming from me who had no interest after the announcement and now very tempted to buy one. Why? Because it's new and we all want to have the latest and greatest regardless of the tangible benefits.

Soldato
Do you actually use it all day everyday though?

My main use is when I wake up and when I go to bed, I don't use my phone a great deal at work due to company policy or being busy when working from home and on the weekends I don't spend much time on it either, you're making it sound like your glued to it all hours.

Me neither, I'm lucky if mine gets used an hour a day. The rest of the day 'I'm simply living'. If I was using a phone all day every day then I would take a serious look at my life.

Man of Honour
OP
But when all of those uses listed can be done just as well on the current iPhone I don't see how it's worthwhile, it's not really offering you anything over ooooo new and shiny and this is coming from me who had no interest after the announcement and now very tempted to buy one. Why? Because it's new and we all want to have the latest and greatest regardless of the tangible benefits.

That's all the reason you need, it's up to you what you spend your money on. For me a big thing is the design of the front and the fact it's an OLED screen. I dumped a perfectly good LCD/LED TV to get an OLED one and don't regret it one bit. :D

I haven't decided if I'm getting one yet, the flexibility of 'Face ID' will swing it possibly. I'm on a 6s Plus at the moment which is fine and skipped the 7 for the reasons you've said, but the X is a good step up in some areas.

Some things are flat out a rip off in life, but I really don't think a high tech phone is one. Those Saint Laurent Paris handbags in Harrods for £20k on the other hand are a bit more extreme...

Soldato

Not all of us want new and shiny. Example - I purchased a nice German made car 12 years ago this month. I've looked after it, it's never let me down and it still looks like new. Why would I want to dash out and change something that continues to offer me such good service? A new iPhone bought today should last the user at the very least five or six years of useful life. Just think how much better off people would be financially if they adopted a similar approach.

That's all the reason you need, it's up to you what you spend your money on. For me a big thing is the design of the front and the fact it's an OLED screen. I dumped a perfectly good LCD/LED TV to get an OLED one and don't regret it one bit. :D .

A genuinely shocking admission. You could at the very least have donated it to an organisation such as the British Heart Foundation who would have been glad to receive it and sell it on

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom