*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

V F

V F

Soldato
Lots of warm air coming out the rear vents now? Though I must say, the PS4 is nowhere as hot as the PS3, even Super Slim PS3.

Soldato
I did the same earlier this year. Cleaning out the heatsink between the PSU and the rest of the system really helps too, the fins are so tight together that they get full of dust.

Caporegime
Lots of warm air coming out the rear vents now? Though I must say, the PS4 is nowhere as hot as the PS3, even Super Slim PS3.
Those PS3s were ridiculous. Fully stripped down my brother's PS3, cleaned it all out and re-applied paste. It made basically no difference at all. Within minutes of starting any game, the noise was unbearable. Closed headphones or don't bother.

No way in hell would I buy a console that loud, although my 360 was pretty close.

Still, I hear the PS4 Pro is a fair bit quieter than the regular/slim (which in itself isn't loud). Can anyone confirm?

V F

V F

Soldato
Those PS3s were ridiculous. Fully stripped down my brother's PS3, cleaned it all out and re-applied paste. It made basically no difference at all. Within minutes of starting any game, the noise was unbearable. Closed headphones or don't bother.

No way in hell would I buy a console that loud, although my 360 was pretty close.

Still, I hear the PS4 Pro is a fair bit quieter than the regular/slim (which in itself isn't loud). Can anyone confirm?

The problem was with the fat PS3’s over time were re-pasting wouldn’t help. What really happened was the lead free solder on the GPU weakened. It got hotter and hotter until the solder cracked. Hence the instant loudness of the fan and eventually the YLOD. It happened to my 40GB PS3.

Don
Yep the air coming out is pretty hot, and can feel the fan working (even if I can only just hear it)

My ps4 is fairly quiet. except for a weird drive sound. I'd be scared to open it up.
The PS4 isn't actually that bad to open up imo - at least their is only 1 ribbon cable to remove (and they put some thought into it and put pull tabs and release clips on it). Still nerve wracking working on something that still costs £200+ (and wasn't technically broken) though :D

The problem was with the fat PS3’s over time were re-pasting wouldn’t help. What really happened was the lead free solder on the GPU weakened. It got hotter and hotter until the solder cracked. Hence the instant loudness of the fan and eventually the YLOD. It happened to my 40GB PS3.
Indeed - repaired a couple of YLOD launch 60GB's - more through necessity than choice. My original launch one YLOD whilst playing Uncharted 3 that I had borrowed from my boss at work, so had to rescue the disc anyway (as manual eject doesnt work once YLOD has set in), and repaired another launch 60GB where my current boss had stored lots of irreplaceable family photos on his PS3, only to find it YLOD when he next wanted to retrieve them :D

Soldato
Did my launch ps3 but it didn’t last that long.

Shame cause that was a cracking console. I always thought that launch model looked like a quality piece of kit, much better than the versions that followed it.

Soldato
Just got around to looking at the ps+ games last night and have to say, after a couple of very good months, this one is terrible.

I tried playing the 2d brawler too thing. Movement feels like wading through treacle.

V F

V F

Soldato
Did my launch ps3 but it didn’t last that long.

Shame cause that was a cracking console. I always thought that launch model looked like a quality piece of kit, much better than the versions that followed it.

Yeah, loved the shiny black piano gloss.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me whether it's worth upgrading from a PS4 slim to a PS4 Pro? There are some really good deals on the Pro at the moment, I could sell any bundled games and my PS4 slim and probably end up paying around £100 to upgrade to the Pro. For that sort of money is it worth it? I've got a good 4k TV by the way.

Soldato
Deals: PS4 Pro Price Drop Temporarily Rolled Out in the UK

Sony’s temporarily slashed the price of the PlayStation 4 Pro in the UK – pretty heavily, too. At the time of typing, you can currently snag Sony’s supercharged system alongside Call of Duty: WWII and either FIFA 18 or Gran Turismo Sportfor £299.99. Factor in the price of the software, and you’re effectively getting the 4K format for little over £200 – which is seriously aggressive when you consider Microsoft’s flogging the Xbox One X for £450 this Christmas.

The deals extend to the White PS4 Pro if you’d prefer that one. Don’t forget that you can find a constantly updating list of all the Best PS4 Black Friday 2017 UK Deals through the link.

Back
Top Bottom