The reason I love tech

Soldato
So today I was listening to music on my phone. My phone was receiving internet via 4g, 10 times faster then our pathetic home ADSL. My tablet was tethered to my phone. I was using teamviewer to connect to my parents HTPC, and via this I was remotely downloading their favorite (free to view home movies) that had come out last night.
In that moment I sat back and realized just how cool technology is!
What was the last thing you guys did that made you go "wow"?
What was your last "oh god, technology is awesome" moment?

Soldato
OP
That wasnt the discussion here! Theres plenty of things on, for example, bbc iplayer which are free to view but with slower net connections are difficult to stream in decent quality so for sanity's sake it is easier to procure them elsewhere over a longer period of time.

Soldato
OP
They'd probably be too busy taking selfies to care about what was inside it.

Lol probably!
but yeah my happiest times are still playing my "first love" Dune 2 on my nexus 7. And ofcourse Carmageddon on my phone. But my greatest happiness is always having wikipedia at my fingertips. The cumulative collection of all human kidns knowledge in the palm of my hands... Oh and funny cat pics...

Soldato
OP
I think for me it springs from old rts games. The tech tree. Since then I have always said tech :/ tbh people calling all programs 'apps' since smart phones came out really ruffled my feathers the wrong way but you get used to it..

Soldato
OP
One thing that did amaze me was my parents internet running at 152mbit. this works out in practice about 14 megabytes a second. I made a joke on facebook that I image it as someone throwing a 10 pack of floppy disks at me every second so I can visualize it. Then I realized thats not far off the truth. Considering how much I used to use floppies for and how long it took them to be read, the thought of 10 of those being transferred every second still humbles me.

Soldato
OP
You say that like the entire space program / space race wasn't one great big self centred circle jerk for no other reason than to do it before the Russians did (and the Russians to do it before the Americans), and that people don't get into it for the feel good factor of "I did that" or "I worked on that" due to id, ego and super ego.

Now I say this as a major lover of sci-fi, space, and the unknown frontiers, but...
I cant see a single benefit to space exploration for the human race at this moment in time. I think if we spent the money we spend on space exploration on things like renewable energy then we would get past our need to get to space (more living space, possible sources of materials etc).

In my opinion there is nothing we can find sat on another planet that we cant find on earth because all the planets in our solar system originate from the same core materials and are bombarded by the same extra solar bodies.

On top of that, logic dictates that in an infinite universe, with the timelines we are talking about from the big bang onwards, if alien life existed then somewhere in the universe there would be races advanced enough communicate with / travel to us. And logically if theres one like that there would be many, so even if several say "they're too immature, we cant talk to them" there would be others that say "stuff that, lets land and enslave them". So logically we would know about aliens by now if they existed. So no need for trying to contact someone with fantastic technology to advance us.

If you asked someone, "excuse me sir, what are the real world benefits to getting in to space", what would they say? We can put a man on the moon? People could live on mars? Why? to escape the climactic changes to earth? Would earths downfall ever make it as inhospitable as mars?

*Rant over :p*

Back
Top Bottom