*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Soldato
My old version is super quiet, I only know it's on because of the light on the front.

Ok thanks, original it is.

I only want it for exclusives and blurays/netflix. I cant do with any buzzing fans watching TV.
got plenty of space for the original as well and the colour will match everything else.

Associate
New Xbox owner here and as above really. I actually went for the original over the S.

Cheaper, looks better in black (matches my speakers, amp and TV), don't mind about the size and it's completely slient.

Soldato
New Xbox owner here and as above really. I actually went for the original over the S.

Cheaper, looks better in black (matches my speakers, amp and TV), don't mind about the size and it's completely slient.

Nice one;)

Its a shame about the fan noise in the S, I know some are perfectly happy and have one which is silent but there is a clear problem with a lot of the S models currently.

Associate
Nice one;)

Its a shame about the fan noise in the S, I know some are perfectly happy and have one which is silent but there is a clear problem with a lot of the S models currently.

Here I was thinking the S is always quieter. I'd buy one, but it would also require a bit more spending to make the room for it (buy a new monitor, send my current one and the XB360 or the XB1 downstairs to my brother's PC to retain space). How is the XB1 to PC streaming? It would be handy if one person was using the screen the XB1 was plugged into and another wanted to play. Though the 'Xbox Play Anywhere' does the same thing but better.

Soldato
My old version is super quiet, I only know it's on because of the light on the front.

Yep I've switched from the original to S.

The original was definitely completely silent.

I have the S, apart from the air sound which is normal for any large exposed fan, the bearing in the fan is definitely noisy with a buzzing sound.

The problem is that it isn't bad enough for me to go through the hassle of getting it swapped and that might not even solve it.

Soldato
Yep I've switched from the original to S.

The original was definitely completely silent.

I have the S, apart from the air sound which is normal for any large exposed fan, the bearing in the fan is definitely noisy with a buzzing sound.

The problem is that it isn't bad enough for me to go through the hassle of getting it swapped and that might not even solve it.

I've had two S models both loud fans. First one actually wasn't to bad but thought I would risk an exchange as I wasn't happy, second console was even louder.

Ended up getting a refund and in the process of getting an original xbox one. Don't need 4k anyhow and by the time I have my equipment 4k ready, I will likely get the Scorpio or PS equivalent.

Soldato
I've had two S models both loud fans. First one actually wasn't to bad but thought I would risk an exchange as I wasn't happy, second console was even louder.

Ended up getting a refund and in the process of getting an original xbox one. Don't need 4k anyhow and by the time I have my equipment 4k ready, I will likely get the Scorpio or PS equivalent.

The One S has a 7% performance bump which is useful though.

I don't watch any video on a console so fortunately not too much of an inconvenience either.

Such a simple mistake of using poor quality fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
The One S has a 7% performance bump which is useful though.

I don't watch any video on a console so fortunately not too much of an inconvenience either.

Such a simple mistake of using poor quality fans.

Got my original one today. Silent console, only hear fans operating if I stick my head over the top grill. no clicks or buzzing, brilliant.

Can't say Ive noticed any performance differences so far even if there is on the newer S model.
Everything seems the same so far, just a lot bigger console!

Although 2 of the trigger buttons on the pad (top two) make a click when pressed, is this how they were on the old console?

I might get one of the newer pads if they work on the older consoles?

Soldato
Anyone tried the free baseball game yet? I've played at default ego and won 30-6 then upped to 25 and won 11-1. Considering the games last ages it's quite a lot of messing about to pick the correct difficulty. It's a shame as the game play is pretty decent, not sure I can be bothered to keep changing it after every game to make it a challenge but not too tough.

Soldato
I'm returning my xbox one s to Microsoft (they offer advanced exchange whilst holding £340 of your cash). As the fan seems louder than it should be. Here's hoping I'm not being a pedant and the replacement is better!

Tried to return it at game and they refused saying it makes no noise (I'm calling it bs tho as my Mrs and brother in law both think the fan is knackered). What it teaches me is to never shop at game again!

I have to say the MS support has stepped up a gear since the 360 days

Further to this I've received my return and the fan is much better! Very happy with my new console!

Previous fan most definitely had a buzzing problem

Last edited:
Soldato
Anybody else find the drive a little noisy on the S when watching a bluray? I bought the S for 4K blurays mainly. The drive noise is starting to grind on me a little when trying to watch a film at night. (when we can't have the surround on)

Back
Top Bottom