The SFF Case Gallery And Specs Thread

Just finished my Shuttle Cased NAS / Browsing machine.

The machine is a Shuttle SK22G2 Case modified to fix the following
Asus ION Deluxe Motherboard with Passive ATOM cpu and ION Graphics. External PSU
4GB DDR3 Ram
Asus PCi-E SATA 6GB / USB 3 Card
64GB Kingston SSD Drive
4 x 640GB Laptop drives in a front loading Hot-swap bay

I have installed the shuttle exhaust fan on the CPU header and it's totally silent... TBH the fan is not needed, but nice to have.

Machine uses 60w under full load and at idle is 30w. Has Windows 7 Pro installed and goes in and out of Sleep mode wonderfully. When in sleep (Not Hybrid) uses less than 2w and comes back very quickly. I have it set for wake on LAN and it wakes using magic packet from any machine on my network. Wake on LAN works from sleep or full shutdown.

frontRight_Closed.jpg

rightSide_Open.jpg

More Pics Here

Last edited:
is that gigabyte one somaller than the zotac ion boards? i had shuttle ab61g2 case lying around but wouldnt not fit the the ports facing the correct position (to the back of the case.

is that gigabyte one somaller than the zotac ion boards? i had shuttle ab61g2 case lying around but wouldnt not fit the the ports facing the correct position (to the back of the case.

The shuttle requires modding to fix an ITX motherboard.
Firstly the back needs cutting becuase the shuttle allows for 2 x PCI-e / PCI / AGP slots where as ITX only has one and the back plate connections are wider.

back_Open.jpg

The first time I did this mod, I cut a hole in the back big enough for the Asus Motherboard backing plate, but that means cutting all the way along which is hard work and damages the PSU area and the FAN Area, so this time i just left it open and all I had to cut was a little corner on the first PCI slot.

Other than that, the only mod required is to add Motherboard mount risers as the Shuttle ones are in the wrong place. You do need to remove the Shuttle risers too. I just hammer those out and then drill holes for the new ones and force them to screw in thus cutting the threads.

The only thing I have not been able to do yet is work out how to use the front USB / Audio

Out of the Q08 and into this:

img20110331160945.jpg

img20110331161004.jpg

img20110331161026.jpg

Specs in sig.

I must say that despite the tiny size of the case I had no trouble at all building it. I was expecting to have difficulty with the modular PSU cables but there is acres of room inside (exaggeration but it is surprisingly roomy).

Moved into the Q06 because now I can fit any graphics card ever with any GPU or CPU cooler I choose. Also when going back to uni I can just take the graphics card off and its nice and easy to carry.

Just trying to work out what cooler to get now.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm confused. You run your HTPC with the GPU and mobo outside of the case...?

Nooooo this is my gaming pc. I won't be building an HTPC till P67/Z68 ITX boards come out then this board is going into the Q08 with an i3 (2100T most likely) and a load of big WD green HDDs.

I have no use for an HTPC whilst at uni or at home with my mum but I finish uni this year and am moving in with my gf so hopefully by then I should be able to do an HTPC/Media server for our new house.

Had it long enough so should probably post some pictures - nothing special!

E8400 @ stock
OCZ Gold 4GB
SG05 with noctua 7.5v mod, power leds disabled
Zotac 9300itx
Seagate 500GB 7200.12

All in all pretty quiet and does the job well. Comparing performance with my dad's i5 dell in day to day usage I honestly see no difference.

Last edited:
^ ^ ^
Very nice, but I think I would have been tempted to put a micro ATX in there... it would fit, wouldn't it?

All these pictures keep tempting me to dig out my camera, and take of few of my kit, before it gets assembled!

Don't think an matx would fit, certainly not advertised as fitting one. A nice little case though! When I upgrade in a year or two I think I'll move back to A lian Q07 or similar.

Back
Top Bottom