*** The Official Mac OS X Leopard Update(s) Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
I assumed it was the router messing around but the whole os became horribly laggy and slow, verging on non-responsive at the same time - which made me think it was software based.

In that case, it has to be the Mac. Sounds like a serious bug.

After commenting on how stable TM was, its getting on my nerves. I plug in the drive, it then takes ages to do a backup and gets stuck. Done it a couple of times now. Gets on my nerves.

Associate
Nothing but wireless issues since updating to 10.5.2 (another Netgear DG834G here I'm afraid). Terrible speeds, losing connection to the router, etc.

Managed to 'fix' it though- by doing exactly what I had to do with the 10.5.1 update; replace the AppleAirPort.kext with the one which shipped with Leopard GM. It's the only one which has ever worked properly for me.

Soldato
Now when I set my MBP down on a desk the wireless cuts out.

Lift it up one inch off the desk and it starts working again.

Thought it was some sort of interference in my room, tried another desk and the same thing.

What have Apple been playing at? :confused:

Soldato
Now when I set my MBP down on a desk the wireless cuts out.

Lift it up one inch off the desk and it starts working again.

Thought it was some sort of interference in my room, tried another desk and the same thing.

What have Apple been playing at? :confused:

Now thats weird, that cant possibly be software. Hardware problem? How could a desk affect the wireless like that? :confused:

Soldato
I honestly don't know, either way I tried a different desk and it did the exact same thing.

I'm directly above the router which hasn't had anything like this happen before and the MBP is just back from repair. Maybe the Airport Card (if it's not soldered on) has come half-loose or something.

At a loss.

Soldato
I honestly don't know, either way I tried a different desk and it did the exact same thing.

I'm directly above the router which hasn't had anything like this happen before and the MBP is just back from repair. Maybe the Airport Card (if it's not soldered on) has come half-loose or something.

At a loss.

I am leaning towards a hardware fault, as soon as its making contact with the desk it might be causing something to move inside.

Contact Apple or a re-seller, see what they say?

How long have you had it?

Soldato
I've had it since December 2006 and it's covered under warranty until 2009.

I've had a ton of things go wrong with it and most of them got fixed recently - it just got back to me Wednesday there.

Had a dead pixel in my previous panel and got it replaced by the reseller (very generously), checked it when it arrived on Wednesday and it was brand spanking new. A new dead pixel appeared on Saturday.

Needless to say that wasn't the only problem - the superdrive was totally wrecked and the new one they put in sounds like an explosion at a quarry when putting a disc in. And I was getting a weird vibration-buzz some days when turning it on, which seems to have gone with replacement of the panel hinge.

The desk is a funny one, I mean, it was working all night last night with the wireless - bar the os lagging out once like I mentioned.

May just bay it and have someone else take care of it - I live in NI (so don't have an Apple store) and live a good hour or so from the nearest reseller - so getting it repaired isn't exactly made easy. I would ask for a replacement but I know what way that will go with Apple, they'll just point me to the reseller.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had it since December 2006 and it's covered under warranty until 2009.

I've had a ton of things go wrong with it and most of them got fixed recently - it just got back to me Wednesday there.

Had a dead pixel in my previous panel and got it replaced by the reseller (very generously), checked it when it arrived on Wednesday and it was brand spanking new. A new dead pixel appeared on Saturday.

Needless to say that wasn't the only problem - the superdrive was totally wrecked and the new one they put in sounds like an explosion at a quarry when putting a disc in. And I was getting a weird vibration-buzz some days when turning it on, which seems to have gone with replacement of the panel hinge.

The desk is a funny one, I mean, it was working all night last night with the wireless - bar the os lagging out once like I mentioned.

May just bay it and have someone else take care of it - I live in NI (so don't have an Apple store) and live a good hour or so from the nearest reseller - so getting it repaired isn't exactly made easy. I would ask for a replacement but I know what way that will go with Apple, they'll just point me to the reseller.

That's a bit of a bummer. Sounds like it has a crappy track record! I would contact Apple, they may suprise you and offer to sort it, especially if you tell where you live. If not shove it on the Bay and see what happens.

Associate
Fine here on my MBP. Try a properly supported machine.

I tried Leopard on my P35 based PC purely as an experiment. Without the proper hardware disk performance was woeful.
As I said, it happened first on my friends iMac and also happens sometimes with my OSX86 system ;)

Also, hard disk performance matches my friends new iMac as well, and overall performance is better.

Last edited:
Soldato
This isn't good...

this is my 3rd restart since I've updated my MacBook Core Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD 5,400rpm. First time was compulsory for the update. The next time I restarted, it took 15seconds before it went into the grey screen before booting up (usually no more than 3). It happened again just now after a routine reboot.

Does it take that long or have I got the some bug from the update?

Back
Top Bottom