*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

It's interesting that this little device has rekindled my "love" of PC gaming. Even though I don't have one nor do I intend really on getting one (at least this first model), it's great to see it running so many games. And of course, if the Steam Deck can run something than my aging 1070 PC certainly can. Even my new PS5 hasn't seen much action this last week since finishing Horizon II as I've been doing some Steam backlog.

I've ordered an Ayn Odin in the meantime. I've been mulling it over the last few days, but decided to pull the trigger.

Don't think my Deck would be due anytime soon, at least until June/July at the earliest. With any luck, if they ramp up product of the Odin, it could be here by mid April, and from research it looks really impressive, running GC and PS2 fairly strongly.

I preferred the form factor over the Deck, and I have all the current gen consoles which cover most modern games, so was mainly looking for a handheld to play things like Wind Waker and other older titles. At £206 delivered, it's more than half the price of the 256GB I ordered, and worst case, it seems that I'd be able to make my money back by reselling if I don't get along with it.

I've ordered an Ayn Odin in the meantime. I've been mulling it over the last few days, but decided to pull the trigger.

Don't think my Deck would be due anytime soon, at least until June/July at the earliest. With any luck, if they ramp up product of the Odin, it could be here by mid April, and from research it looks really impressive, running GC and PS2 fairly strongly.

I preferred the form factor over the Deck, and I have all the current gen consoles which cover most modern games, so was mainly looking for a handheld to play things like Wind Waker and other older titles. At £206 delivered, it's more than half the price of the 256GB I ordered, and worst case, it seems that I'd be able to make my money back by reselling if I don't get along with it.
that sounds interesting i've googled it and read some info about it will need to read more though keep us informed how soon you get it what you think ? my steam deck is after Q2 so i don't expect mine to arrive until july or beyond

that sounds interesting i've googled it and read some info about it will need to read more though keep us informed how soon you get it what you think ? my steam deck is after Q2 so i don't expect mine to arrive until july or beyond
Yeah, it's the first of its kind in this price range that can comfortably run that generation of console. Might sell my Series S if it runs Game Pass smoothly too!

Reading the reddit page for this, it seems people are receiving them ~1-1.5 months after their orders. Apparently they're making 300 per day, and I'm the 14,000 backer for this (although I think up to around 4/5000 have been shipped so far) so that should put me around the 30 day mark to ship, then its hopefully a week max to arrive here from China.

Also hoping I can avoid the customs taxes. Again, from reading up, it seems people in the rest of the EU got customs charges, but people ordering in the UK didn't, as there is some agreement in the UK.

Yeah, it's the first of its kind in this price range that can comfortably run that generation of console. Might sell my Series S if it runs Game Pass smoothly too!

Reading the reddit page for this, it seems people are receiving them ~1-1.5 months after their orders. Apparently they're making 300 per day, and I'm the 14,000 backer for this (although I think up to around 4/5000 have been shipped so far) so that should put me around the 30 day mark to ship, then its hopefully a week max to arrive here from China.

Also hoping I can avoid the customs taxes. Again, from reading up, it seems people in the rest of the EU got customs charges, but people ordering in the UK didn't, as there is some agreement in the UK.
i was looking at the super odin pack with the extra storage add onto that shipping and its above 300 quid for me not sure whether the dock you get with it is worth the extra though very tempted how did you pay ?

i was looking at the super odin pack with the extra storage add onto that shipping and its above 300 quid for me not sure whether the dock you get with it is worth the extra though very tempted how did you pay ?
It depends what your use of it will be. I don't need a case as I've got a Switch one that should house it, and it's possible to connect it to the tv without a dock. I'm not too fussed about TV usage, as for this type of emulation, handheld use is fine, and it's not going to be used as a PC or anything like that.

Also Base vs Pro. The Pro had the larger storage, but also 8GB RAM. From what I've read, this isn't really relevant for any of the emulation it can do. 4GB is more than enough. But its if you want to mess around witj windows etc. I also think if you got the base, you could pay ~£30 to upgrade it to bigger storage if you email them and PayPal the extra. I'm just going to make do with an SD card.

If you're comparing it price wise to the Deck, you have to add that into the price too, so for the cheapest deck, we would think the Dock that comes out for it would be at least £50 (most likely more), so that puts it at £400+.

I paid with fee free card, as it was listing it in HKD, and i wasn't sure if I'd get a transaction free by paying with my credit card.

They also release updates on the Odin every Friday on the Indiegogo page, and have said they're going to release an estimator to give a more accurate indicator of when your order will arrive too.

It depends what your use of it will be. I don't need a case as I've got a Switch one that should house it, and it's possible to connect it to the tv without a dock. I'm not too fussed about TV usage, as for this type of emulation, handheld use is fine, and it's not going to be used as a PC or anything like that.

Also Base vs Pro. The Pro had the larger storage, but also 8GB RAM. From what I've read, this isn't really relevant for any of the emulation it can do. 4GB is more than enough. But its if you want to mess around witj windows etc. I also think if you got the base, you could pay ~£30 to upgrade it to bigger storage if you email them and PayPal the extra. I'm just going to make do with an SD card.

If you're comparing it price wise to the Deck, you have to add that into the price too, so for the cheapest deck, we would think the Dock that comes out for it would be at least £50 (most likely more), so that puts it at £400+.

I paid with fee free card, as it was listing it in HKD, and i wasn't sure if I'd get a transaction free by paying with my credit card.

They also release updates on the Odin every Friday on the Indiegogo page, and have said they're going to release an estimator to give a more accurate indicator of when your order will arrive too.
thanks for the information i'll have a think about it i have a switch case so hopefully that will fit it and the dock looks too big and doubt i'd use it that often so the super pack is probably something i don't need

the extra memory is probably something i'd use as reading online you can get windows on it

keep us updated how it progresses if you get any updates on your order etc

Back
Top Bottom