*** The Official macOS Catalina thread ***

Soldato
There's a supplemental update for 10.15.5, personally I've grabbed the combo again from here as it includes the supplemental and installed it.

Nice was just going to ask about combo updates and supplemental updates, I installed the combo the other day, and wasn't sure how it works if there is a supplemental update.

Cheers

Soldato
I've not noticed it on Parallels so far, but it's a massive pain in the backside with Fusion. Fortunately I've still got a Mac Mini on Mojave.

Man of Honour
BTW it's not just virtualisation that causes it. Normal computer usage can trigger the crash, so if you haven't upgraded I wouldn't bother until Apple fix it.

Commissario
OP
Hmm first I heard of this, I run a lot of Windows VM's via Parallels daily and updated to 10.15.6 when it was released. Thankfully not had a crash yet
I've had to fire up a Windows VM a couple of times for some radio programming over the last week or so with no issues using Parallels and 10.15.6.

Man of Honour
I can write 4 line Python script as a user (no sudo required) which will exhaust kernel memory and crash the system in a matter of minutes. It's rather embarrassing for Apple!

I've read VMware's internal bug for Fusion and it mentions Virtualbox as well but not Parallels. But as I said above, virtualisation is just a catalyst.

Last edited:
Soldato
What anti-malware would people recommend? Sophos is meant to be good (and free), but I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I've added everything it wants to the list of programs with full disk access, yet it just keeps asking me to add them.

Commissario
OP
None.
If you absolutely feel you must have something, install malwarebytes and do a manual scan every few months but you don’t need anything.

The underlying OS on a Mac is more secure than Windows. Be sensible, if something asks for your admin password and you're not expecting it, don't enter it. Don't bypass the built in security and you'll be absolutely fine.

Soldato
Thanks Feek. I've not used anti-virus software in years on Windows, nevermind Mac, and have never suffered because of it. It's just something that I'll be looking to do from time to time, just to make sure there's nothing lurking in the background. I've installed Avast, as that worked effortlessly and appears to be well rated. It's also unobtrusive, so that'll help me from uninstalling it quickly. :p

Soldato
It's quite ironic that you haven't felt the need to use it on Windows in years but have installed it on your Mac. You really don't need it.

Certainly looks that way. I guess my habit of carrying out periodic anti-malware checks can now cease. The anti-virus side of Avast wasn't of interest :)

On another note... I've carried out a Time Machine backup. It's encrypted and going onto a MacOS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) external drive, with that apparently being the best disk format to choose. However, it transferred the 80GB in around 2.5 hours (sustained upwards of ~160MB/s speeds on a separate test), but has reached ~50% encryption after 7 hours. When I've looked this up, people keep saying "it'll be done in 30 minutes" using this format, without always being explicit on their file size. It doesn't give any time estimate till completion.

Back
Top Bottom