**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Soldato
Having had the Note 7 and begrudgingly having to return it then take a lesser S7Edge at the tail end of last year (still a little miffed over the resale value vs a Note model), I ordered the Note 8, not so sure about the fingerprint reader as I am used to the reader being on the home button. Im a big fan of the spigen neo hybrid cases having had Spigen since my original Note N7000.

Soldato
Having had the Note 7 and begrudgingly having to return it then take a lesser S7Edge at the tail end of last year (still a little miffed over the resale value vs a Note model), I ordered the Note 8, not so sure about the fingerprint reader as I am used to the reader being on the home button. Im a big fan of the spigen neo hybrid cases having had Spigen since my original Note N7000.
Ordered the spigen neo hybrid too.

Soldato
Imfy2k, you may have just tempted me into a Note 8... damn you! Just at this very moment trying to switch on a crusty old iphone 4 that's been laying around the house for years :p Anyway, I notice the Samsung site has the dual sim version or single sim, which did you go for?

Associate
Imfy2k, you may have just tempted me into a Note 8... damn you! Just at this very moment trying to switch on a crusty old iphone 4 that's been laying around the house for years :p Anyway, I notice the Samsung site has the dual sim version or single sim, which did you go for?
If you go dual sim you can’t use the memory card expansion slot

Associate
So, ordered a Note 8 from Samsung UK Site for £619.76 delivered (plus £18.59 quidco tracked already), can pay outright or get 24 months interest free, this is not the Upgrade Program.

They have an offer on, trade in any iPhone (lowest is iPhone 4) and they will knock off £149 off the price (https://www.samsung.com/uk/samsung-switch/)

they also have another offer, if you use Samsung Recycle, they give you £100 voucher to use on a Galaxy Phone (https://www.samsungrecycle.co.uk/)

these offers can be stacked and works.

Now once you submit the Samsung Recycle Quote, they send you the voucher straight away, so looks like you can use it without actually sending your old phone to recycle.

Of course you will need an old iphone for the Samsung Switch offer. Even buying one for £30 from ebay, it still works out good. fyi you 100% need to send in the iphone as the T+C say they will take legal action.

Only T+C for the £100 voucher is: "Voucher code provided when any device is traded in on samsungrecycle.co.uk. If the trade in does not proceed for any reason, the voucher code may not be used" (https://www.samsungrecycle.co.uk/voucher-terms-and-conditions), oh and you cant stack the £100 vouchers, i tried lol

Lets see what happens, rather happy with this deal
How do you send the one iPhone back to them via the switch and their recycle Partner? Do you need two phones?

Soldato
How do you send the one iPhone back to them via the switch and their recycle Partner? Do you need two phones?

Once the note arrives I think they include the returns package for the iPhone. They need it within 7 Days

Technically you only need one phone (iPhone)

The other phone is for the recycle site that gives you instant £100 off voucher. Not sure if they actually need this phone as you can use the voucher instantly, the t and c don’t say anything about taking legal action on this one.

Soldato
After around 90 minutes on charge, the ancient iphone 4 came to life. It switched on and I managed to get the IMEI number of it. Note 8 ordered for £620 :) If I can get £500+ now for my S8+ I'll be pleased. Thanks again Imfy2k, look forward to getting a Note again after having the Note 1,2,3 and 4 previously...

Soldato
After around 90 minutes on charge, the ancient iphone 4 came to life. It switched on and I managed to get the IMEI number of it. Note 8 ordered for £620 :) If I can get £500+ now for my S8+ I'll be pleased. Thanks again Imfy2k, look forward to getting a Note again after having the Note 1,2,3 and 4 previously...

Nice one mate. I need to shift an s8+ too lol

Soldato
wow, 44 pages on this thing?

Ok, well, I am a note user. I got the Note 3 as my first note, and simply never went back.

I went for the S7 but didnt like it, and then the S7 Edge, in the silly hope that it would be better, but I sent that back too! - Annoyingly, I am the sort of person, who has covers and hard glass screens, and I bought a load of them ready for the S7 and the Edge, but then I ended up with a laod of covers that I dont need... They have been going out slowly to people I know who has the 7 so I suppose its not wasted entirely.

