• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Anyone with a 2700x and 580/Vega 54/Vega 64 would try out X Plane 11 for me with high settings??

X-Plane is mostly CPU bound and benefits greatly from high clock speeds (for best results an overclocked i7-8600K/8700K just can't be beaten) due to the essentially single-threaded nature of OpenGL, but graphics performance also really suffers with an AMD GPU in general ... X-plane just can't get the most out of the GPU, seems to be able to achieve about 75-80% or so of the performance of an otherwise comparable nvidia GPU.

Hopefully implementation of Vulkan (somewhere late this year or early next year, hopefully) will improve it for us AMD users.

Permabanned
Yeah with the overclock please. Could you do one from Seattle with high AA and the details one notch from max and the same for Innsbruck? Perhaps one in a light aircraft and one in a 737?

Really appreciate it

Matt

Soldato
X-Plane is mostly CPU bound and benefits greatly from high clock speeds (for best results an overclocked i7-8600K/8700K just can't be beaten) due to the essentially single-threaded nature of OpenGL, but graphics performance also really suffers with an AMD GPU in general ... X-plane just can't get the most out of the GPU, seems to be able to achieve about 75-80% or so of the performance of an otherwise comparable nvidia GPU.

Hopefully implementation of Vulkan (somewhere late this year or early next year, hopefully) will improve it for us AMD users.

May be best to run it on linux then with the oss driver, to be honest I thought Xplan on win used DX.

7980XE @ stock

embed.php

Tanks on V-high though for both teams.

embed.php

Soldato
Ok first of all, hadn't followed the Nitro+ reviews. So was amazed when saw a thick metal contraption to hold the card from sagging. Clearly there is some pretty well thought and cheap solution. Kudos to Sapphire. Something the Aorus GTX1080Ti Xtreme did from the very first minute having become a curve.

Second the card is huge. Not as thick as the 1080Ti but way longer, not that I have issue with that though the cooler looks descent.

Third haven't figure out whats with the 2 extra fan headers, are they needed? Does someone knows?

Fourth, seems is the brand new revision of the card shown at Computex 2018, with the 2 8-pin connectors. How good/bad that is I do not know yet.

And finally. The proof just in case :p (@Kaapstad )

Va1IqEE.jpg

Permabanned
@Panos The Nitro+ is an amazing card, I had the limited edition version that comes with 3 x 8 pins and as we saw with the Fury Tri-x range Sapphire do make the best high-end AMD cards. I still question my decision to sell mine with a tinge of regret.

Soldato
@Panos The Nitro+ is an amazing card, I had the limited edition version that comes with 3 x 8 pins and as we saw with the Fury Tri-x range Sapphire do make the best high-end AMD cards. I still question my decision to sell mine with a tinge of regret.

I will delve to it next few days while waiting a waterblock for it (yes there is one in China for the Nitro+, and pretty damn good it seems).

I need to install MSIAB for the overlay again but at what ever stock fan, speeds etc the card is, is 60% faster than the FuryX @ 1190.

Since you had one, do I have to connect the 2 extra fan headers? The card seems working fine.

the sapphire is a cracking looking card.

even comes with its own scaffolding hehe

Which is exactly what I thought when saw it in the box. Hence used the word contraption to describe it, as is better than bracket.
Is just a relative inexpensive solution that could cost them $3-5 even $10 but stops the card from sagging. That is a very good thinking there and must give credit to Sapphire.

Also the backplate is well thought also with all these gaps for airflow.
On the Aorus Xtreme, even at 100% fan speed when gaming, you could easily cook some eggs on the backplate.
With the Nitro+ even at 60C degrees while gaming few minutes ago, it was easy on touch and not hot.
And I have 2 140mm fans at 60% speed blowing down to the backplate in both occasions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom