**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Associate
Thanks for the info above, I've not seen the Note 8 anywhere for sale at less than £800 at a store or site I trust to be honest. Ended up ordering it through work, so I've not actually paid anywhere near the retail price for it. As work provide me with a sim package, they've also sorted me out a discounted phone.

I've not had much chance to play around with the camera setting yet, but pictures so far are much better than the OP3 it replaced.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I was going to report back some tasty looking offers but both sites looked a little dodgy and didn't review well on Trust Pilot.

Glad you got the Note 8 - it's a great phone. My battery and performance have yet to drop (I reported on a small dip in the battery earlier in this thread but think that was a blip/usage change as my battery is smashing it out of the park right now). The only slow down I have noticed is opening a lot of tabs in Chrome with streaming videos but I was essentially hammering it.

A few basic tips and tricks in the OP including my favourite - advert free/background YouTube without root :cool:

Soldato
Got this for £680 in Dubai. Came with a 128gb sd card. Still to sell my S6.

Glad I went for this over the S8+. The camera alone with the bokeh makes for some amazing shots. Got some great portraits of my little boy on the beach whilst I was there.

I'm finding I'm using the stylus more than expected. Preferring it to surf and also reply to texts. Few times used it for quick memos on the lock screen.

Went for the spigen tough armour case.

Any useful apps to utilise the edge display or stylus?

Associate
Has anyone found a decent screen protector for this? I've tried a temper glass protector, but has it only stuck around the edges the centre lifted off marking touch responses poor. I've now got a film type, but not happy with the feel or quality.

I'm considering going for the genuine flip style case and not having a protector on. But would prefer not to have a flip case if there is a good screen protector option available.

Soldato
Has anyone found a decent screen protector for this? I've tried a temper glass protector, but has it only stuck around the edges the centre lifted off marking touch responses poor. I've now got a film type, but not happy with the feel or quality.

I'm considering going for the genuine flip style case and not having a protector on. But would prefer not to have a flip case if there is a good screen protector option available.

If you want scratches buy a flip case. Guaranteed every time.

Soldato
If you want scratches buy a flip case. Guaranteed every time.
Yup, only time I've ever bust a note screen was my note 4 in the genuine flip case, when it falls it butterflies open beautifully.
My last few notes have all been covered with spigen neo hybrids and apart from the odd fine scratch, all have survived well.

Associate
I've had flip cases before without issues, my main concern was whether it would fit in the car holder. But in honesty i'd much rather have a normal case with a screen protector on.

I've already got a spigen case, so i've ordered the screen protector too, to give that a try.

Shame the temper glass stuff doesn't seem to work well with the curved screen. There it the White dome thing, but i don't really want to pay £40 at this this stage.

On another note, i can't believe how much the battery life has improved over the last few days, Last charge i got 6 hours SOT, and 30+ hours between charging, still had 15% battery left too. Yet at one point i was only getting 3 hours screen on time for similar discharge time.

Soldato

I got rid of the official clear view for the Gear4, (Oxford) best flip case I've found thus far. Lovely quality with a dropped recess next to the fingerprint sensor that acts as a guide. I wouldn't even bother with a decent screen protector as this as been drop tested from a height of three metres:

https://www.gear4.com/oxford-galaxy-note-8.html

Soldato
I upgraded the firmware last night with the new debranded one on XDA. I wanted to get rid of the Vodafone branding, the only mistake I made was to use the XEF region so although exactly the same my phone is now running the French version(the only difference is the XEF rather than BTU title in the software version). Anyway it has the December security patches, more importantly though my phone has been off charge since 5am this morning and just under 12hrs later I still have 45% battery left. Normally at this point my phone would have needed charging mid way through the day, hopefully the optimisations they talk about in the release notes are actually making a difference.

Soldato
I upgraded the firmware last night with the new debranded one on XDA. I wanted to get rid of the Vodafone branding, the only mistake I made was to use the XEF region so although exactly the same my phone is now running the French version(the only difference is the XEF rather than BTU title in the software version). Anyway it has the December security patches, more importantly though my phone has been off charge since 5am this morning and just under 12hrs later I still have 45% battery left. Normally at this point my phone would have needed charging mid way through the day, hopefully the optimisations they talk about in the release notes are actually making a difference.

Wifi calling still work on vodafone after ?

Soldato
Yes it worked fine. I was a bit annoyed I put the XEF on there so tried to load XUE for the UK which it wouldn't load. So I put the VOD firmware on instead and will change to XEU on the next update. Now has the December updates with the Voda firmware and hopefully still better battery life.

Soldato
Just got my note 8 yesterday coming from a nexus 6. I never normally bother with screen protectors nor cases as i prefer the look and feel of the naked phones. But i am reading a disturbing number of reports about this scratching easier than older phones? Has anyone had this problem?

If so what are the recommended cases/protectors needed to keep this from getting scratched without completely destroying the look of the phone? A bit of extra grip wouldnt hurt i guess as it's a slippery sucker.

Along the same vain, i have a fiesta 15 plate (bad with cars, not sure of model numbers etc think its mk7?) could anyone recommend a good mount so that i could use this as a sat nav? Proclip get a lot of love on various forums that attach to the 'A' pillar?

Cheers all

Associate
Just got my note 8 yesterday coming from a nexus 6. I never normally bother with screen protectors nor cases as i prefer the look and feel of the naked phones. But i am reading a disturbing number of reports about this scratching easier than older phones? Has anyone had this problem?

If so what are the recommended cases/protectors needed to keep this from getting scratched without completely destroying the look of the phone? A bit of extra grip wouldnt hurt i guess as it's a slippery sucker.

Along the same vain, i have a fiesta 15 plate (bad with cars, not sure of model numbers etc think its mk7?) could anyone recommend a good mount so that i could use this as a sat nav? Proclip get a lot of love on various forums that attach to the 'A' pillar?

Cheers all

I haven't gone with a protector for the this phone or the S7 Edge that I had, mainly due to preferring a tempered glass protector and them being less suitable on the curved screens. However, the Whitestone Dome protectors have had a few positive mentions in this thread and am yet to try this.

No scratches on the screen as of yet but I do keep the phone in a pocket on its own and have a skin on the back to prevent scratches from dust/grit that settles between the case and the phone.

The Brodit system is quite good. Once you have the main mount, such as that for the A-pillar, when you change phone you purchase the appropriate clip for your model of phone. There may be two types one for a naked phone and one for a phone with a case.

Depending on how often you change cars and phone, a universal suction mount or vent clip may be more suitable but the Brodit gives a more fitted look.

Soldato
The vent ones worry me as i feel they could damage the vents and/or surely the hot air is an issue? The note is also a weighty phone. Also to use a magnetic one i would also have to use a case for the metal to attach to. I have seen this spigen kuel stealth that looks okay, but would have to clamp it to the bottom half of the phone only so i'm not sure if prolonged use/vibrations could damage the glass or not.

Back
Top Bottom