*** The Official macOS Sonoma thread ***

Commissario
OP
I'm tempted to reformat my Mac Studio as over the past couple of years it has slowly started to fill up with junk.
macOS doesn't need regular rebuilds, it's not Windows. If there's any software installed that you don't need, just throw it in the trash or use something like AppCleaner to pick up any cruft.

That's all you need to do. Don't even consider using CleanMyMac.

Commissario
OP
I have DaisyDisk but I'm not sure what is safe to nuke.
Don't use DaisyDisk to delete stuff. Like I said, if there are apps you don't use, just chuck 'em in the trash or use AppCleaner.

What junk do you think you've got?

If you want to clear caches, use Onyx.

There's one folder that can grow large over time, especially if you use WhatsApp with the backup. ~/library/caches/com.apple.bird/session/g. That can get huge but it's completely safe to delete.

To give you an idea, I bought a 27" iMac in 2012. When I bought another iMac in 2017, I did a full backup of my 2012 iMac and restored it to the new one. I'm still using that 2017 iMac in my office.

So that's been the same OS, gone through multiple updates over a ten year period.

At the end of December, I rebuilt macOS Venture (because that's the latest it will support) because I needed to repartition the SSD. I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance whatsoever. That's over ten years of installing and removing apps, and doing the annual OS update.

Soldato
Don't use DaisyDisk to delete stuff. Like I said, if there are apps you don't use, just chuck 'em in the trash or use AppCleaner.

What junk do you think you've got?

If you want to clear caches, use Onyx.

There's one folder that can grow large over time, especially if you use WhatsApp with the backup. ~/library/caches/com.apple.bird/session/g. That can get huge but it's completely safe to delete.

To give you an idea, I bought a 27" iMac in 2012. When I bought another iMac in 2017, I did a full backup of my 2012 iMac and restored it to the new one. I'm still using that 2017 iMac in my office.

So that's been the same OS, gone through multiple updates over a ten year period.

At the end of December, I rebuilt macOS Venture (because that's the latest it will support) because I needed to repartition the SSD. I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance whatsoever. That's over ten years of installing and removing apps, and doing the annual OS update.
Thanks. Mainly I'm thinking about all the dev stuff I've installed from Homebrew and other stuff but I guess you are right. Next time I get a new Mac I'll get a 1TB drive so I won't worry so much.

Commissario
OP
If there's good reason, if you're doing to reclaim space that you don't know where it's gone, then it's a perfectly sensible thing to do but it's not something that needs doing on a regular basis.

I've always overspecced the storage side of any computer, that's why my Studio has a 2Tb SSD and my MBA has a 1Tb SSD ;)

Soldato
One oddity we're finding is that the build on the new M3MBPs is proving fairly unstable out of the box with docks and external screens. Our team has been blasting and reinstalling them on day 1 and the problems seem to have gone away. Very odd.

As a quick side-note, I've picked up one of these iVanky Docks. Dual-TB4 connections meaning I can have my Studio Display and 2 x 4K screens plugged into my 16" M3Max or 14"M3Max and no more random issues with screens not coming out of sleep etc. Expensive though at 400 odd quid.

Soldato
So I bought an external Blu-ray drive last years because I wanted to rip some Blu-rays but never got round to it. Fast forward to today and I found a CD I used to love when I was a teenager. So I decided to rip it with Apple Music using Apple Lossless. It all worked fine but does doing that sync it with my iCloud account or something or does it just stay on my Mac and I need to back it up?

It would be nice to listen to it on my iPhone as well.

Man of Honour
So I bought an external Blu-ray drive last years because I wanted to rip some Blu-rays but never got round to it. Fast forward to today and I found a CD I used to love when I was a teenager. So I decided to rip it with Apple Music using Apple Lossless. It all worked fine but does doing that sync it with my iCloud account or something or does it just stay on my Mac and I need to back it up?

It would be nice to listen to it on my iPhone as well.

Soldato
Took me about 2-3 hours to do it all, but I managed to get "up to date" not the Mac Pro. Now running Sonoma 14.4 atm..and working good so far.

Main reason I upgraded as the issues I was having with my mouse, I suspected macOS corruption. but now I have upgraded, its the same! :(

so I tried a wired mouse (maybe should have done this first! :cry:) and seems OK so far..

But at least it caused me to YOLO and get the latest OS!

Soldato
another cool thing with Sonoma is I can run my monitor at 144Hz, 120Hz or 60Hz. Before it was capped at 120Hz..(not that you would really notice it) but hey, nice to have!

Back
Top Bottom