*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Digital Foundry Hands on with PS4

When it comes to the tricky issue of control and response, Killzone: Shadow Fall currently delivers a largely 25-30FPS experience with v-sync engaged, where a long overview of the forest tests the hardware most. A strong trace of input lag is felt when turning the analogue sticks - a quirk that hangs over from the Killzone 2 days. It's a delay in response that is impossible to ignore after playing snappier low-latency shooters, and at the default 50 per cent sensitivity for the X and Y axis proved tricky to adapt to. Migrating to the new and more shooter-friendly Dual Shock 4 controller isn't the cause here, as this is the only game we test with such problems. Rather, the issue is likely to be the result of latency being built up over the course of a long and complex rendering pipeline.

Probably unoptimised but the mention of input lag is a concern.

Caporegime

I just read all that. Interesting. How many frames per second can people actually notice though? Is anything above 30fps a waste?

One thing DF don't have a chance to do is compare multiplatform titles on both systems. It seems Xbone is going for 1080p60 on first party titles but PS4 is going 1080p30 with massively increased particle effects.

Soldato
Very funny, but I'm genuinely concerned. I've never had a launch day console before and really want one. If you don't get it at launch, it's highly unlikely you will have it before xmas.

I'd imagine everyone on here (i.e. the nerdier people!) who have preordered during E3 will be fine.

I had a mare getting a 360 back in the day. I ordered with Play and they didn't come through. :mad:

Soldato
I just read all that. Interesting. How many frames per second can people actually notice though? Is anything above 30fps a waste?

One thing DF don't have a chance to do is compare multiplatform titles on both systems. It seems Xbone is going for 1080p60 on first party titles but PS4 is going 1080p30 with massively increased particle effects.

Nothing worse than a slow, juddery console game.

Caporegime
I'd imagine everyone on here (i.e. the nerdier people!) who have preordered during E3 will be fine.

I had a mare getting a 360 back in the day. I ordered with Play and they didn't come through. :mad:

Same here, Game didn't come through with mine. Probably tempting fate ordering with them again, but the 360's were ridiculously under supplied at launch.

Soldato
You guys make me laugh - actually think about how "Microsoft have let us down etc etc".

You'll be missing out on a serious amount of quality games if you really intend to avoid the Xbox One as you suggest.

Microsoft didn't let me down as after years of trying their best to ignore PC gaming they lost their relevance in my eyes years ago.

I personally don't think I will be missing out on much, certainly not showing anything that makes me want one on launch and at this moment in time I have no intention of getting Xbox one. If you like the line up and plan on getting one then cool and I hope you enjoy it. Just don't get all upset because people have decided to vote with their wallets and purchase the PS4 :rolleyes:

I'm glad people are not acting like sheep and bending over to a company that wants to screw them over. It's about time these company's realise they are nothing without us consumers.

Soldato

Probably unoptimised but the mention of input lag is a concern.
Apparently the input lag has been a feature of all the previous Killzone games, so if you found it ok on those you should be ok with it on this one as well.

As for the FPS optimizations, yes i fully expect all of the games to be much improved by release.

I personally don't see the big fuss about 30 vs 60 AS LONG as the 30fps is completely solid without any drops. If it drops below that then i start to notice it.

Caporegime
How can you say that?

They both have stated that "Microsoft have dropped the ball" and "will be picking up a PS4".

That gives the impression that they're both not planning on buying one.

So what if they aren't? Most people do not buy both consoles, they buy one, so it's natural that they make a choice. Th clear choice at the moment is the PS4.

I don't see what's so confusing about that.

Soldato
Apparently the input lag has been a feature of all the previous Killzone games, so if you found it ok on those you should be ok with it on this one as well.

As for the FPS optimizations, yes i fully expect all of the games to be much improved by release.

I remember playing kz 2 and it was the same. It was less than ideal but I got use to it. I just hope the dead zones on the ds 4 have been reduced.

Man of Honour
So what if they aren't? Most people do not buy both consoles, they buy one, so it's natural that they make a choice. Th clear choice at the moment is the PS4.

I don't see what's so confusing about that.

I would actually say that most gamers buy multiple consoles, it's just they choose one to start with and that is generally their main console, and they pick the other up cheaper down the line. It's what I do, and I'm guess it's what most gamers will do.

Caporegime
I would actually say that most gamers buy multiple consoles, it's just they choose one to start with and that is generally their main console, and they pick the other up cheaper down the line. It's what I do, and I'm guess it's what most gamers will do.

I would imagine that most gamers (ie: the average muggins off the street, ie: probably 80% of people) can not afford two consoles and two sets of games and accessories. That's for the hardcore gamer crowd, or people with money to spare.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very funny, but I'm genuinely concerned. I've never had a launch day console before and really want one. If you don't get it at launch, it's highly unlikely you will have it before xmas.

I'm trying to be as prepared as I can with mine, I have pre-ordered both consoles with Shopto literally minutes after the products came online after the initial reveals. Then I ordered in store with GAME during E3, I'm hoping at least 1 option pans out.

Soldato
Sounds like theyve not played the previous KZs where its been used to add 'weight' to the disembodied first person view :confused:. KZ2 had it in spades compared to KZ3 though...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Yeah I couldn't get used to the feel of it in KZ2 but maybe that's just me.

edit* Regarding console ownership, I had both this gen and I intend to do the same for the next. I like the exlusives of both but what I use for multiplats remains to be seen. This gen it was mainly 360 for exclusives/multi and PS3 for exclusives. If the PS4 versions are superior next gen I will switch that around no problem.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato

The difference between 30fps and 60fps is very noticeable. Especially is shooters.

You'll have to forgive the examples, but I've only just joined the PS3 bandwagon so I don't really know many of the titles on there.

But on 360 go from playing HALO3+ at 30fps to CoD at 60fps and CoD just feels soooo silky, while HALO feels very slow and clunky.

However it also comes down to the engine used, and the gameplay. Gears of War is a 30fps game, but it always feels very slick.

For me personally I'd much prefer to have all my FPS games @ 60fps, while 3rd Person and other titles I'm fine with at 30fps and more eye candy.

Back
Top Bottom