The Rise of YouTube

Soldato
YouTube. Where we go to watch cats playing pianos, or people falling off things. Or at least, it used to be.

More recently, we've seen the rise of the "YouTuber" but again, more of people doing stupid ****, or watching people play computer games (My son does this...what the ****?) and everything in between.

Yet more recently I've really got into watching content on YouTube in sectors that I enjoy. The content has got, in my eyes, much better and arguably in some cases (Hot Ones Series is by far the best show ever) better than TV quality.

Hell, as a family we even have our Bare Fam Ting channel showing all our activities etc.

Do you think that this is to do with; more accessibility to watch the content? Better camera/ recording capabilities? Or something else?

Numbers of subs for some of the channels I watch rocketed last year, more than any previous year, showing more and more people are watching these series/channels/content.

Do you guys watch YouTube like you would TV?

Discuss...

Soldato
OP
Like someone else mentioned you have to sift through loads of rubbish to find genuine good stuff. Some of the stuff my daughter watches I just cannot fathom and these girls makes 1 million views in days per video or pure rubbish!
They've just recently released youtubekids.com and I've setup my daughters profile on there. Much easier to control the shows on there and things available, which is good.

There can be a lot of rubbish, but the more you use it, the more I found my suggestions match what I watch. So I watch anything from travel, to how to stuff, to the hot ones, to car rebuilds and general car stuff. I have a huge variety of subscriptions, but then they're all in one place.

Soldato
OP
Interesting spread of people here and their use.

Mods: We should have a poll!

Never watch youtube
Only watch youtube for occasional link sent or how to
Sub to some channels, occasionally watch
Watch on both phone and TV as a part of my daily viewing
I am YouTube

:D

Soldato
OP
I've been able to fix so many things and start new projects due to Youtube that otherwise would have resulted in me paying for a service, throwing something away or not even being able to start a new hobby. The makers "movement" on Youtube (can't think of a better word) is a great example of how skills that would otherwise be limited to an apprentice of a craftsman now being available to all who in turn share knowledge of their own work.
Also agree on this for so many things. I can't use photoshop to save my life, and so pick up bits and pieces all from youtube. Likewise, I haven't been able to find a wallet I liked for years. Mine broke and I wanted something specific, nothing was around ever like that. So I ordered the leather from etsy, got up youtube and made my own. Came out really well considering I've never done anything like that. Won't ever find one like it lol it's bright pink :D

Soldato
OP
Yea, I don't mind people asking for likes, comments and subs. My family watch my vids and don't sub, because they don't realise what it means to the channel. Same with likes etc. As for adverts, I'm happy to watch and skip them. My choice to do so. Although grammerly can do one.

Back
Top Bottom