• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Soldato
Regards overclocking, I thought the HOF card would be able to push further due to the custom PCB and ability to play with the voltage more, or is that not the case?

I'm debating the 1080 variant vs the 1070, but hard to know with no reviews or more info yet. Is the 1080 worth the extra £165 (£620 vs £455) @ 21:9 100hz (3440x1440)?

Soldato
Nice review of the Strix 1080 on 3D Guru: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-review,1.html

Regards overclocking, I thought the HOF card would be able to push further due to the custom PCB and ability to play with the voltage more, or is that not the case?

I'm debating the 1080 variant vs the 1070, but hard to know with no reviews or more info yet. Is the 1080 worth the extra £165 (£620 vs £455) @ 21:9 100hz (3440x1440)?

Definitely go 1080, for this sort of panel you really do need some grunt if you play half demanding games.

KP@s more likely.

Indeed, I guess my question was not worded properly, at all I see. I guess my actual question is, if as it seems and all these PCB's with billions of power phases, and beefed up VRM's are making no difference to OC'ing from most the reviews out, how could the classified costs be justified if performance is pretty much solely down to the core. It does seem the cooler is slightly taller then the FTW, but the latter does a good job in itself, I am thinking (or hoping) there is something that will allow the classified to go further.

Associate
In regards to overclocking, Jay2centz on YT reviewed a FE, EVGA ACX and MSI Gaming X.

Either though the MSI has a custom board with more than a 8pin connector and more power-phases, it could not overclock higher than the FE and EVGA ACX (Which is also a ref board) both with 1x 8pin connector.

It is completely down to the silicone lottery.

These cards are so power efficient that 1x pin is all that is needed to reach max OC of these cards.

Soldato
In regards to overclocking, Jay2centz on YT reviewed a FE, EVGA ACX and MSI Gaming X.

Either though the MSI has a custom board with more than a 8pin connector and more powerphases, it could not overclock higher than the FE and EVGA ACX (Which is also a ref board) both with 1x 8pin connector.

It is completely down to the silicone lottery.

These cards are so power efficient that 1x pin is all that is needed to reach max OC of these cards.

Nothing on the HOF yet though, with its custom PCB and x2 8-pin... 8-Pack has been talking it up though, so maybe he knows something we don't, or he's just basing judgement off the previous HOF cards which were great performers.

Associate
Nothing on the HOF yet though, with its custom PCB and x2 8-pin... 8-Pack has been talking it up though, so maybe he knows something we don't, or he's just basing judgement off the previous HOF cards which were great performers.

I am a owner of a 980Ti HOF, great card.

Most reviewers do not seem to think the 1080 can break records like the 980Ti did, time will tell.

Soldato
Can anyone confirm if they have had EVGA SC cards dispatched? I want to know if EVGA are on schedule with the SC and FTW. Thanks.

Soldato
I'm not too bothered that my pre ordered FTW might not overclock any better than fe. I wanted custom for better cooling, less noise, the look of the card and as I trust the brand more than others.

Soldato
My partner's mum is going over to America to visit her son (partners brother) who lives out there next month. Wonder if it's worth seeing if she could pick up a 10 series card for me :p

Doubt she'd have a clue where to buy one or what to look for though...

Last edited:
Associate
Where are people getting the aftermarket cards from so early? I was under the impression the earliest were this Friday / next week with the majority following in July.

I'm looking at the Zotac Amp Extreme. Even though my 780's were hit and miss to start (one came from the factory with an unstable RAM overclock) they did have a five year warranty and have actually done me really well the past three years.

Overclockers told me they are coming in this Friday, but I am not so sure, there still is no work at all on the clock speed and nothing even on the official site.

Associate
Sorry to hear that :( did you contact OcUK and what did they say? I've not heard anything back from them yet, sounds like we both have the same problem. I was fearing they had actually run out of stock of my card and that I'll be waiting a week or so for the next batch to arrive!

From the response I got it seems it was a mess up by DPD as my package was not picked up either.

Turns out the idiot from DPD picked up the wrong Trailer, what a muppet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom