• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Permabanned
Anyone who even thinks fan noise may be a problem for them should keep looking at alternatives (or watercooling). Sure, there may historically have been worse cards out there, but it's still pretty much the worst card for noise you can currently buy.

Isn't it meant to be one of the better reference cards? From what I've read here I was under the impression that Vega was quieter than the Pascal reference blowers, especially if you go for one of cheap as chips non reference blowers.

I'd choose a modded V64 blower with something like this fitted over a V64 AIO.

Last edited:
Associate
Isn't it meant to be one of the better reference cards? From what I've read here I was under the impression that Vega was quieter than the Pascal reference blowers, especially if you go for one of cheap like chips non reference blowers.

Yes, but anyone worried about fan noise just shouldn't go near any reference blower, that was all I was trying to say. For Pascal it's a bit different as there are so many near-silent options that it's as if reference doesn't even exist anymore. Hopefully AMD's partners can be encouraged to get some here soon...

Soldato
Isn't it meant to be one of the better reference cards? From what I've read here I was under the impression that Vega was quieter than the Pascal reference blowers, especially if you go for one of cheap as chips non reference blowers.

I'd choose a modded V64 blower with something like this fitted over a V64 AIO.

I wanted an AIO V64 on release until I saw the price and I was reluctant to go with the AC version because of the reference cooler noise potential. The AC V64 was £450 and the AIO was £630 and IMHO no way was that cooler worth £180. In the end I went with the AC version and modded my existing G10 Kraken mount with a Corsair H100. So £450 and a few hours drilling the G10 mounts and I have a very quiet GPU with great performance.

Prices of Vega 56 and 64 are a joke now to be honest.

Permabanned
I wanted an AIO V64 on release until I saw the price and I was reluctant to go with the AC version because of the reference cooler noise potential. The AC V64 was £450 and the AIO was £630 and IMHO no way was that cooler worth £180. In the end I went with the AC version and modded my existing G10 Kraken mount with a Corsair H100. So £450 and a few hours drilling the G10 mounts and I have a very quiet GPU with great performance.

Prices of Vega 56 and 64 are a joke now to be honest.

I wish I'd of had the balls to do my own DIY job with a V64 blower when they had the £100 + off, but as you say none of them are worth what they cost today. At some point AMD are going to realise what's going on and drop the price as if they don't people will start giving up on waiting. I need to replace my 1080 with something that fits in my new case which is sat in a box doing nothing at the moment, I wish they'd get on with it. The problem I see is that the non-reference Vega's will cost even more than the reference ones while offering no real extra performance as we've seen with the two Strix reviews. RTG's in a big rut at the moment but it's now their turn to get some loving.

Associate
To me it seems we are not going to see a return in price as far as we would like. Recently Digitimes had this article.

I have never mined and have no idea on this aspect. Even if VEGA is not a great card for mining and other cards are, I reckon as those cards prices are remaining buoyant it's having a knock on effect on others.

When I recently sold my Fury X, GTX 1080 and couldn't find a viable VEGA deal I looked for a 2nd hand AMD card based on Hawaii/Grenada. It was shocking to see how the pricing had rebounded back to levels of circa £200. These cards had at one point (especially Hawaii with 4GB) gone to circa £150.

I'm just glad my searching for a VEGA deal has ended and happy enough snagging one for ~£465 after accounting for the £11 cashback and valuing Prey/Wolfenstein @ ~£40. Bonus is:-

i) it's a Limited Edition, even if not using the cooler I see it as something that may help it's resale plus look cool as display piece on shelf :p .

ii) Gigabyte, so 3yrs warranty with UK RMA centre AFAIK.

Caporegime
Well I ordered a V64 limited edition for tomorrow delivery.
Price premium is nil given the games and it's the limited edition.

If I don't like it I'll just send it back, I've got it on finance anyway so it only has to last me two years and hopefully the market will be better by then.
Also bought myself a 256GB SSD.

Associate
Indeed.
Judging by the stock, we're still pretty much the only ones to take it up.

The V56 deal OCUK has just put up is "solid" for now to be honest, although still too much.
At least with this V64 SKU it's got a more premium aspect to it being limited edition.

I do believe the higher SKU commands better resale. I saw this in the case of 290/X, I had 2x 290 and 2x 290X. Same with Fiji. Performance/price is not as good for sure, but I believe there is "placebo" effect. In that it's "best". I do think the Limited Edition cooler will also help resale factor, just for "want" if not price.

With RX VEGA due to lack of bios mod and thinking reg mods could get blocked by driver I just felt it was more justifiable to go V64 and be done with it.

I have no qualms on ref PCB quality so had no reason to wait for AIB boards. Then also wish to WC I don't envisage AIB cards will gain blocks in the case of AMD.

Giga-Man I contacted via trust and he replied as long as cooler is replaced with stock for warranty claim it's not an issue. Also as year 2/3 warranty is with Gigabyte I envisage better support from them than the etailer used (I don't have high regard for etailer, basically the promo/need for GPU forced purchase from them).

Gigabyte having UK RMA centre is a plus as well IMO.

I've seen many posts where people say AIB cards may OC better so wait, I don't believe that. It was not the case with Hawaii or Fiji for me. It just boils down to "Silicon lottery" what GPU is present on PCB IMO.

Soldato
I don't think V56 with 2 games at 428 is any worse than stand alone at 389. I think they're both poor prices ultimately. But if I was buying, I'd take either of them.

I've been stuck at 980/1060/rx470 performance for what seems like years now,
I'm nearly tempted but think I can hold out just that little longer.

Associate
I've been stuck at 980/1060/rx470 performance for what seems like years now,
I'm nearly tempted but think I can hold out just that little longer.
Considering the Vega is twice that of a 290X perf wise it's a pretty big jump. I never got Fury X as it was too much of a sidegrade from the 290/390 cards. When a single card doubles perf though then I'm in ;)

Soldato
Considering the Vega is twice that of a 290X perf wise it's a pretty big jump. I never got Fury X as it was too much of a sidegrade from the 290/390 cards. When a single card doubles perf though then I'm in ;)
I agree it would be a nice jump and a reference card works better in my case, I'm so tempted to bite on the 56, but something is telling me just to hold out for a bit more.

Caporegime

Vega performs like Fury X with higher clockers.
If anything I wish I'd bought a Fury X when it launched and waited out Vega.

Back
Top Bottom