*** The Official macOS Big Sur thread ***

Soldato
The only thing I've ever wanted was for them to make the Pages app not link all pages together unless you section break them... is it too much to ask to have it as an option/toggle rather than the default?! Is it?! :(:eek::(

Commissario
OP
I ran the early beta in a VM and it's the biggest change I've seen in an OS for many, many years. The VM wasn't a great experience generally so I only had a little play with it.

The biggest thing that struck me was the icon change, all icons are now a fixed square shape as per iOS. I'm going to miss the different shaped icons in my dock.

vnfLMaF.png

I have a fair bit of radio software that accesses my radio and interfaces via USB and the change in extensions regarding USB is a little concerning but it looks as though the drivers are baked into Big Sur so hopefully I'll be OK.

I am a little nervous about installing it straight away this year but I expect I'll be there straight away :)

Soldato
See I love the Icon change, but I like consistency in design but appreciate it's not for everyone.

I'll probably upgrade on day one, but I have a backup machine for work should I need it and frankly I don't use anything complicated, as long as I have a Terminal/Web Browser I can most things done, along with VS Code. It's literally almost a jumpbox for me nowadays as everything is handed off elsewhere.

Commissario
OP
I just had an email from Mike Bombich saying
  • We recommend waiting for a few updates before upgrading to Big Sur because important components of the OS aren't working yet
  • Early adopters can install macOS Big Sur onto the CCC backup volume to make it bootable.
And then lots of stuff as to why CCC isn't able to create a fully bootable backup yet. I do run CCC on a daily basis, it's one of my backup methods.

Soldato
Have been running Mac OS 11 for a few weeks/months now on both 2013 MBP and iMac 27".

Minor issues along the way but effectively all working (inc. CCC!)

Soldato
Have been running Mac OS 11 for a few weeks/months now on both 2013 MBP and iMac 27".

Minor issues along the way but effectively all working (inc. CCC!)
How's performance been on the 2013 MBP? I've just bought a Late 2013 13" MBP on eBay as I wanted a slight upgrade from my 2011 MBP (which will now go to girlfriend) so hoping to bung Big Sur on.

Back
Top Bottom