• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Man of Honour
At the end of writing this post, I've just gotten more confused as to whether the AMD driver stack is as good as Nvidia or worse or better really. :x

There was a time when ATI/AMD drivers would often be lacking on a new game release and had legacy bugs like long standing issues with hardware accelerated 2D surface, missing functionality for less mainstream texture formats which the driver exposed in capibilities but didn't actually do anything, etc. - this has not been the case for a few years now.

nVidia have had more ropey drivers of late but there has been a key difference in that when their drivers have a problem there is almost always a slightly older driver that works, etc. with AMD that often wasn't the case.

Associate
There was a time when ATI/AMD drivers would often be lacking on a new game release and had legacy bugs like long standing issues with hardware accelerated 2D surface, missing functionality for less mainstream texture formats which the driver exposed in capibilities but didn't actually do anything, etc. - this has not been the case for a few years now.

nVidia have had more ropey drivers of late but there has been a key difference in that when their drivers have a problem there is almost always a slightly older driver that works, etc. with AMD that often wasn't the case.

My first GFX card was GeForce 4 4600 Ti 128 MB AGP 4x/8x (man was that a game changer back then until ATI Radeon 9700 came out) and i have been on NVIDIA bandwagon since then. I decided to go with the underdog for a simple reason of being sick of NVIDIA's monopoly on gaming market and absolutely loved what they were doing on the CPU side with the Ryzen, the freedom the affordability not just hardware itself but also accessories (like free-sync monitors). You're right though AMD has majorly stepped their game up with their drivers since then, but from always running NVIDIA it was a bit of a rough adjustment to AMD drivers starting from RX Vega launch. AMD's Adrenaline drivers on the other hand I'm lost for words, even with some bugs, their ReLive Overlay game is @ 1000% over NVIDIA's GeForce Experience and I'm glad to see AMD finally bringing some competition to the table on both sides of the company bringing ULTRA gaming experience no only to the "ritch" people but also to broke a$$es like me:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Comparing Titan V mining ETH versus Vega 64 on XMR though the Titan V still produces 4-9% more profit depending on settings and what is achievable sustained. Though ROI might be another story.
You're right, if you compare the Titan-V running it's most profitable algo to a Vega running it's most profitable algo then the Titan-V will make an extra $19 a month (which will offset the price difference in infinity years lol).

In fairness though it's not like all the sites heralding the Titan-V as a mining god have not been skewing the results in it's favour.

Permabanned
Wonder whos going to be the first with a Nitro+ :D
Whoops.

When i saw them in stock about an hr ago, they were still £750!.

I know, That's really annoying, I just phoned the place with the V64 Nitro at £630 to get a likely stock date and they said somewhere from the 29th of Dec to the middle of January so I thought sod it and grabbed one here, I've gotta buy a Meccano set next to mod my case for it, I already got the pci-e riser a few weeks back.

Associate
Well it looks like I will never find out whether it was my PSU or not as someone broke in my house yesterday and took everything. The chances of me being able to start from scratch and being able to afford another Vega 64 at current prices are slim to none. I guess it R.I.P. my poor poor Vega for me :(

Associate
Well it looks like I will never find out whether it was my PSU or not as someone broke in my house yesterday and took everything. The chances of me being able to start from scratch and being able to afford another Vega 64 at current prices are slim to none. I guess it R.I.P. my poor poor Vega for me :(

Ouch! :( Do you have insurance? Of course, even if you do, prices are too darn high now.

Permabanned

Sorry to hear the news. Sadly we have to share the World with some real scumbags, When I was little (13 or 14 ish) someone broke into our house and it wasn't the fact that they nicked the telly, VCR and Stereo that hurt it was that they stole some Jewellery that my Dad had bought my mum not long before he died. It was all she was bothered about, At the time I was too young to really get it but now I do.
Let's hope Karma pays them back for you.

unfortunately I'm stupid enough to not have gotten renters insurance

I've been there, I lived in a house that burned down back in the early 90's.

Soldato
So so sorry to hear that, let me be the first to offer any spare Pc parts I have as yours if you want them, if anyone else has kindness in their heart to do the same maybe we can piece something together for you.
(at least you will have the powersupply?)

Associate
Sorry to hear the news. Sadly we have to share the World with some real scumbags, When I was little (13 or 14 ish) someone broke into our house and it wasn't the fact that they nicked the telly, VCR and Stereo that hurt it was that they stole some Jewellery that my Dad had bought my mum not long before he died. It was all she was bothered about, At the time I was too young to really get it but now I do.
Let's hope Karma pays them back for you.
Damn, yea that sucks about ur dad's gift jewelry because those sentimental type of things can never be replaced. But only thing can be done now in my situation is me starting to save my money for NAVI and Ryzen 2 i guess

Associate
So so sorry to hear that, let me be the first to offer any spare Pc parts I have as yours if you want them, if anyone else has kindness in their heart to do the same maybe we can piece something together for you.
(at least you will have the powersupply?)
Thanks, it would be to embarrassing to ask anyone for anything and i really do appreciate the gesture as of right now I'm computer-less and using the computer an my job. I have a 4th gen i5 CPU and some ddr3 memory kit just no motherboard or Videocard and will have my PSU on Wednesday and can always buy a cheap case. As embarrassing as it would be to ask, i will not refuse a gift.

Soldato

Oh man, that sucks. And just before Christmas too. Sorry that it happened to you. I would be raging right now. And you have nothing now? No computer? No monitor? Cleaned out your whole apartment? What are you going to do for xmas? Stories like these make me so depressed and angry.

Are you in the UK?

Associate
You never know the Police might get lucky.
True, but very unlikely. I live in PG County Maryland, and the cops around here have so much going on that a break-in like this is less likely to be dealt with with precision. But i amd holding my fingers crossed because i have spent most of my savings on my Desktop, i dont even care if they dont find my $1500 gaming MSI laptop. Just retun my watercooled ryzen+vega system i have dedicated so much money and time on. :(

Back
Top Bottom