The ROG Rampage VI Extreme/Apex

Man of Honour
Meet the new Rampage VI Extreme X299 (Skylake-X) from ASUS:

yO3XGdA.jpg

KLQoYj2.jpg

The flagship of this new family is the Rampage VI Extreme, which balances power and design to elevate showcase PCs. It’s made specifically for machines with custom liquid cooling and carefully bent tubing. Along with all of the usual fan and pump headers, we added dual flow headers that let you monitor the coolant coursing through your loop. There’s also a special connector that lets water blocks designed for the Extreme provide flow, temperature, and leakage data.
Almost every aspect of the Rampage VI Extreme has been enhanced to give you more. The usual Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller is bolstered by an onboard 10G chip capable of increasing networking throughput by an order of magnitude. We’ve also upgraded the Wi-Fi to the latest 802.11ad standard, increasing wireless bandwidth up to 4.6Gbps.

To help avoid unsightly wiring, three M.2 SSDs can be added to the board without using the VROC card. One slots under the Extreme’s outer skin, while the other two ride our DIMM.2 module next to the memory slots. A U.2 connector is also included for compatibility with enterprise-grade PCIe SSDs. The onboard Thunderbolt header lets you extend high-speed connectivity to external devices with our optional add-in card.

A reinforcing backplate helps the Rampage VI Extreme support heavily loaded rigs. The metal bracing also includes a separate GPU Holder that shoulders the weight of sagging graphics cards. The low-profile bracket leaves enough clearance for SLI bridges, and it’s strong enough to handle the beefiest cards.

New for X299, the Rampage VI Extreme integrates a LiveDash OLED screen that lets you monitor system temperatures, frequencies, and fan speeds right on the board. The dashboard also displays custom messages and graphics to add a little extra flair to your build. It’s complemented by enough onboard LEDs and strip headers to put on a show.

Even the audio goes the extra mile. Backlit audio jacks save you from fumbling around in the dark, and they’re set into an integrated I/O shield that simplifies motherboard installation. Our Sonic Studio III software completes the package with new VR functionality that extends its HRTF effects to headsets like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Simply put, no other motherboard matches what the Rampage VI Extreme can do.

There will also be a Rampage VI Apex.

More:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...-and-strix-x299-e-motherboards-for-skylake-x/

Release date: expected to launch in July.

Will go very well with an 18-core the i9-7980XE in it!

Watch this space...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm quite intrigued by the additional two M.2 drives 'riding' the DIMM2 slot... trying to visualise how in my head.

And the description of the Apex having cut out sections??

The Rampage VI Apex proudly wears its attitude on its sleeve—or rather PCB. It thinks outside the conventions of its Extended ATX form factor by cutting out sections of the board to facilitate cleaner cable routing around your pristine test bench. The distinctive shape visually sets the Apex apart from the competition, while the customizable name plate provides space to add a personal touch.

Our overclocking experts have already used the Apex to set a new world record with the Core i7-7740K at a staggering 7.56GHz. We've added several benchmark world records and global first places, as well, and we’re just getting started. Expect more records to fall as we cement ROG’s legacy as the absolute performance leader.

Soldato
I'm quite intrigued by the additional two M.2 drives 'riding' the DIMM2 slot... trying to visualise how in my head.

There's an extra slot which looks like a DIMM slot next to the main power connector, I wonder if that's really for use with intel's xpoint SSD/non volatile memory rather than standard SSDs?

Soldato
There's an extra slot which looks like a DIMM slot next to the main power connector, I wonder if that's really for use with intel's xpoint SSD/non volatile memory rather than standard SSDs?

Yeah but it specifically states using 3 x M.2, two of which 'ride' the additional DIMM slot next to the memory. Knowing the dimensions of the M2 drive connectors I'm quite curious as to how... maybe it comes with some adaptor.

Soldato
Yeah but it specifically states using 3 x M.2, two of which 'ride' the additional DIMM slot next to the memory. Knowing the dimensions of the M2 drive connectors I'm quite curious as to how... maybe it comes with some adaptor.

It will be a riser card of some sort I expect, but the slot may also be there to take an Xpoint DIMM perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom