1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kaapstad, Feb 6, 2019.

1. drskiba

Associate

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very proud of this build -- looks great in vertical alignment with the light floor :D

2. nashathedog

Sgarrista

I think the V64's are great cards, Once the next gext Ryzen cpu's appear I'm going to grab one and if I haven't already put an AIO on my V7 I'll do a full loop, A 12 core Ryzen with a 16gb Vega should last long enough to make it worth doing. The 7's are definitely being held back at the moment, Trying to use the new software for overclocking is a joke.

I just did a run of Firestrike extreme with the stock clock VII to compare with some of my overclocked V64 Red Devil scores & it's definitely not where it should be, I'm going to run a suite of in game tests now & work on getting it user friendly, It wasn't loud while doing the Firestrike run but I'll have to see how it is during a gaming session.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18224926/fs/17703826/fs/17703541/fs/16907542/fs/16907m464#

@drskiba It looks real good mate, I was just admiring OC3D's set up where he's done the same thing.

3. zoffster1

Associate

Got the card undervolted to 932mV from a stock (1048mV) which drops the fan speed under load to 1700 with about a 5% gain in performance. It's pretty much silent at that speed. Very happy with it.

Not sure if this is normal or a software bug than but with the two cards I purchased, one had a higher default voltage the other in wattman. The one with a higher voltage did not undervolt as well getting to about 980mV resulting in a fan speed under load of about 2450.

4. fizzy

Hitman

Just installed mine. Quick run of timespy (stock settings) :-

Old card (MSI 980TI, boosts to approx 1400)

Overall Score - 5,635
    Graphics Test 1 - 39.08 fps
    Graphics Test 2 - 34.46 fps

Radeon VII

Overall Score - 7,650
    Graphics Test 1 - 63.05 fps
    Graphics Test 2 - 48.38 fps

So for me, in this test at least approx a 50% increase over previous, although likely CPU bound. Will try a few games later at native monitor res.

Fan noise is definitely quite loud under load (especially compared to the 980ti) but not noticeable at idle. Will try some tweaking later. :)

5. Vince

Man of Honour

I might plug mine in now

6. Vince

Man of Honour

Ok so its in and this is how she looks:

[​IMG]

Excessive RAM - Check
    Excessive CPU cores- Check
    Excessive Video Memory - Check
    Excessive RGB - Check

Looks like I am ready to go!

7. Safetytrousers

Wise Guy

It would have been an even bigger increase over a 780ti.:p

8. JediFragger

Capodecina

Wow, glad I didn't go to your school for maths lessons!! :p

9. Panos

Capodecina

More likely those two going into slavery as miners :(

10. Uzu

Associate

Undervolts at 956mV if i try below 950mV it crashes.

But runs fast and quiet enough in my 280X

Just hope that X570 m-ITX boards become a thing soon.

[​IMG]

11. nashathedog

Sgarrista

Now I've had a proper look at the overclocking software I can see it isn't as bad as I thought, but it isn't as good as the previous version.

At the moment it's like the 7nm Vega's the exact opposite of the 14nm Vega, as in not an overclockers dream (too soon?).

The noise level isn't that bad for me, My case is a Corsair C70 and I have a pair of 14cm fans on the window pushing air straight to the card which might be helping it. At the moment I haven't done much too it, I've played a few races in Dirt 4 to see how it holds up under load for a longer period & it did well.

Happy so far but AMD have got a lot of driver work to do..

12. Axeboy

Mobster

Similar, the noise isnt that bad for me and im normally super sensitive

13. L-Digital82

Associate

[​IMG]

After 2x back to back RTX fails I’m in team Red for the first time and to be honest the peace of mind is worth the downgrade for me. The fan noise isn’t that bad either, I am very happy to be one of the lucky few with this card so far

https://imgur.com/cE3ruGT

14. Vish Petrol

Hitman

That looks excellent

15. Gerard

Caporegime

So reducing the voltage does result in lower temps and fan noise overall?

16. L-Digital82

Associate

Correct. I think people were way to quick to throw mud on this because they struggled to OC and UV. This guy knows what’s up

https://youtu.be/fBX0k7YDQvQ

In his other vid he has it beating the 2080 in most tests

17. zoffster1

Associate

Yes, it quite noticeably reduces fan noise and speed. Temps not so much as what would be a reduction in temperature is then increased by lower fan speed.

18. fizzy

Hitman

It was a dump so I bet you are. ;) Rough calcs makes the GT1 R7 test 161% of 980ti. So an additional 61%. Conclusion - it's a bit faster. :p

Found wattman, dropped max voltage to 950mV which has helped things a bit with fan noise under load. Even though fans run when idle they are basically inaudible.

19. Bloot

Associate

Recording with relive causes stuttering anybody else? It didn't happen on my nitro 64, did a fresh windows install btw. Also installed rvii specific drivers.

20. spook2575

Hitman

So I sold my GTX 1080 a couple of weeks ago. No longer have to rock intel integrated graphics....

[​IMG]