• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Can someone point me towards a waterblock for my Sapphire 64? please
Certainly can but i think I cannot post other sites wares on here, i will message you on trust or.....
Basically just search vega ek fc on google
OR if you want an AIO for the ref vega, you can get one from Alphacool, contains the pump and rad and all that you need, but is fiddly to install.

Caporegime
I have the 2730Z that is why asking.
Having looked at the LG new monitor, I don't see why it could cost 50% more than this or the CF791/CJ791.

Yeah neither can i tbh, i was going to get the CF791, but read loads about it black screening, and having FreeSync flickering, so went for the BenQ, i think someone said those problems have been fixed now though.

Soldato
Friend of mine is looking to get an Acer XR38 monitor with his Vega 64... the monitor is 3840x1600, 75Hz + Freesync... how do you think it will cope at that res for regular gaming (nothing crazy competitive)? I've never had this GPU myself but curious how people are finding it at higher resolutions.

Soldato
Friend of mine is looking to get an Acer XR38 monitor with his Vega 64... the monitor is 3840x1600, 75Hz + Freesync... how do you think it will cope at that res for regular gaming (nothing crazy competitive)? I've never had this GPU myself but curious how people are finding it at higher resolutions.

3840X1600 has 25% more pixels than 3440x1440. So I would expect at drop 15%-20% in FPS from 3440x1440.
However your mate need to consider the LG alternative. No other reason but the Acer XR38 had issues with Vega until 18.6.1.

@LtMatt I have read a lot of threads in AMD forum in relation to issues with XR38, but the latest such reported issue was around May time. Is all OK with this monitor now?

Soldato
If Kaapstad installed the latest drivers and re ran the test he'd have a huge Vega score.

Ssssshhhhh :p

With your LC vega, do you find the backplate does anything practical or you just put it back on for aesthetics ? I had a feeling that leaving it open air was better so that air flow took the heat away, but I may be wrong, let me know and I will pop my backplate back on

I'm of the opinion that it does indeed draw heat away from the hot spots on the card. If it gets hot then i5s doing its job. It's a larger surface to draw the heat away for the internal case fans to move cooler air across the surface. With the temps I get, I definitely think it's better having one on than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'm of the opinion that it does indeed draw heat away from the hot spots on the card. If it gets hot then i5s doing its job. It's a larger surface to draw the heat away for the internal case fans to move cooler air across the surface. With the temps I get, I definitely think it's better having one on than not.
Thanks for that, i will pop it back on.
Does it have thermal pads, i've forgotten...

Soldato
I'm not convinced they do anything. If it was actually in contact with the rear of the card/chipset it would act as a heatsink, but it isn't.

I think it's just to protect the PCB (so you don't have to touch it when installing) and to look nice. Also to give it rigidity so it doesn't warp as much.

Soldato
3840X1600 has 25% more pixels than 3440x1440. So I would expect at drop 15%-20% in FPS from 3440x1440.
However your mate need to consider the LG alternative. No other reason but the Acer XR38 had issues with Vega until 18.6.1.

@LtMatt I have read a lot of threads in AMD forum in relation to issues with XR38, but the latest such reported issue was around May time. Is all OK with this monitor now?

Not an insignificant drop then. It is annoying AMD don't have a more powerful GPU to push it, as it's a nice looking monitor.

Soldato
Not an insignificant drop then. It is annoying AMD don't have a more powerful GPU to push it, as it's a nice looking monitor.

Look at 3840x1600 the Vega 64 should push 70-75fps considering is pushing 100fps at 3440x1440.
And those monitors are 75hz either way.... You need to cap the FPS on the drivers to avoid going over the freesync range.

Soldato
I'm not convinced they do anything. If it was actually in contact with the rear of the card/chipset it would act as a heatsink, but it isn't.

I think it's just to protect the PCB (so you don't have to touch it when installing) and to look nice. Also to give it rigidity so it doesn't warp as much.

True. Though the Nitro doesn't need the backplate to hold the card straight, as it has the scaffolding. :p

Ssssshhhhh :p

You should be afraid of me more, than Kaap ;)

hehehehehehehe <evil laugh>

Soldato
True. Though the Nitro doesn't need the backplate to hold the card straight, as it has the scaffolding. :p

You should be afraid of me more, than Kaap ;)

hehehehehehehe <evil laugh>

I've no issue with anyone beating my score, I'm really not that bothered as I'm not much of a benchmarker. I say do it, I wanna see Vega score as high as possible , I don't push it for my own personal epeen rating

Soldato

I put little pads on the back of mine to draw the heat out of the PCB and hotspots

Back
Top Bottom