• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Update: reached 850mV. However temperature isn't really dropping any further.

Either the board / chip has aggressive LLC, or it isn't applying voltage lower than a certain number to states 6 & 7.

At a guess id say it simply stops applying, pascal and vega have what can only be called safeguard chips, they have it built into them that specific settings beyond a certain point are not doable in a safe fashion and it simply stops you from doing it. Like how you can throw tons of volts into vega and vega just goes nope, not doing it, the bios says x so you arnt going beyond x.

Associate
At a guess id say it simply stops applying, pascal and vega have what can only be called safeguard chips, they have it built into them that specific settings beyond a certain point are not doable in a safe fashion and it simply stops you from doing it. Like how you can throw tons of volts into vega and vega just goes nope, not doing it, the bios says x so you arnt going beyond x.

Undervolting isn't going to hurt it though. It may crash the driver, that's all.

HWInfo is reporting GPU core voltage as locked at 1.356V and HBM2 voltage at load (it drops at idle) of around 1.05V. I'm guessing they've mislabeled them, and HBM2 Voltage is actually core voltage. My guess is that WattMan either doesn't apply voltages lower than 1050mV or 1000mV. Difficult to tell as I think modern graphics cards have LLC.

Anyway, at load, HWInfo is showing around 210-220W power consumption.

Wattman will (pretend) to apply any core voltage as low as 800mV (and it's stable there), anything below and it will scrub it back to the last valid value. If they aren't applying lower than 1000mV - 1050mV, then why have it set at 800mV??!?!? So silly.

Associate
Update, WattMan is a total joke.

AMD really need to pull themselves together.

It appears that core voltage and HBM voltage are the wrong way round in WattMan!

It makes sense. HBM voltage is supposed not to do anything yet. GPU core reads as 1.356V permanently in HWInfo. However when I change HBM voltage in Wattman, GPU Memory Voltage goes up / down the same amount!

So, folks, if you want to use Wattman (don't!), you need to remember to use HBM voltage to undervolt your GPU core.

They shouldn't have released this latest driver if it was this dysfunctional. Better to just not allow undervolting.

Associate
quick question, looking for new cpu to go with my new Vega build. Would I lose a lot of gaming performance with a Ryzen 1300-1500x instead of the higher tiers models?

Associate
My card under EK block is peaking @ 35c.
Also it can run stock clocks, 1630 @ 1000mv, down from 1200mv stock.
Causes total system draw to drop from peak of 620w to 460w.

HBM can do 1105mhz, hard crash after that.

Associate
Undervolting isn't going to hurt it though. It may crash the driver, that's all.

HWInfo is reporting GPU core voltage as locked at 1.356V and HBM2 voltage at load (it drops at idle) of around 1.05V. I'm guessing they've mislabeled them, and HBM2 Voltage is actually core voltage. My guess is that WattMan either doesn't apply voltages lower than 1050mV or 1000mV. Difficult to tell as I think modern graphics cards have LLC.

Anyway, at load, HWInfo is showing around 210-220W power consumption.

Wattman will (pretend) to apply any core voltage as low as 800mV (and it's stable there), anything below and it will scrub it back to the last valid value. If they aren't applying lower than 1000mV - 1050mV, then why have it set at 800mV??!?!? So silly.

im not so much on about what will damage it, but every man/women and there dog think that overclocking/undervolting is simple cos the ui says slide this. So nvidia and radeon have gone out of there way to make sure the troops out there arnt blowing there stuff up.

edit, every wo/man thing was a bit ott, but ye know what i mean.

Associate
I'm now fairly sure that at least via WattMan (and in my case having to use HBM voltage to set GPU voltage) that it is not actually applying GPU core voltages lower than 1000mV. At least certainly not lower than around 970-980mV. It will 'apply' 800mV, but doesn't make any difference to the readings in HWInfo.

Will have to see if WattTool will apply lower voltages. It's rock solid around 1000mV.

Associate
I'm now fairly sure that at least via WattMan (and in my case having to use HBM voltage to set GPU voltage) that it is not actually applying GPU core voltages lower than 1000mV. At least certainly not lower than around 970-980mV. It will 'apply' 800mV, but doesn't make any difference to the readings in HWInfo.

Will have to see if WattTool will apply lower voltages. It's rock solid around 1000mV.

No it does. I had downclocking @ 950mv, less downclocking @ 975mv, no downclocking at 1000mv

Soldato
So, my Sapphire Vega64 Liquid Edition arrived today, ordered on launch day for £638. Missed out on initial stock, though more arrived yesterday and one of them had my name on it:)

Picture for the roll of honour:

R0qP5CO.jpg

Installed and running:

IYbYz3n.jpg

Firestrike: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21739425?

Played a few hours of prey, looped 3dmark a few times, blasted through some GTA5, all running smoothly with no crashes, on Turbo settings in wattman. Very impressed with the performance, is a major step up from my RX580, all silky smooth at 1440P 144Hz freesync :cool:

Noise wise, very happy. The pump is very quiet, can hardly hear it if I stop the radiator fan. Much quieter than the usual pumps in corsair AIO's etc. I may end up replacing the radiator fan with a Noctua though, to match the rest of my case. It's not loud, though is noticeable over the rest of my (very) quiet case fans. Luckily no warranty void stickers on the aluminium shroud, so I can simply disconnect the current fan and install a new one if needed.

The only negative so far is that I feel pressured to replace my Noctua UH12S heatsink with an AIO, so have a better view of the gorgeous backplate :)

Caporegime
So, my Sapphire Vega64 Liquid Edition arrived today, ordered on launch day for £638. Missed out on initial stock, though more arrived yesterday and one of them had my name on it:)

Picture for the roll of honour:

R0qP5CO.jpg

Installed and running:

IYbYz3n.jpg

Firestrike: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21739425?

Played a few hours of prey, looped 3dmark a few times, blasted through some GTA5, all running smoothly with no crashes, on Turbo settings in wattman. Very impressed with the performance, is a major step up from my RX580, all silky smooth at 1440P 144Hz freesync :cool:

Noise wise, very happy. The pump is very quiet, can hardly hear it if I stop the radiator fan. Much quieter than the usual pumps in corsair AIO's etc. I may end up replacing the radiator fan with a Noctua though, to match the rest of my case. It's not loud, though is noticeable over the rest of my (very) quiet case fans. Luckily no warranty void stickers on the aluminium shroud, so I can simply disconnect the current fan and install a new one if needed.

The only negative so far is that I feel pressured to replace my Noctua UH12S heatsink with an AIO, so have a better view of the gorgeous backplate :)
Nice!

Back
Top Bottom