• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
"I think Trixx has all the states disabled except for P7 in GPU and P3 in memory." Do you see any downside to locking it like that for a gaming profile? Why don't you use it?
I'm finding playing around in wattman is giving me some decent settings - hit the right spots and it will keep your core clock pretty constant, without dips.
You can lock states in wattman too. But if you don't, you don't have to change it for desktop, light loads etc, you can just leave your gaming setting running.
I haven't tried overdriventool, or early versions of wattman - the current one is simple to use, and you can bring it up in gaming if you want - alt-r
It's kind of useful tweaking in game to see the result it has on power draw, or on fps.

Definitely worth pushing the memory, as it gives higher fps.

Associate
I keep fan control in wattman at auto and use MSI afterburner beta 12 to configure a custom fan curve.You have finer control with Afterburner and in my case changing any setting in wattman causes the fans to idle at 1200rpm. So therefore I use Afterburner to make it so the fans are off until 35 degrees or so
Have you tried turning zero fan off then on again and clicking apply?
When I first looked at wattman, I didn't make any changes and the zero fan stopped working, but it's been fine since.
I think it's borked in the 18... drivers though - 19... drivers fixed it.

Soldato
Finally got the PSU situation sorted now, unless this one dies too, and I've noticed that strangely the performance in AC Odyssey has improved about 10%. Same drivers, settings etc. Not really sure what's going on but hey, I'll take all the extra performance comes my way. :D

Associate
So I figured out all my issues with my VEGA it's my damn PSU. Not bad... but bad enough to drive me crazy all this time and never even consider it as my issue. I'm sure most of you know but I'll say this for those who dig up this thread that don't. 1) Don't get a bronze rated PSU always go gold or better. yeah you'll by just fine but for how long? Not long. Degradation on them is so much faster than 80+ Gold and up. 2) Because of this degradation your PSU won't push what it says it will. Like when you read the specs and it says 90% of the watts during full load and stress etc. etc. That will go down and you won't even notice it. Everything will run fine and normal until you need those watts. 3) Vega 64 is very finicky when it comes to power therefore an issue like this is escalated. My drivers crashing, weird issues, blue screen then back to my input, AMD software crashing, game crashes, Windows freezing when left idle sometimes, Benchmarks running fine but some games having issues and throttling etc. etc. I believe them to all be related to my PSU issue. I have such a headache from all this I'm just gaming on my 390 for awhile as it runs 1000000000% fine and has since I got it 4 years ago. All this tweaking and testing and crashing... I have barely even gamed in 3 weeks. Anyway guys thanks for everything so far and I'll be back with a new PSU to hash out my VEGA 64 sweet spot in a few weeks. See you then and enjoy your VEGA in the meantime boys and girls^^

Associate
My bad - those settings produce artificing in games - not straightaway though and they produced mentally high fps - it was doing 58-60fps galloping through crowded streets in witcher 3 @ 4k ultra settings hairworks off, in my testing.
Ahhhh man. Damn. Fun while it lasted though I bet! No worries I'm sure you won't be far off from that soon anyway. Plus @4k we really don't need all that AA and ultra everything anyway... we just WANT it. Lol. Cheers guys see ya soon^^

Permabanned
Keep in mind these are 1440p cards. 4K is not even really 2080Ti territory still. It's getting there but it'll be at least another high end generation before 4K is a proper reality for gaming.

Seriously?? Gaming @ 4k only needs some minor tweaking of the in-game settings to work & 9 times out of 10 it can be done so you struggle to see the difference, Demanding you use every setting at it's highest is folly, Recently I spent some time running 3440x1440 with an RX480 and after adjusting the settings the experience wasn't that different to how it was with my Vega64, framerates were close and visually it was hard to tell which was which.

Associate
Ahhhh man. Damn. Fun while it lasted though I bet! No worries I'm sure you won't be far off from that soon anyway. Plus @4k we really don't need all that AA and ultra everything anyway... we just WANT it. Lol. Cheers guys see ya soon^^
I turn pretty much everything up full, no AA because at 4k there are no jaggies.
I'm not a fast twitch gamer, so I don't need massively high fps. I like to have a look around.
It's still sitting around 48-50 fps, which is absolutely fine for me, with freesync, the occasional dips are still above 40fps, >60 if I'm doing nowt.

Caporegime
Keep in mind these are 1440p cards. 4K is not even really 2080Ti territory still. It's getting there but it'll be at least another high end generation before 4K is a proper reality for gaming.
Disagree, Vega 64 Liquid (overclocked) handles 4K just fine at max or near max settings in most games.

Associate
Finally got the PSU situation sorted now, unless this one dies too, and I've noticed that strangely the performance in AC Odyssey has improved about 10%. Same drivers, settings etc. Not really sure what's going on but hey, I'll take all the extra performance comes my way. :D

I got a huge performance boost in AC Odyssey after uv/oc my card. Really was night and day the difference!

Associate
Depends what you're playing and how you play - the need for 60fps minimum is quite a modern thing.
I'm old enough to remember when 25fps min was considered playable - looked fine with a high quality CRT monitor - though tournament FPS players would dial settings right down for fast fps and less lag
Now anything with mins in the 30's is disparagingly called 'cinematic.'
I'm sure what works for me wouldn't work for yourself , or quite a few other gamers :)

Associate
Depends what you're playing and how you play - the need for 60fps minimum is quite a modern thing.
I'm old enough to remember when 25fps min was considered playable - looked fine with a high quality CRT monitor - though tournament FPS players would dial settings right down for fast fps and less lag
Now anything with mins in the 30's is disparagingly called 'cinematic.'
I'm sure what works for me wouldn't work for yourself , or quite a few other gamers :)
All good, I remember lugging a 19" CRT to LAN's which was a huge effort for a monitor that weighed close to 32kg :D

I guess I was also one of those aiming for the right FPS limit for the games. More recently I've been working on minimizing the low's and maintaining frametimes as smooth as possible instead of just chasing the highest average with the best detail compromise. Amazing how much consistency in frame rates can improve ones experience and actual capabilities ingame.

One thing I never accepted was the 'min 25fps' argument though. Even when I had a Cyrix 166 I was always aiming for a min of 60FPS, though as always time teaches more and more and knowing what I do about frametimes I'm optimizing further. However I also have quite sensitive eyesight so even though I'm stuck with 60Hz monitors currently I would ideally be on 144Hz monitors and would be aiming to keep a min of 120fps at all times. Freesync of course helps mitigate that issue, but doesn't help with lower tick rates when they are tied to FPS (why dev's still do this for some things I do not know...).

Associate
All good, I remember lugging a 19" CRT to LAN's which was a huge effort for a monitor that weighed close to 32kg :D

I guess I was also one of those aiming for the right FPS limit for the games. More recently I've been working on minimizing the low's and maintaining frametimes as smooth as possible instead of just chasing the highest average with the best detail compromise. Amazing how much consistency in frame rates can improve ones experience and actual capabilities ingame.

One thing I never accepted was the 'min 25fps' argument though. Even when I had a Cyrix 166 I was always aiming for a min of 60FPS, though as always time teaches more and more and knowing what I do about frametimes I'm optimizing further. However I also have quite sensitive eyesight so even though I'm stuck with 60Hz monitors currently I would ideally be on 144Hz monitors and would be aiming to keep a min of 120fps at all times. Freesync of course helps mitigate that issue, but doesn't help with lower tick rates when they are tied to FPS (why dev's still do this for some things I do not know...).
I have a 144hz 1440p freesync monitor I'm not using :)

Associate
I keep fan control in wattman at auto and use MSI afterburner beta 12 to configure a custom fan curve.You have finer control with Afterburner and in my case changing any setting in wattman causes the fans to idle at 1200rpm. So therefore I use Afterburner to make it so the fans are off until 35 degrees or so
From the 56 forum;
Btw guys if you have issues with Zero RPM not working, just go to Global Wattman, hit 'reset' then 'apply'.. then load your profile again for Zero RPM to kick in

Back
Top Bottom