**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Soldato
So whats everyones thoughts who skipped the S8 to wait for the Note8?

Little disappointing so far for me.. The more info that comes out the more disappointed I am. Its looking like no under the surface finger print scanner..There was rumours it would be a Snapdragon 836 which is a higher clocked 835...but looks like that's not going to be true. Bigger price... only a 3300ma Battery.

6GB of ram and Dual cameras seem to be the only change from what I can see and I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually only 4GB of ram.

If some of the specs are as reported it does seem a little underwhelming its just basically an S8 with an S PEN oh and dual camera . I know the Note 7 was an S7 with added s-pen iris scanner but it was 1st note since note 4 so it was a worthy upgrade for me ...if its just an S8+ PEN ..meh

oh and price :mad:

Man of Honour
Dunno what I'm gonna upgrade to - I like(d) the Note line but it isn't going in a direction that caters for me - my Note 4 is ok but occasionally glitchy and they are prone to serious issues. Just want a phone that is basically a Note 1 but with a little higher resolution screen, better camera, better battery life and 4G plus a bit of ingress and impact protection without a case wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited:
Soldato
That price... Ha. And there's some people giving oneplus a hard time.

I think that's because the prices of the OP5 are against what the company stood for in the first instance.

Samsung release flagship prices and it's never been not the case the prices are sky high.

Soldato
I think that's because the prices of the OP5 are against what the company stood for in the first instance.

Samsung release flagship prices and it's never been not the case the prices are sky high.
The price of the OP5 might not be what some wanted but I don't see it as overpriced. On the other hand when the Note 8 lands in at £800+...I can honestly say it is overpriced. And quite substantially.

Permabanned

That and the current prices in Europe for the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 which you can obtain for similar money.

If you could only get the Galaxy S8 for the RRP as quoted on Samsung's website I don''t think we would be making that comparison, however they're available for much less than that if you shop around.

As a result the OnePlus 5 looks like pretty crappy value, yes it's near stock but so are half a dozen other phones from last year for half the price.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If only the Note 8 was coming out a few months later, I really want an edge to edge display with a built in FPS in the screen:

Obviously needs work but great to see.

Soldato
The price of the OP5 might not be what some wanted but I don't see it as overpriced. On the other hand when the Note 8 lands in at £800+...I can honestly say it is overpriced. And quite substantially.

Yes but the OnePlus brand was all about top end specs for much less, the fact you can source flagships from other manufacturers for prices of the OP5, it completely goes against the whole philosophy of One Plus, at which point you turn to look at the likes of XiaoMi with the Mi6.

At the end of the day though, I think all phones are overpriced!

Soldato
Hanging on to my note 4 in the hope the N8 is a worthwhile replacement.
My 4 is starting to play up a bit now, randomly locking up & rebooting.
Battery life is very poor these days even with a replacement Anker battery.

Most worrying thing though is how hot its running, after 30 mins of web browsing the screen is so hot I can't touch it!

If the N8 is a flop, then I'll have to look elsewhere, no idea what though.

Permabanned

How can it not be overpriced when a year earlier they were selling the OnePlus 3 for £309 (or £329 after brexit).

It's basically the same phone with a few upgrades,.

Snapdragon 835 (30% faster)
8GB RAM option (Pointless)
128GB Storage option (Some might appreciate this one)
Dual Camera (Mid range main camera and gimmicky second camera nobody wanted)
16MP Front camera (Yes, because more megapixels is always better)
Slightly bigger battery

Generally speaking things should improve over a year so most if not all of these improvements should be coming at no increased cost to the consumer, if they could sell for that price last year why the increase this year? there is nothing in that list to justify that price increase, nothing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That completely depends on your definition of 'overpriced'. Pricing strategy generally targets revenue / profit maximisation, and far more clever people than you at Samsung have worked out what the best price skimming price should be ;).

Everyone knows that a commercial product begins its life targeting those least sensitive to price.

Soldato
That completely depends on your definition of 'overpriced'. Pricing strategy generally targets revenue / profit maximisation, and far more clever people than you at Samsung have worked out what the best price skimming price should be ;).

Everyone knows that a commercial product begins its life targeting those least sensitive to price.
Ha yeah, must be those same clever people that decided on the fingerprint location. :p

Whatever the case, people will find something to moan about no matter what and that's me included. I am slowly but surely learning not to divulge into these types of discussions. :)

Soldato

Very true I can think of Fruity company who have made it in to a near religion of selling an over priced product to a willing congregation :p

Caporegime
OP
Supposed first live image up (in the OP) with a close up of the camera set up. Headphone jack likely to be included :)

Just seen the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 - similar phone but with a 4,500mAh. Might keep an eye on this as an alternative.

Caporegime
No e-pen though? I've got a serious boner for this phone; don't care about the stupid finger print scanner location (though it is really good in the iPhones). 4K screen with tiny bezels and a decent s-pen...yes please.

Back
Top Bottom