The Police Application Thread

Caporegime
Another thing that puts me off is that Cambridgeshire constabulary never seems to have any vacancies, and I'd want to be stationed here.

Von/hilly/anyone - what are the drawbacks of needing glasses (I wear contacts most of the time)?

Associate
My boyfriend has been a Special for about 3.5 years now, joined when he was 19 and thoroughly enjoys it when he's out on duty - the stories I hear! I would be very tempted to join up myself, but just don't think I'm brave enough :/

Associate
5.4 bleep test on 20metre, fitness not a issue for police these days ? Sounds intresting though, got a friend joining at the moment and another friend waiting to apply (i think recruitment here is june) the one joining passed everything but made some spelling mistakes on an essay and has to wait 6 months now :D

Man of Honour
Another thing that puts me off is that Cambridgeshire constabulary never seems to have any vacancies, and I'd want to be stationed here.

Von/hilly/anyone - what are the drawbacks of needing glasses (I wear contacts most of the time)?

Check with the individual force but as far as I am aware, as long as your sight is correctable with glasses or contact lenses then you should be OK.

Man of Honour
My boyfriend has been a Special for about 3.5 years now, joined when he was 19 and thoroughly enjoys it when he's out on duty - the stories I hear! I would be very tempted to join up myself, but just don't think I'm brave enough :/

99% of policing is about common sense and being able to talk to people.

The best weapon you will ever have is your ability to communicate.

I have been in hundreds of violent situations but I have only used CS / pepper spray 4 times and I have never used a police baton to strike someone and have been subject to only one complaint which has recently been finalised pending an appeal to the IPCC as the grievance wasn't happy that the complaint was not upheld by the force after professional standards investigated.

Last edited:
Associate
Been in 6 months myself and really enjoying it so far!

Strathclyde recruitment goes something like this (changed a bit since I joined)

• Application and initial vetting before invite to next stage

• Standard entrance test and initial fitness: You sit an exam testing language, information handline and numbers - once complete you do a 1.5 mile run in about 10 mins (depending on age). You may also get the bleep test, gain level depends on age.

• Initial interview: Mine was a one on one interview with a Sergeant but could be with an Inspector etc. Done in an informal way but they probe you about your background and views etc.

• Vetting: More in depth vetting of your background, family etc

• Final Interview: Very formal interview in front of 3 high rankers - put under pressure regarding your views, knowledge of the job etc....

• Medical and fitness: A doctor probes and prods you and you run that 1.5 miles again, hopefully improved on time from last one

There used to be a home interview between initial and final but that was removed to save time I believe - not sure if they will bring it back again.

Once all that's done you get a start date and your off to Jackton for a week and then Tulliallan for 15 weeks training (although I believe that now some may be getting longer at Jackton and going out on the streets prior to Tulliallan)

All good fun (!?) If you get through all that lot the job is excellent, a lot of the cliches are true like can be different everyday etc but there is also a lot of stuff you don't get told about - paperwork isn't as bad as some would have you believe but there is plenty of it.......

If your thinking of doing it then go for it, you won't regret it!

EDIT
Fitness standards here - seems slightly higher than English forces but still pretty easily obtainable

Last edited:
Soldato
I have applied for the Met and my application was sent this morning :)
Will now have to wait for about 2-4 months for any news :(

I have to leave work now to pick up my car but will post more information later.
To summarise, HARDEST APPLICATION FORM EVER!!!

EDIT: Von Small.... are you a member of the PoliceUK.com forums? I have seen a member with an Avatar/Sig which has the same character as your sig here. Is that you?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have applied for the Met and my application was sent this morning :)
Will now have to wait for about 2-4 months for any news :(

I have to leave work now to pick up my car but will post more information later.
To summarise, HARDEST APPLICATION FORM EVER!!!

EDIT: Von Small.... are you a member of the PoliceUK.com forums? I have seen a member with an Avatar/Sig which has the same character as your sig here. Is that you?

Do you know when the next intake for the Met is??

Associate
You won't fail the push / pull and 5.4 bleep test.

Don't worry about it.

I was surprised...no shocked at a few that couldn't do a 1.5m run, bleep test to level 7 or push/pull over 40kg :(
Not being sexist here (I work with many great female officers) but there were 5', 6 stone recruits who couldn't do 1 press up getting through - any sort of skirmish and they'll get blown away! (I realise the gift of the gab is more important but still....)

Back
Top Bottom