• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Thinking of getting one of these.

Can't decide between a Radeon vii or a RTX 2080.

But going to upgrade my PC to a 3rd gen ryzen so can't help think a AMD CPU will work better with a Radeon vii and vice versa.

What do other people think?

Permabanned
Thinking of getting one of these.

Can't decide between a Radeon vii or a RTX 2080.

But going to upgrade my PC to a 3rd gen ryzen so can't help think a AMD CPU will work better with a Radeon vii and vice versa.

What do other people think?

Radeon won't work any better with Ryzen, in fact you might find the opposite happens as AMD GPU's have more of a cpu overhead** than Nvidia's GPU's, It'll depend on what Ryzens next gen CPU's are like for gaming, I'm currently running a VII with a 2700x for 3440x1440 gaming and it does a great job.

Is overhead the right word?

Just at this point. Though will possibly do some animation and other bits using Creative Cloud programs.

Want something future proof as well so don't mind spending money!

If it's memory intensive work the VII got double the 2080 which actually has less than it's last gen performance equivalent the 1080ti, plus future proofing isn't in Nvidia's vocabulary.

Soldato
Just at this point. Though will possibly do some animation and other bits using Creative Cloud programs.

Want something future proof as well so don't mind spending money!
It will work great with a 3rd gen ryzen, the extra memory and compute will serve you well, the extra cores and higher ipc of the 3rd gen should be an outstanding combination

Soldato
Radeon won't work any better with Ryzen, in fact you might find the opposite happens as AMD GPU's have more of a cpu overhead** than Nvidia's GPU's, It'll depend on what Ryzens next gen CPU's are like for gaming, I'm currently running a VII with a 2700x for 3440x1440 gaming and it does a great job.

If it's memory intensive work the VII got double the 2080 which actually has less than it's last gen performance equivalent the 1080ti, plus future proofing isn't in Nvidia's vocabulary.
I think you mean bottle neck, but bottle necking only occurs at 1080,, as soon as you get into 1440 and 4k the difference between fps of a i9 9900k and 2700k dissappear completely and it all becomes gpu power

Associate
It will work great with a 3rd gen ryzen, the extra memory and compute will serve you well, the extra cores and higher ipc of the 3rd gen should be an outstanding combination

This is what I am thinking, an AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU (hopefully 16 cores) paired with a AMD GFX you would think would work well together!

Permabanned
I think you mean bottle neck, but bottle necking only occurs at 1080,, as soon as you get into 1440 and 4k the difference between fps of a i9 9900k and 2700k dissappear completely and it all becomes gpu power

I don't think it's bottlenecking as such, that said I suppose it does theoretically have the same effect just not cause, AMD drivers have more of a cpu overhead than Nvidia's, you can look at the drivers like api's where Nvidia's are closer to the metal like Vulcan & AMD's are more like DX11 meaning with weaker cpu's you can see it affecting performance, I'm sure I've read it compared in those terms before, Maybe I'm full of you know what though. If I'm wrong I'll put it down to old age & the memory not being like it used to be (I'm finally old enough to use that excuse):D

Man of Honour
OP

It is not just an AMD thing NVidia cards like the Titan V also get bottlenecked at 1080p due to the fact they use HBM2.

Having said that once you get to 1440p or higher the problem goes away, also who would want to use a Radeon VII or Titan V at 1080p for gaming anyway.

Soldato
It is not just an AMD thing NVidia cards like the Titan V also get bottlenecked at 1080p due to the fact they use HBM2.

Having said that once you get to 1440p or higher the problem goes away, also who would want to use a Radeon VII or Titan V at 1080p for gaming anyway.

People with 240hz monitors playing csgo or LoL, LOL

Permabanned

Hi, There are some who'll use the best gpu's for 1080p but I agree it is a waste of a cards performance if you're a just a regular gamer, As I explained in my post after the one you replied to I'm talking in general about brand, not card specific even though this is a specific cards thread, the topic's been discussed in the past both here & elsewhere. AMD's drivers have more of a cpu overhead than Nvidia's, It can be seen in action with weaker CPU's.

Soldato
Hi, There are some who'll use the best gpu's for 1080p but I agree it is a waste of a cards performance if you're a just a regular gamer, As I explained in my post after the one you replied to I'm talking in general about brand, not card specific even though this is a specific cards thread, the topic's been discussed in the past both here & elsewhere. AMD's drivers have more of a cpu overhead than Nvidia's, It can be seen in action with weaker CPU's.
Yes of course, nvidia drivers are like a windows 98 properties menu

Associate
Cards ran well all day today memory has stopped jumping I i overclocked it by 50mhz and it's stayed stable no ups and downs now.

I've had side panel off today as still sorting cables etc

GPU was about 70c so I'm thinking this might be an issue once case together ??

I have 3 fans at front of case one on rear and top is rad for h100

How am I best getting it cooler ?? Besides watercooling which is love to do but it seems pricey and I tend to upgrade a lot tbh

Would I be best undervolting and putting fans speeds up ??

Soldato
Cards ran well all day today memory has stopped jumping I i overclocked it by 50mhz and it's stayed stable no ups and downs now.

I've had side panel off today as still sorting cables etc

GPU was about 70c so I'm thinking this might be an issue once case together ??

I have 3 fans at front of case one on rear and top is rad for h100

How am I best getting it cooler ?? Besides watercooling which is love to do but it seems pricey and I tend to upgrade a lot tbh

Would I be best undervolting and putting fans speeds up ??
What did you do to stabilise it? Just open the case
Undervolting is the way to go I run mine at 1200 ram +20%power limit 980mv core and it reaches about 87-92.c on the junction 68 on the core

Associate
Power limit plus and just added 50 MHz to memory it's stopped it moving up and down

I've left core clock at stock no o/c
1070 MV
Junction temp is always around 108 currently but I've seen it higher

Back
Top Bottom