**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Associate
I am after people's thought's, I can get the Note 8 for under £800 through work, but I am really undecide between this phone or the Pixel XL2. I really like the look of the Note, but then the Pixel gives guaranteed software updates for a number of years. I know the Pixels screen issues are well documented & for the sort of money they want for the phone, I find it a bit off putting. It's been a number of years since I owned a Samsung phone, so I am out of touch with how prompt they are with their software updates? The other factor is that I currently use a Huawei Mate 9, which is a really good device, so I am battling with the fact, that in truth I don't need a new phone & am fighting that I want a new gadget urge!!

Associate
I am after people's thought's, I can get the Note 8 for under £800 through work, but I am really undecide between this phone or the Pixel XL2. I really like the look of the Note, but then the Pixel gives guaranteed software updates for a number of years. I know the Pixels screen issues are well documented & for the sort of money they want for the phone, I find it a bit off putting. It's been a number of years since I owned a Samsung phone, so I am out of touch with how prompt they are with their software updates? The other factor is that I currently use a Huawei Mate 9, which is a really good device, so I am battling with the fact, that in truth I don't need a new phone & am fighting that I want a new gadget urge!!

I may be wrong, but I know Samsung have/are releasing an enterprise version of the note 8 with3 years support, so in theory once mainstream updates run out I expect any community such as xda to have plenty of available updates past the initial two years. That may just be security updates, but likely major android version updates to keep it current and save a load of issues with security. However if you don't use community sites I would anticipate two possibly three major android increments. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the enterprise version and how it may help? #justmyopinion

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all.

Got a Note 8 at the weekend and was hoping one of you can help.

Is it possible to make skin tones look a bit more natural? When I have the note next to my old 7plus you can see skin tones seem to be rather red and look more natural on the iPhone. Is there anything I can do to configure it? or recommendations for settings?

I'm currently set to WQHD+ resolution, Adaptive Display, Colour balance set all the way to cool, and on advanced they are all currently the stock max for RGB.

Many thanks,

Soldato
Hi all.

Got a Note 8 at the weekend and was hoping one of you can help.

Is it possible to make skin tones look a bit more natural? When I have the note next to my old 7plus you can see skin tones seem to be rather red and look more natural on the iPhone. Is there anything I can do to configure it? or recommendations for settings?

I'm currently set to WQHD+ resolution, Adaptive Display, Colour balance set all the way to cool, and on advanced they are all currently the stock max for RGB.

Many thanks,
Set display mode to basic and see what you think compared to your iPhone.

Soldato
Set display mode to basic and see what you think compared to your iPhone.

Gave that a bash and it made the Reds a bit better but killed the white.

I've gone back to Adaptive but knocked the Red all the way down bar one, Green is about 3/4 and Blue on full. Coolness is one from bottom.

I'll just keep messing around until I get it right. Got to bare in mind it's different screen tech too so I won't get a like-for-like match. Besides that one thing the screen on it is unreal.

Soldato
The accurate white point is around the 6500k mark which is what basic mode is. Though if your used to a colder white point it will take a few days for your eyes to adjust to it.

Soldato
The accurate white point is around the 6500k mark which is what basic mode is. Though if your used to a colder white point it will take a few days for your eyes to adjust to it.

I've switched it to basic now and will give myself some time to adjust and get used to the screen. It probably doesn't help I'm running it alongside my old iPhone at the minute.

I had a quick Google and saw a few topics on the issue all of which have said the same as you and to turn it to basic. :) Need to not get caught up in the whole having it set super bright etc so that's apparently the best à la what Samsung do with their TV's. If that makes sense...

Associate
My battery seems to be draining a bit quicker the last couple of days. Not really sure why at the moment. Haven't installed any new apps recently. Can anyone suggest a monitoring app?

Associate
I can't decide whether the Note 8 is worth the extra over the S8+.

I'm upgrading from a Oneplus 3, because i want a better camera for taking pictures and video of my kids. I had considered a few other phones but it just seem like the Samsung phones are well ahead of everything else in terms of camera. Expect the Pixel, but i don't fancy a Pixel 2XL for some reason. Maybe not so much colour reproduction, but image quality and stability, especially at higher res seem better in the sample videos.

Had a Note 2 many years ago, and didn't really use the stylus much, i know they've advanced a bit since then, but don't expect i'll use it that much, so with the screen being almost identical, it's mainly the difference in camera between the two that i'm considering, and maybe the fact the Note is newer and potentially will get updates for a little longer.

I'll be buying the phone outright, so it's £820 for the note, versus £620 for the S8+, Is the camera upgrade worth the extra? and is there anything else that is much different between the two?

Caporegime
OP

At that price difference, it's tough but you shouldn't be paying £820 for the Note - mine cost me around £650 when it came out (£869 - 20% - £50 for the free DeX I sold).

For the camera, I don't use Live Focus that much but when you include the stylus (even if not used that much) plus the extra 2GB of RAM* - it's worth it.

*I haven't experienced the usual "Samsung lag" after around 6 months but have a couple of friends who have on the S8/S8+ and would imagine the extra 2GB would help nicely for the years to come.

If you are basing it on just the camera and can't get the Note 8 for <£700, go with the S8+. If you can get for <£700 and include the stylus and extra RAM in your decision, go for the Note 8.

LTT did an interesting video of the leading Android smart phone camera. Results were as I expected apart from the V30:

Didn't expect the Note 8 to be as soft/include less detail as much as it did in Live Focus compared to the competition. In my experience, the more light the better and it does a decent job in most circumstances. Took this at the weekend (pocket to shot in a few seconds):

2d8kvmu.jpg

EDIT - this phone is ridiculous sometimes. I swear since getting my BT headphones, the battery has improved. 4hr7min SoT with 44% :D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom