The Police Application Thread

Soldato
It's disappointing that their organisational skills were so poor. It's just unreasonable to expect people to attend with that much notice.

I am glad I am not the only person to think this was somewhat bizarre!

The golden rule with vetting is "disclose everything". Disclose everything, including the penalty fares and write details of the circumstances. They're looking for integrity and honesty. Putting your hands up and saying you made a mistake in the circumstances you mention are unlikely to go against you. Failing to raise it may do though.

Agreed. I will bear this in mind when I next apply, thanks for the advice.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think part of the background check is:

- are you who you say you are ?
- do you have a criminal background ?
- does any of the circle around have a criminal background?
- what is your personal circumstances?

The wider check may also be looking at whether you are susceptable to influence. I.e. Could criminality in your wider circle try to make you turn a blind eye cause they are your family ? Or could you pass sensitive information out from the Police into criminality (planned drugs turns etc)

Are you in significant debt ? Could someone from criminality offer you a large amount of money to sort you out and gain favour in return ?

Etc etc.

Depending on the vetting done base don clearance level for your role, they will also do a full online presence check on your accounts, search results and social media activity and advise accordingly. Typically just along the lines of using a common sense approach if you ever post something that can bring your force into disrepute etc. By all means carry on using social networks and the like.

With some people I work with the vetting took 4 months+, others took 2 months. Regardless, vetting is usually re-done even if you are already in and are simply changing to another role. But your manager can fight against that and they can then play ball and not re-do it considering the vetting is valid for 7 years providing you complete the annual self-abasement form to confirm any changes to your circumstances.

For me I was lucky, it took 2 months of vetting AFTER interview success. So in total about 3 months. I was still employed at the time so this was fine. I did have to tell my old employer I had accepted a new role though and then I sat tight for 2 months whilst vetting completed. Half way through I had to complete another vetting form because they initially sent me the wrong forms as my role required higher clearance so this was mildly annoying but you should be aware of these things as they do attribute to any delays. Vetting will not complete until all of your references have successfully responded to contact from the vetting team though. So make sure any references you listed are readily available for the entire time to respond else you will get delayed.

Man of Honour
OP
I had my induction last night, I got there just after 2pm and left about 9:15pm. I have loads of paper to sift through; it's going to take me ages to digitalise all of this :(

So 9th Feb 2010 was my official joining date and it's been a full decade since then.

It's interesting to look back and see how much the job has changed and how much the job has changed me over that period - for better and worse. I'm more resilient, confident, calm under pressure but also more jaded, cynical and just generally suffering from "compassion fatigue". I've seen and done things you couldn't pay to do, again, some amazing situations and some that will stay with me for a long time yet. I think on balance it was a good decision though.

Soldato
Bump.

Not exactly applying for the police per se but I've applied for a job in vetting for the Met. To get to the interview stage I have to first pass a Competency Vetting Test. Does anyone have any info, links or material that might be useful prep for this? I haven't had much luck finding out anything online; I'm assuming it will be some sort of fictional vetting scenario(s) where I have to approve/refer/reject a person or persons based off of information provided and will be a mixture of common sense and reading comprehension?

Associate
After 8 years working in the corporate world I've applied to the MET through the DHEP. I think on paper I stand a good chance of at least being invited to interview, but I've read that it's an extremely competitive process!

Soldato
Bump.

Not exactly applying for the police per se but I've applied for a job in vetting for the Met. To get to the interview stage I have to first pass a Competency Vetting Test. Does anyone have any info, links or material that might be useful prep for this? I haven't had much luck finding out anything online; I'm assuming it will be some sort of fictional vetting scenario(s) where I have to approve/refer/reject a person or persons based off of information provided and will be a mixture of common sense and reading comprehension?

Ask recruitment for some more information, I can't see why they won't offer you a bit more clarity about what's involved.

I'd imagine they'll present you with a vetting pack provided by the "candidate" as well as PNC record(s), intelligence/financial checks etc conducted and expect you to ensure information provided is accurate, honest and make a decision based on what's in front of you. Attention to detail will be key e.g. looking out for small errors and discrepancies. If it's pre-interview I don't think it'll be anything too demanding.

Good luck, if you're successful you're going to be very, very busy.

Soldato
Ask recruitment for some more information, I can't see why they won't offer you a bit more clarity about what's involved.

I'd imagine they'll present you with a vetting pack provided by the "candidate" as well as PNC record(s), intelligence/financial checks etc conducted and expect you to ensure information provided is accurate, honest and make a decision based on what's in front of you. Attention to detail will be key e.g. looking out for small errors and discrepancies. If it's pre-interview I don't think it'll be anything too demanding.

Good luck, if you're successful you're going to be very, very busy.

Yeah there’s no interview, it’s just the test. I think there’s over 100 other people taking it for this position but my uncle who worked in a different department (Character Enquiries, just left to move to Cornwall) had the same thing; 180 people applied for a few jobs, most were only there because they had to as they’d come via the job centre and the DWP would take their benefits away if they didn’t attend. Only 7 passed the test and 3 had successful interviews.

I managed to get him to ask someone there, and the gist is it’s vetting based scenario questions, asking you to make a decision providing a rationale for why you believe your permit/refuse decision is correct based on the Vetting Guidance (APP Guidelines), which are given to you when you take the test.

I expect it will be busy although from what I understand about the working environment the hours are quite flexible as far as if you want to come in early/late as long as you’re there between 10am-2pm, and it’s very local to me. Might allow some working from home too. All ideal as it would potentially give me the late afternoon to train and then evenings free to pursue some online business aspirations/educational stuff. I’ve been working in a data centre (often vetting things, rather than people) for the last decade doing 12 hour alternating day/night shifts + commute, so I’ll gladly swap working in a graveyard at ungodly hours for something a bit more demanding if it means more sleep and not working Christmas Day etc.

Man of Honour
OP
This required a different sort of application but the result was I got these today.
ADCreHfRUXCXpwol8hQfnsYfB6IHlOBT4wtTN0qmy8loX5JMSkM0ZoDtbwX1XeAgjwjiV_NmkMJzSSm0qPsVxPIbL2VbzZg0n7zm40APHyCa7ApFC3zyWFoE=w2400

Soldato
I'm still in, and loving it. If you dial 999 you might get me :O

:D

Doing the diploma alongside working is tuff, so many have dropped it on my course. It's two years of hell and then the pressure will be off, hopefully. The PCDA route seems worse though. Everyone seems to be dropping back to the ippeldippel.

I've been offered CID - no thanks :x

I love solo patrol, love being on a carrier with 9 others. I see so much on response, I'm so proud to put the uniform on and help people.

The Police has taken over my life, I never seem to have the time to post much here anymore :(

Congratulations on traffic Burnsy !

Back
Top Bottom