***The Official LG Optimus G2 Thread***

Soldato
10fq0sz.jpg

2pq4yet.jpg

2rqgck9.jpg

15726ip.jpg

Specs

Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor alongside 2/3GB of RAM.
13-megapixel rear camera.
IPS display size of 5.2-inches, 423ppi at full HD 1920 x 1080p.

This looks interesting, in under 1 month I could be looking at my next phone.

Soldato
OP
Only one thing that stops me from considering LG's phones........support/updates :(

That is a worry, but it seems like Google is slowing down the release cycle to let manufactures catch up. Also since 4.1 there are no changes that are a deal breaker from me.

The update cycle is always a worry especially with non nexus devices so I am not sure you can pick any with certainty. The manufacturer may provide the update but the carrier not. If you are buying a non nexus phone you need to be happy with what you have from the start.

Also after having 2 nexus devices, a 7 which runs like ass and a Galaxy Nexus with a terrible camera and dodgy screen, I think the actual performance of the device is as important as the updates.

Caporegime
If google release KLP by the end of this year, it is pretty much their same schedule for the last few years now :p 1 big update and 1-3 smallish updates. On the topic of that, google shouldn't have too hold back as it isn't so much their fault but more the networks and manufacturers fault with their skins, apps and then the networks stuff on top of that followed by the stupid amount of phones that they all bring out each year etc. Networks play such an important role as you pointed out, to the point where they are even holding back sim free phones updates now!

The whole thing really just makes my blood boil when I think about! :mad: :p :o

But LG is regarded as being one of, if not the worse there is for android updates:

http://readwrite.com/2011/01/14/dat...s-delay-android-updates#awesm=~obe72mm7q0cKM7

http://www.techhive.com/article/256...es_do_the_best_job_with_android_updates_.html

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/the-checkered-slow-history-of-android-handset-updates/

Very true those last 2 parts, personally for me it is largely about the principle :o :p imo it is just shows that the company doesn't give a toss about the customers.

Regarding those two nexus devices, tbf that is more down to the hardware in the first place, galaxy nexus with a poor camera sensor in combination with awful software optimisation (although I thought the camera was decent enough overall) and the nexus 7 with cheap NAND + tegra 3 chipset.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As well as telling us when we'll catch our first proper glimpse at the LG Optimus G2, the website throws out some clues as to what we can expect from the handset. Words such as "battery", "privacy," and "IPS" take the shape of a person on the website, no doubt hinting at some of the features we can expect to see on the G2 smartphone.
Thanks to online leaks and rumours, however, we already know quite a lot about the LG Optimus G2 smartphone. If that information is correct, LG's upcoming flagship handset will feature a 5.2in HD 1080p IPS display, a quad-core 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and Google's Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean mobile operating system.
There's also talk that the smartphone will feature fingerprint scanning technology, a 13MP rear-facing camera, 2GB of RAM and support for 4G LTE connectivity.

According to a Korean-language Kyunghyang newspaper report being cited in a recent post on the Russian Ringer’s Blue Men blog, the LG G2 is set to become available first in South Korea in August of this year. Then, it will be released in both North America and Europe in September, followed by a full global release by the time October rolls around. - See more at: http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g2-release-date-north-america-europe-248776/#sthash.9b0ClUai.dpuf

http://www.g2.lgmobile.com/

This is still tempting me.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Caporegime

says it all ;)

The only downside with htc update area is that they make stupid decisions with key devices i.e. desire, desire hd etc. Apart from that they are the best for updates "overall" as proven by 3 different sites and many more out there with proof to back up those claims.

As to if Sony will improve their update area, guess we will find with the 4.3 update....... They certainly took their time with 4.2.2 and it seems sim free owners are still waiting........

i still don't understand why the unbranded uk xz's still have not received 4.2 when voda,o2 and 3 customers have got theirs

Guess we will just have to wait and see if LG up their game in this area but I am betting that they won't....

Last edited:
Associate
Hardware looks good but I won't be buying into this, great to see what we can hope to see from other manufacturers in the near future though, LG tend to come out first but never seem to get a foot in the door and in fact their phones aren't bad looking.

Soldato
OP
OK so even though I appear to be one of the few people interested in this device I am carrying on regardless with updates. :)

QuickWindow ala S4

29eq0c6.jpg

Manual leaked as well

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122...o-sim-microsd-and-removable-battery-confirmed

French tech site Nowhere Else has published some of the pictures and pages from the 222-page manual it was sent by a "small mole". It reveals the G2's measurements as 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm and its weight at 143g. That means that it is slightly larger all round than the Samsung Galaxy S4; it is also a millimetre thicker and a fraction heavier.

The LG G2 will also have a microSD card slot, one of the schematics shows. And it will come with a removable 2,610mAh battery.

Code:
G2 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm 143g
S4 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm 130g
1  137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 mm 143g

For the battery and the great screen size I think the dimensions of the phone are pretty incredible.

Roll on Wednesday 4pm.

161kv2p.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
that is quite nice! :) i think the bit in the middle will be a touch sensitive button that will work with swipe(kinda like you have on laptops the finger print scanner thingy?) so it'll be dead easy to unlock yet is going to be really functional.. the up/down buttons not sure.. i can't see how applying pressure to the back of the phone is going to work tbh but the unlock button is great idea IMO and im sure as hell would love it.. we'll see what it has to offer, but right now it looks great, hopefully LG go balls out and support the software properly too.

Back
Top Bottom