*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
i plan to preorder this and depending on what shift im working pick it either first thing in the morning or first thing after work.

i did the midnight launch for the PS3 but purely as my wife was pregnant and couldnt sleep or get comfortable so we went shopping for baby clothes and ended up picking one up.

the good news is the wife is just as exited about this as i am and im not 100% sure why but im not going to argue as our top priority is preordering once we get back of our holidays :)

Soldato
I'm curious how the GAME units will manage the demand. I traded a load of Blue rays and games as I would never get around to playing them and used some of the credit towards the £20 deposit. I did not ask too much info other than would I be forced to attend a midnight launch or could I pick it up the next day instead.

I got a pretty vague answer which is understandable as the release is still some time away. Now I am curious if the £20 deposit will secure a unit on release day or is there some hidden small print protecting them if demand outstrips the supply?!

Also got no desire to walk through Camden town at midnight with a very obvious new console in a huge bag!!!:D

Any GAME employees able to pass on the companies directions at this point.

I dont think anyone knows how Pre orders will be managed yet, no one apart from sony will know this until units are being made, and how quickly they can be produced.

Associate
Just pre-ordered mine on Amazon...I've been on holiday so missed the launch at E3 etc.....is there a rough eta on a delivery date or is it just hold tight it will be around the end of the year?

Associate
Its a between a 7850 and 7870 but with more memory availble and more ROPS, and you can "code to the metal" rather than be hampered by PC API's. At 1080P ir shouldnt have much of an issue TBH.

Not to spoil any fun (I will be getting a ps4 myself) but this is a bit of a myth, there is still an abstraction layers between the code and the metal. No one codes games assembler any more let alone machine code.

I agree it may be taking less library calls then going through a windows box but all the code will be compiled of one sort and another and comms with the gpu is still going through open gl libraries.

The relative performance increase between the console and the equivalent desktop card has more to do with optimisation of one target hardware, rather than having to worry about multiple hardware targets.

Soldato
I'm curious how the GAME units will manage the demand. I traded a load of Blue rays and games as I would never get around to playing them and used some of the credit towards the £20 deposit. I did not ask too much info other than would I be forced to attend a midnight launch or could I pick it up the next day instead.

I got a pretty vague answer which is understandable as the release is still some time away. Now I am curious if the £20 deposit will secure a unit on release day or is there some hidden small print protecting them if demand outstrips the supply?!

Also got no desire to walk through Camden town at midnight with a very obvious new console in a huge bag!!!:D

Any GAME employees able to pass on the companies directions at this point.

I ordered the PS4 and XB1 with a local GAME store yesterday, the guy was saying they've had quite a bit of pre-orders for both consoles (just over 200 each) and they had received word from head office that morning that at the rate they're taking pre-orders they will only be able to guarantee pre-orders at launch for maybe another week unless pre-orders really slow down. I don't know if that has any truth to it or whether it's just a tactic to pressure people into pre-ordering sooner.

He did say I was guaranteed both consoles at launch though, I had pre-ordered early enough. Again I don't know if that has truth to it, would GAME stores know how many units they're getting yet? I really don't think so.

Associate
I ordered the PS4 and XB1 with a local GAME store yesterday, the guy was saying they've had quite a bit of pre-orders for both consoles (just over 200 each) and they had received word from head office that morning that at the rate they're taking pre-orders they will only be able to guarantee pre-orders at launch for maybe another week unless pre-orders really slow down. I don't know if that has any truth to it or whether it's just a tactic to pressure people into pre-ordering sooner.

He did say I was guaranteed both consoles at launch though, I had pre-ordered early enough. Again I don't know if that has truth to it, would GAME stores know how many units they're getting yet? I really don't think so.

Sounds similar to when I spoke to them. I guess it was the manager and he seemed competent but surely they are offering something which might be hard ro deliver on?! They also asked me would I like to put a pre order down on the new xbox as apparently a lot of people were doing this!

I didnt feel he was pushing the sale as such......maybe they will wait to see how many preoders theh take as a company and sony will be able to fulfill given enough time. For instance the company has takeb 100,000 by end of july......they let sony know.....and they then allocate from there?!

Soldato
Sounds similar to when I spoke to them. I guess it was the manager and he seemed competent but surely they are offering something which might be hard ro deliver on?! They also asked me would I like to put a pre order down on the new xbox as apparently a lot of people were doing this!

I didnt feel he was pushing the sale as such......maybe they will wait to see how many preoders theh take as a company and sony will be able to fulfill given enough time. For instance the company has takeb 100,000 by end of july......they let sony know.....and they then allocate from there?!

Actually it was the opposite for me, I pre-ordered the PS4 then after that I told him I wanted to pre-order the XB1 as well and he started laughing cause I pointed out my wife who was a few metres behind me rolling her eyes and he said to be fair very few people had come in and pre-ordered both.

So what launch games are people pre-ordering?

PS4:

Killzone: Shadowfall
Watch Dogs

XB1:

CoD: Ghosts
Killer Instinct

Caporegime
So what launch games are people pre-ordering?

Not preordered any yet. I want to see if Game offer any bundles when they become available.

However, the games I will deffo be getting whatever are:

Fifa 14
AC4: Black Flag
Watch Dogs

I'm also thinking about that game they showed, The Order: 1886. But may well wait to see the reviews on that one. I think it's a given that the 3 titles I've mentioned will be good. The early lineup seems more exciting than the PS3's was.

Associate
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...-4-launch-edition-already-sold-out-at-amazon/

Riding a wave? Sony has everything going for them :D

This line has me even more surprised though :eek:

In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom