The Predator (2018)

Associate
OP
I've just finished my marathon. Ranked favourite to least favourite....

1. Aliens
  2. Predator
  3. Predator II
  4. Alien
  5. Predators
  6. Alien 3
  7. Prometheus
  8. Alien Resurrection
  9. Alien Vs. Predator
  10. Alien Vs. Predator Requiem
Some of the above I have placed as really appreciate the lore or writing/cinematography, others are simply guilty pleasures of mine and have a fond place in my heart. The list would be far different if you asked me to list them based on their technical merits.

At 34 years old, I grew up with the classics and eagerly anticipated the various sequels. The problem is that the modern sequels and or re-makes, for any movie, just don't seem to capture the magic (warts and all) of the originals. Take Predator 1 or Aliens for example, I simply cannot imagine that type of film being produced nowadays.

Two random things I'd like to add;

• Did anyone see the comments from Ridley Scott saying he always considered Blade Runner to be part of the same universe, I find that interesting and believable.
  • Trivia from IMDB on Predators, the other alien lifeform on the planet, the humanoid one, was in fact a nod to how Predator was originally going to look before it was redesigned by Stan Winston. It looks terribly B-movie and so glad we have what we have now.
  • I find Alien Vs. Predator Requiem to be the darkest movie ever, as in, filmed terribly (along with directed, written, paced and everything else badly)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's quite a marathon! I'd probably rank Alien at the top - the first half is a close to perfect a movie has ever been for me - and Aliens and Predator close seconds. I didn't mind Alien 3 either (well, and maybe Predator 2, in a guilty pleasure kind of way). The rest can all die by fire as far as I'm concerned though! Prometheus manages the rare feat of not only being ****e, but in also making other great movies in the series worse simply because it exists.

In retrospect I think I've been unfair to Alien, I'd move it up a notch or two. Agree the introduction of sub-par sequels or reboots to seem to detract from the universe

What baffles me a little is how poor the AvP movies were. They really didn't need any work doing re. plot or setting. Everything was there for the taking. Put humans on a planet were Predators are hunting Aliens. Job done. Would have been awesome. But they clogged the movies up with pointless fluff and contrived scenarios. I have no doubt, even with zero script writing experience, that I could knock up something infinitely better in a single day. Bah humbug!!

Absolutely agree, what a terrible waste. I wonder if they ever consider rebooting the concept, especially with new Predator and Prometheus in the works.

Associate
OP
I didn't dislike it either. Had Arnie and Apollo Creed been in the roles played by the the guy from Kong and Laurence F. then it would have been an epic sequel. The Kong guy was quite badly mis-cast IMO.

Adrien Brody? Biggest nose in the business :p

Care of Family Guy:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/c/cd/Adrien_Brody.png/revision/latest?cb=20121210042339[IMG]

[B][COLOR="Cyan"]** Please do not hotlink - EVH **[/COLOR][/B]

I read on IMDB that the directors wanted to mix it up and rather than the beefcakes in Predator I, look to use more athletic builds. Despite that - yes I still struggle to get over them using Brody. He is a little too clean cut to be believable as a bass ass merc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom