The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Associate
Good on them for wanting to make more money for their game. We have so many launchers now I don't know what the issue. Certainly not enough to boycott the game anyway.

Man of Honour
The internet told people to be angry about it, something to do with china.

And theres nothing the internet folks like more than to raise their fists in solidarity and campaign against something, youtube "reviewers" are proof of this, especially when they universally slate a film or game almost all in unison. I have on my system Battlenet, Steam, Origin, Uplay..each of those with exclusive titles only. On each of those I have titles that I can only get on those launchers. I have nothing on my system that bothers me that anyone might see or read, I don't care if anyone knows my internet browsing history (its really not that interesting so it would only bore them) and I keep nothing private or personal on the PC that I would be aghast about anyone seeing. All in all, its a complete non-issue to me and most definitely wont stop me enjoying Outer Worlds at release, or indeed any other future title that I want to play irrespective of which launcher it is on. For me , its a mountain out of a molehill.

Soldato
LOL:

https://indiannoob.in/obsidian-ente...orlds-hours-prior-to-making-the-move-to-epic/

It seems Obsidian was blindsided by Private Division/Take-Two Interactive.

Apparently, it's some sort of spyware, but then again, nobody really presented any evidence and everybody just goes with that narrative so I guess we'll never know.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/03/19/epic-in-hot-water-over-steam-scraping-code/

So that is the security company Sophus reporting on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The move to Epic is not Obsidian's fault, 2K have a program to help small indie developers get their games out and 2K sold out to Epic so all games in said program will see a year of exclusivity on the Epic launcher.

The internet told people to be angry about it, something to do with china.

No, it's completely down to Epic having a position to compete with Steam, and instead of giving a superior product that makes Valve sweat they are throwing money at developers for exclusives. Exclusives are fine if they are self-published like EA with Origin or Bethesda with their launcher, but Epic aren't going down that route, they want to force people into their vastly inferior product that in several months still has not even gotten a fundamental feature like user reviews yet, but I've lost count of the amount of strongarmed exclusives. It has less core features as a launcher than Discord and Twitch!

https://i.imgur.com/YO2RjJx.png

But you right, people are angry for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, it's completely down to Epic having a position to compete with Steam, and instead of giving a superior product that makes Valve sweat they are throwing money at developers for exclusives. Exclusives are fine if they are self-published like EA with Origin or Bethesda with their launcher, but Epic aren't going down that route, they want to force people into their vastly inferior product that in several months still has not even gotten a fundamental feature like user reviews yet, but I've lost count of the amount of strongarmed exclusives. It has less core features as a launcher than Discord and Twitch!

I guess that stuff could be an annoyance to some, doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I don't really use any of my launchers for anything other than simply launching games. I think realistically the only "feature" I actually use is the hours played thing, although that in itself never seems to be accurate anyway. I don't really care about user reviews because half the time people mark stuff down for pathetic reasons and I put far FAR more importance in what friends or people here (who generally seem more balanced and less opinionated) think of a title. I don't use steam chat or steam voice, I use Discord instead for both so no big deal to me there either. I guess if someone uses a lot of the functionality then a lightweight launcher could be a downer but to me its just for launching anyway so not an issue and definitely not one which would stop me from buying a (potentially) great game.

Soldato
I guess that stuff could be an annoyance to some, doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I don't really use any of my launchers for anything other than simply launching games. I think realistically the only "feature" I actually use is the hours played thing, although that in itself never seems to be accurate anyway. I don't really care about user reviews because half the time people mark stuff down for pathetic reasons and I put far FAR more importance in what friends or people here (who generally seem more balanced and less opinionated) think of a title. I don't use steam chat or steam voice, I use Discord instead for both so no big deal to me there either. I guess if someone uses a lot of the functionality then a lightweight launcher could be a downer but to me its just for launching anyway so not an issue and definitely not one which would stop me from buying a (potentially) great game.

Yeah that's fair, but I don't think Epic should be given a pass for opting out of improvement through actual improvement, instead choosing to strongarm consumers onto their store. Valve quite frankly have done a bloody poor job of steam considering the 15+ years it has existed, now somebody finally gets a chance to give them real competition and what we get is exclusives, exclusives and more exclusives. It's such a missed opportunity that could have improved the PC platform massively, instead they just force a divide through short term greed. We don't need another EA.

Upto 4 hours before the annoucement Obsidian was still adding achievements to the Steam version of the game.

Yeah I feel for them, such a cracking developer always getting shafted by the big companies. Thankfully it comes out on Windows store so not all is lost.

Soldato
Yeah that's fair, but I don't think Epic should be given a pass for opting out of improvement through actual improvement, instead choosing to strongarm consumers onto their store. Valve quite frankly have done a bloody poor job of steam considering the 15+ years it has existed, now somebody finally gets a chance to give them real competition and what we get is exclusives, exclusives and more exclusives. It's such a missed opportunity that could have improved the PC platform massively, instead they just force a divide through short term greed. We don't need another EA.

Yeah I feel for them, such a cracking developer always getting shafted by the big companies. Thankfully it comes out on Windows store so not all is lost.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...rmed_to_be_a_one_year_epic/eiz5jzk/?context=1
https://twitter.com/G27Status/status/1108836851786354691

Wow,even Obsidian didn't understand WTF was happening and didn't want the exclusivity deal.

Caporegime
Welp games dead to me. Poor obsidian. I cannot support a company (the publisher) that ignores Chinese foreign belligerence.

If the claims about stealing data that they (Epic) have no permission for from steam is true, then it’s a permanent no from me.

Last edited:
Associate
Welp games dead to me. Poor obsidian. I cannot support a company (the publisher) that ignores Chinese foreign belligerence.

If the claims about stealing data that they (Epic) have no permission for from steam is true, then it’s a permanent no from me.

Don't you then end up playing nothing? Reading nothing? Watching nothing? Every company, Steam, whoever, has some skeleton in their closet that deserves similar treatment. Then when we comment on another country acting as we have for centuries.

It doesn't leave you much scope to do anything at that point.

Caporegime
Don't you then end up playing nothing? Reading nothing? Watching nothing? Every company, Steam, whoever, has some skeleton in their closet that deserves similar treatment. Then when we comment on another country acting as we have for centuries.

It doesn't leave you much scope to do anything at that point.

There’s different kinds of acceptable information trading though, it’s well too late to complain about things our own companies have done.

Doesn’t mean I’ll just hand it over to an enemy state on purpose. I can wait a year.

Back
Top Bottom