**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Associate
Long time lurker here....

I came from an S8+ for those asking. I find the note better in the following ways:

• It's easier to hold, definitely doesn't feel as slippy in the hand as the S8+ did
  • It's faster, though that could be just because it's fresh out of the box
  • The screen is better. It's a small improvement, but you can tell
  • Face unlock is much faster and more reliable than it ever was on the S8+
  • It has a pen! Obvious yeah but it's one of the reasons I love it

Caporegime
OP
Do they officially let you remap it though? Think I will use whatever 3rd party app there is as it would be great as a shutter button.

Edit - a little bonus for us UK/Exynos users, GSMArean's review suggests battery life should be a bit better compared to the Snapdragon variant including standby times.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on using wireless fast charge function?
As the battery is fixed & not easily replaced, do you think it would be better to charge at a standard rate to preserve the battery.

Did a wireless charge on Sunday morning & from 0% to full took 3 hours 15 mins.
So far after 25 hours bieng off charge I still have 64% left :D

Soldato
I've found the speed of the charging with the adaptive fast charger and the fast charging mat to both be a fair bit slower than the OnePlus dash charge, I'm going to miss that.

Also the location of the fingerprint sensor.... :mad:

Soldato
I actually like where the fingerprint sensor is. Works well for me & is stupidly quick.
As for the speed of the wireless charge, I'm not too fussed on how long it takes but more concerened on how it will affect battery life 2 years down the line.

Soldato
I tried again today but got the same with the IMEI. If no confirmation email arrives by Wednesday I will contact them.

I've still not had anything come through. You had anything yet?
I seemed to remember reading something, somewhere(?) saying confirmation could take 2 days... am I making that up?

Soldato
Anyone have any idea when these will be back in stock on the Samsung site or is it just a case of checking every day ? Seriously considering one of these over the iPhone X as it's 0% interest ! The X is £47 a month where as this is just £32 , quite a difference !

Associate
My battery is goosed I reckon . 1.5 hours screen on time Today taken off charge at 6.45am and I have 40% left.

What's the best way to do a factory reset and restore?

I initially used smart switch which I have read a few places gives rubbish battery life.

Should I factory reset and then restore from Samsung cloud backup?

Associate
What is your signal like where you work and at home?
That can have a big impact.

Where are your contacts backed up and your photos?

First time I've come across regarding smart switch giving bad battery life, where did you read that?

Associate
I think it was either here or on an Android forum.

The signal in my home office is a bit rubbish but it doesn't effect my work iPhone too badly.

I have just backed up everything to Samsung cloud. My contacts are also backed to google

Soldato
My battery is goosed I reckon . 1.5 hours screen on time Today taken off charge at 6.45am and I have 40% left.

What's the best way to do a factory reset and restore?

I initially used smart switch which I have read a few places gives rubbish battery life.

Should I factory reset and then restore from Samsung cloud backup?

Go into battery stats and look for any apps using 0.3% per hour and above. Uninstall any apps that are and re install them. Smart switch did some funky stuff with Android Pay and a couple of other apps for me..

Last edited:
Soldato
I've found the speed of the charging with the adaptive fast charger and the fast charging mat to both be a fair bit slower than the OnePlus dash charge, I'm going to miss that.

Also the location of the fingerprint sensor.... :mad:
snapdragon, right? change it for a qualcomm quick charge, they are much faster. Samsung adaptive fast chargers favour temperature deltas over charging time, so they minimise the heat induced by charge. They work best when the phone is off and worst when you're using it.

Really interesting article on fast charging technologies:
https://www.xda-developers.com/charging-comparison-oneplus-huawei/

Last edited:
Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on using wireless fast charge function?
As the battery is fixed & not easily replaced, do you think it would be better to charge at a standard rate to preserve the battery.
With my S7 edge most of the time I just used the standard(slower) speed wireless charging..(As it not good to fast charge a battery all the time)

Reason being: I keep my wireless charger on my bedside table so I just put it on charge every night when I go to bed..
My mobile phone is also my alarm clock ;)

Soldato
With my S7 edge most of the time I just used the standard(slower) speed wireless charging..(As it not good to fast charge a battery all the time)

Reason being: I keep my wireless charger on my bedside table so I just put it on charge every night when I go to bed..
My mobile phone is also my alarm clock ;)

My thinking as well. Thanks for confirming.

Associate
Go into battery stats and look for any apps using 0.3% per hour and above. Uninstall any apps that are and re install them. Smart switch did some funky stuff with Android Pay and a couple of other apps for me..

The highest I have in there is podcast addict which is 0.12%

Back
Top Bottom