• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RTX 2080 pre-order thread

Soldato
From a tflops perspective it seems they very much skimped this generation, but we don't know how these tensor cores are to perform.

Yes and no, by offloading AA (and things like shadows and ambient occlusion) to separate cores, they are potentially freeing up a lot of cores that would be busy doing something else
I'm very interested in the potential and the initial list of games looks promising.

Associate
Well too late now just put down an order on an EVGA 2080ti ultra from a site other than OCuk with their stock being cheaper... will have to wait and see!

Edit - The website for EVGA states it MINIMUM of 650w, so I might have to swap it out if I want a comfortable OC.

Associate
Well too late now just put down an order on an EVGA 2080ti ultra from a site other than OCuk with their stock being cheaper... will have to wait and see!

Edit - The website for EVGA states it MINIMUM of 650w, so I might have to swap it out if I want a comfortable OC.

Or if you like to be power efficient :)

I reckon 650W should be fine. But better safe than sorry!

Associate
Or if you like to be power efficient :)

I reckon 650W should be fine. But better safe than sorry!

Its a plat rated PSU, but yeah I think I might be tempted by another PSU. Trying not to spend more money after putting 1.2k down on a GPU. EVGA state 650w min, so if I can't OC its not the end of the world. Still better than the AMD card I have in there atm.

Did you actually READ what you quoted from me? lol

To me you seemed to be stating 650w is enough, but if you want to OC you'd be better off getting more? My reading comprehension is the best tbh.

Soldato

Good order, would have preferred EVGA again but the Duke at £250 less has taken me MSI’s way!

If would personally get something like 800W as the cost difference is low vs future proofing.

Associate
Good order, would have preferred EVGA again but the Duke at £250 less has taken me MSI’s way!

If would personally get something like 800W as the cost difference is low vs future proofing.
Plus surely a PSU is more efficient and "happier" chugging along at 60-80% capacity then full bore the whole time.

Associate
Has anyone bought the 2080?

I'm deliberating sticking a pre-order in if it beats the 1080ti. I'm coming from a GTX 670 so I feel like the 2080 is basically my only option if I want 4k.

You can play 4K on a 1080 TI the 2080 Ti has the same ram 11GB also both play at 60Hz and you are willing to pay 40% more! your choice.

Associate
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/0...ship_for_stance_against_preordering_hardware/

Seems like Nvidia don't want anyone speaking out against pre-ordering without seeing benchmarks...

This unfortunate guy had to return his equipment, which came as part of a sponsorship deal, after a guest on his stream made such comments.

A bit OTT from Nvidia, most of us seem to see that as quite a sensible course of action.

Associate
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/0...ship_for_stance_against_preordering_hardware/

Seems like Nvidia don't want anyone speaking out against pre-ordering without seeing benchmarks...

This unfortunate guy had to return his equipment, which came as part of a sponsorship deal, after a guest on his stream made such comments.

A bit OTT from Nvidia, most of us seem to see that as quite a sensible course of action.

I think that is harsh with what nVidia did there but yeah i agree it is quite clear nVidia has something to hide either from people or it's competitors i think.

It is another insult and against free speech really.

Last edited:
Associate
You can play 4K on a 1080 TI.

Yes, you can have a very good 4k experience at 4k on a 1080ti - I do. BUT you can't get rock solid 60fps at all times, with some games dipping below 50fps to become noticeably slower on occasion, if you won't accept to go below a certain amount on some of the demanding settings. Usually there are some settings you don't go to max on. And definitely ultra grass on GTA is not possible (while maintaining your other desired settings).
My highest hope for the 2080ti is 60fps ultra grass.

Back
Top Bottom