*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
The steam deck is already cheap enough why are they doing silly scalper/bot only discounts that sell-out in minutes.

If anything its anti consumer because only resellers have the programs to buy them fast enough.

Soldato
The steam deck is already cheap enough why are they doing silly scalper/bot only discounts that sell-out in minutes.

If anything its anti consumer because only resellers have the programs to buy them fast enough.
What rubbish. Pretty sure im not a bot and certainly not a scalper. I could have bought a 64, 256 or 512 model over the oast few days (they have been coming and going on and off)
I did pick up a Dock for my SD 256 model I already have.

Associate
I’ve tried 3 or 4 times but even though they show in stock by the time I checkout there is an error saying items in my basket are out of stock. I have my payment details saved so it’s only a couple of seconds to checkout. Even at 04:00 yesterday the same thing happened.

Soldato
What rubbish. Pretty sure im not a bot and certainly not a scalper. I could have bought a 64, 256 or 512 model over the oast few days (they have been coming and going on and off)
I did pick up a Dock for my SD 256 model I already have.

I was thinking about a dock but just not sure I'd get the use out of it.

Soldato
I was thinking about a dock but just not sure I'd get the use out of it.
I already have a cheap stand and a cheap Anker USB hub. The hub sits nicely inside the back of the stand but there are a few issues / annoyances. Thought i may asewll get an officuial one now I know I use the Stead Deck quite a lot

Associate
Any downsides to picking one of these up second hand and a year or so old? Do they change the specs on them or are they the same as when they were first released?

They're going for around £250 on fb marketplace.

Associate
Specs are the same, only issue is potentially battery or someone having opened it to replace the SSD & if you trust them to have done a decent job. Same as a lot of hardware really.

Associate
I've been trying to get one since they came out but they are always out of stock when I have the cash/in stock when I don't.

But out if interest, anyone who's had one from day 1 or early on, are they WORTH buying?

I'd love to hear the pros and cons from a long term owner while I keep trying to snare one

Soldato
Upgraded earlier.
256GB > 2TB. No big issues fitting the drive or reinstalling the OS.

In my haste I did forget to format my 256GB, so it still has SteamOS installed and my steam account signed in. Are well

Also to add. The new SSD is noticably faster than the 256GB I had in before, even closing an opening apps/games

LrnPgXW.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been trying to get one since they came out but they are always out of stock when I have the cash/in stock when I don't.

But out if interest, anyone who's had one from day 1 or early on, are they WORTH buying?

I'd love to hear the pros and cons from a long term owner while I keep trying to snare one

So I got mine at the end of summer last year and overall it's a flat out must purchase, the limitless possibilities of what you can do with this to have a great gaming experience is just fantastic. This evening I caved and purchased FF7 on steam, followed a little guide to install all the mods to make it look good and have embarked on a game I never quite got into as a kid with some really nice quality of like improvements!

I also use it when the misses wants to watch tv and I could do with gaming to not have to watch the tv, it gets played on the train and is just a great way to access pc gaming without bringing a pc.

For reference I do have an oled switch as well which is also amazing and really gotten me back into gaming (more for the accessibility opposed to power) and I treat them as compliments to each other opposed to direct rivals.

Soldato

Nowhere near since day 1 for me.
Quite recent after dipping my toe into handhelds with the RG35XX.

I bought it for higher end emulation which it does really well in some games - PS3 and Xbox original. Sega Naomi runs perfect. Virtua Tennis 2 arcade version is one of my msin games on SD

However i’ve found using it for XP games. Due to the way Proton (WINE) works, you can play games that even Windows 7/10/11 cannot.
You can also run games like Open1560 (Midtown madness linux remake) which runs really well on the Deck.

New / modern games work very well too - Dirt Rally 2 at 60fps, Quake 2 rtx and flight sim 2020!

Valve actively fix games based on user feedback and have recenly employed a team to work on Linux GPU drivers for SteamOS.

Basically, due to the OS and constant support from Valve its library and what it can do is endless.

Oh and its easily upgraded and RMA/warranty is good too.

Soldato
Upgraded earlier.
256GB > 2TB. No big issues fitting the drive or reinstalling the OS.

In my haste I did forget to format my 256GB, so it still has SteamOS installed and my steam account signed in. Are well

Also to add. The new SSD is noticably faster than the 256GB I had in before, even closing an opening apps/games

LrnPgXW.jpg
Is there a way to clone the existing hdd into the new hdd?

Soldato
Is there a way to clone the existing hdd into the new hdd?
I investigated this possibility last week.

Yes, but its not without issues - issues such as needing a 2230 enclosure to make the process easier. Some people commented their clones took many hours and other said the restore process took hours too and didnt always work.

It didnt seem worth it for the sake of a 15 min reimage and install a few apps and games in ~1 hour.

I need to setup a few things today such as protontricks with a couple games and add my images to shortcuts. Thats about it though. My Deck SSD was reasonably clean/minimal config. All enulators i had on the SD card so installing emudeck was all that was needed.

Soldato

Can you expand on what you mean by this? My 64gb Deck is on the way right now, and I got a 1TB m.2 ready for it. I was planning on booting it up with the default drive first, checking it etc, installing some games to test, then swapping the ssd. So do you need to format the the default drive first and also sign out before removing it? I doubt I will be using the 64gb emmc stick in anything so I can guess formatting it is not going to matter for me, but signing out?

Associate
Can you expand on what you mean by this? My 64gb Deck is on the way right now, and I got a 1TB m.2 ready for it. I was planning on booting it up with the default drive first, checking it etc, installing some games to test, then swapping the ssd. So do you need to format the the default drive first and also sign out before removing it? I doubt I will be using the 64gb emmc stick in anything so I can guess formatting it is not going to matter for me, but signing out?
You do not have to do this. Perhaps they wanted to sell the old SSD, but personally I'd keep it for warranty purposes.

Back
Top Bottom