I did go through a small time with the Note 5, however it murdered batteries, so much so, that I ended up buying battery backpacks for it, and even with the backpack, I could not watch a full movie from start to finish without it needing to be charged. Even on standby, I had maybe 2 hours before it was flat? - I had it changed by a professional but it made zero difference, and as the Note 5 was NOT officially released in the UK,Samsung would not help out. I ended up making a huge loss when I threw it on ebay... Also along with over a dozen covers and cases and what not.

Now I have the 8 and I will be completely honest, but it does nothing that the 3 didnt do for me.... Sure, its quicker and has a better rez, but for me, it does nothing.

I think more icons on the screen is the only thing I found that the Note 3 didnt do, but then the 5 did that, and Im sure the 4 does too?

Another thing that I do find really annoying, is that when Iwas copying everything over from my Note 3 to the Note 8, so much stuff simply failed to copy due to storage space??? - this is something that really piddled me off, because, while I am using the same MicroSD from the Note 3 in the Note 8, the Note 8 has 64GB while my note 3 only has 32GB ( LOL only? ) and there was about 13 apps that failed to copy as there was not enough space for them? - That, I found utterly stupid.

All in all, for me, the Note, being just a pube off a grand, was a complete waste of money, and yet at the same time, would I do without it? No way! - I am keeping my Note 3 though... I do prefer the size on the Note 3... Slightly stockier, ( wider and shorter ) than the 8 by a tiny bit, but being a short fat idiot, it suits me.

Oh, one thing that is bugging me though... As I said earlier, I use glass screen protectors on my phones rather than the thin flimsy bubble magnets, and I have bought 4 screen protectors for this, and all 4 have done the same thing... Not allowed full keyboard control, always the bottom/right has needed a harder press on a few buttons, and then the screen has come off within a few days! - Does a nice screen protector actually exist for this phone? - Sure, its covered, but I would still prefer to have it properly protected by a gorilla glass, even if it IS pure placebo. My note 3 for example is still in absolutely pristine condition and its been through hell, even come out of my pocket at over 60MPH on my Trike, and its still imaculate. I would like that same level of protection for the Note 8 - especially given its price.

Oh, one other thing that has annoyed me, is that when I connect it to my PC, it causes some issues.

If I try opening up the My Computer, it just sits there with a blank screen and does nothing. Disconnecting it, then lets the drives show up and everything is good.

I use Wondershare mobile go, and this program access the phone just fine, but not Windows?

I uninstalled the phone in the Device Manager and after I re-sorted its drivers, that allowed Windows to access it, but only for a while... Its done the same again, and this time, it wont find the drivers? - Wondershare still works fine though?

I have a whole load of Tablets and phones ( Im a hoarder ) and they all access just fine, but not this Note 8.

Wipeing the phone also cures it but again, only temporarily!

Other than that, I love the thing.

Soldato
This will be the first time I'm going back to a Note since the Note 4, I've had the s7e and the s8+ and tbh I'm not expecting much over my current phone however like you ^ I've always just preferred the Note series. Would I have bought it at near £900 though? Definitely not. It was the price that swayed me in the end. Mine should be arriving today..

Caporegime
OP
After my recent moan about the battery, it goes and does something like this....

9llu29.jpg

:D

Soldato

sorry, just seen this.

go for the Single Sim as the the dual sim handsets apparently doesn't support VoLTE on some networks.

Mine is arriving today, il let you know what they send to send the iphone back to them

Soldato
My brother is on holiday in Dubai. Said he can get me the note for £750.

Am I correct is thinking it should work here and also come with a 1 yr international warranty?

Associate
My brother is on holiday in Dubai. Said he can get me the note for £750.

Am I correct is thinking it should work here and also come with a 1 yr international warranty?

Someone else may know for sure but I think they may be tied to the Carrier Adjacency Multiplex Enhanced Layer networks rather than classic HSDPA/4G/LTE :)

Back
Top Bottom