The 'Show Your Creative Side' thread

Soldato
Made a carvers mallet out of old plastic bottles.

DSC_1986_zpsmg1wpxdi.jpg

IMG_6506_zpsbp05ucmm.jpg

DSC_2107_zps9v1snfhd.jpg

and a bushcraft knife. Pretty pleased for a first attempt. I'll be making some more adventurous designs this year hopefully.

IMG_6337_zps300a707d.jpg

IMG_6445_zps500b06f6.jpg

DSC_7559_zps7cdadfca.jpg

DSC_7761_zpstih8yb7i.jpg

Made loads of other things but i dont want to take over the thread :p. Always have a little project on the go to help keep my depression at bay.

Associate
@ Muska, damn that wheel is amazing, can u show us a couple more videos of it in action plz, bet that thing could break ur arm in half, so awesome.

@ mark A. It will cut... it will kill :)) (forged in fire quote)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure if I can compete with some of the mechanical marvels above, i'm not an engineer just a lowly musician, but I built this tune from scratch and I'm pretty pleased with it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78674728/WhoAreWe_2016_FINAL.mp3

I have some better stuff on the burner right now, but this is probably the best I have made to date production wise.

Hope you enjoy.

I like this and the guitar kick at 1 minute is very The Sundays which is a very good thing. I like your vocalists style and how stark it is.

I like this, nice chord/chorus/verse progression and good vocals :D

I'm not really an engineer, not to the levels of what I've seen on this thread.

But I do make music at times, it's not nearly as accessible or well engineered as your track, and I haven't done anything in a while - in fact my music is probably considered a bit weird..but here is my sound cloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/david-wilson-450/tracks

Hope this is can be enjoyed haha

I only listened to 7 or 8 of the 28 songs but really enjoyed those! I'll finish the others later. I disagree strongly with Lt-Red on the 2Jan song - it works perfectly as it is. Your Radiodead song has been added to my playlist.

This is my band, The Boyfriend Club (don't ask about the name, long story). We released 5 tracks recently that we'd had saved up from the last 5 years or so! About time we released them...enjoy!

Enjoyed this, well mixed and mastered, first song is quite Blink 182-ish but I do like a good sing-a-long-a-pop-song :)

Anyway, here's my contribution.

My band, SugarCandy Mountain, re-recording the songs from our last ever gig 23 years agohttps://sugarcandy.bandcamp.com/

This is a work in progress so I'll keep adding finished mixes as we get there but it's interesting as we're all adults now with jobs and families and, because that's not enough of a block to getting recordings done, timezone differences too!

Caporegime
Not sure if I can compete with some of the mechanical marvels above, i'm not an engineer just a lowly musician, but I built this tune from scratch and I'm pretty pleased with it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78674728/WhoAreWe_2016_FINAL.mp3

I have some better stuff on the burner right now, but this is probably the best I have made to date production wise.

Hope you enjoy.

I've been listening to this track since my last post above and enjoyed it more on each listen. I think I said The Sundays for guitars but there's some very strong discordant vocal notes as well (also Radiohead I'd suggest) which I enjoyed so much that I made another mix (master, I suppose - the track structure doesn't change) which you can enjoy or ignore :)

Lt_Red's pretty great song

Last edited:
Soldato
These are great. The mixes are outstanding. Everythings crisp and clear and succulent. Full mixes are rounded and balanced. I'm impressed - something to aspire to!

Drum recording is awesome. Did you do this in a pro studio or is it home-made?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks very much, man! I'll try and give your track a listen at some point - I can't connect headphones at work unfortunately.

I can take no credit for the mixing, my bandmate does absolutely all of that stuff. I like to think he knows what he's doing.

For electric guitar and bass it's just direct input through a preamp, and he has a condenser microphone he uses for acoustic guitar and vocals, both of which also go through the preamp. The drums are an electric kit, so all midi, but he spends a lot of time on them. I wish we could use real drums to be honest.

My bandmate plays most of the rhythm guitar parts, and repetitive lead parts, drums, and sings harmonies. I play bass, the rest of the lead guitar including the solos, and sing. The writing is always a mixed job.

It's good fun! We don't take ourselves very seriously so the stuff we put out is just a product of us messing around.

Caporegime
Incredible thread :D

Unfortunately, I don't have much to show. My creativity comes from photography. But it's not something for this thread :)

@Building_Candy - I'll never forget that thread. I remember coming home from work and getting excited seeing there was an update. Mind blown mate :)

Associate
Which is where I could do with some collaboration help if I'm honest! I've done a little collaboration but not a great deal. I'll talk with you soon!

I would really like to help you out with this one even if its just pointing you in the right direction to get the right sounds in the track. Please do get in touch.

[FnG]magnolia;30394605 said:
I only listened to 7 or 8 of the 28 songs but really enjoyed those! I'll finish the others later. I disagree strongly with Lt-Red on the 2Jan song - it works perfectly as it is. Your Radiodead song has been added to my playlist.

I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh reading it back - just think it could be so much more! Sorry Gamefreak :o

[FnG]magnolia;30394661 said:
I've been listening to this track since my last post above and enjoyed it more on each listen. I think I said The Sundays for guitars but there's some very strong discordant vocal notes as well (also Radiohead I'd suggest) which I enjoyed so much that I made another mix (master, I suppose - the track structure doesn't change) which you can enjoy or ignore :)

Lt_Red's pretty great song

Hey thank you man! That's great!

What did you do to it? Mastering is my weak point, I don't really know what I'm doing :) I work to get the best mix on the faders and then I just slap it through Ozone Maximiser and have done with it lol :)

Shame its via the MP3 really as you can still hear some of the conversion fizz on the hats... Thank for taking the time to do it. Zoe, my vocalist is great I think, I have a real gem there. We are working on some other stuff right now, much less "safe" music, currently in a good direction. Getting excited about them.

Will check out your stuff after work :)

Caporegime
I would really like to help you out with this one even if its just pointing you in the right direction to get the right sounds in the track. Please do get in touch.

I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh reading it back - just think it could be so much more! Sorry Gamefreak :o

Hey thank you man! That's great!

What did you do to it? Mastering is my weak point, I don't really know what I'm doing :) I work to get the best mix on the faders and then I just slap it through Ozone Maximiser and have done with it lol :)

Shame its via the MP3 really as you can still hear some of the conversion fizz on the hats... Thank for taking the time to do it. Zoe, my vocalist is great I think, I have a real gem there. We are working on some other stuff right now, much less "safe" music, currently in a good direction. Getting excited about them.

Will check out your stuff after work :)

The changes are probably in the margins as it's mp3 but the bass frequencies have been tightened, the mix has been spread out (particularly on the hi freq vox and guitars), maximiser has been boosted and some saturation added.

I'm using Ozone Isotope 7 Advanced and am not familiar with Ozone Maximiser as a standalone but assume it's just the maximiser from the larger suite?

Anyway, that's a very catchy song you have there. Hope you don't mind me intruding on it :)

Soldato
Just guitaring for me, I'm not in the band anymore but wrote 90% of this song before I left... its nothing amazing, the opening riff I just jammed with the drummer in about 30 seconds as we wanted a "thrashy" song :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice! Is that a Hyperspin frontend?

Looks like you've got a lot of the classics on there. Scramble, what a great game! I used to play a lot of Super Cobra which is similar but came out later. What's it all powered by?

I have the games placed into different categories you press left and right to move through the categories on the P1 joystick and press up and down to move through the games in that category. Super cobra is awesome! Scramble holds a special place for me because I used to have the Grandstand version growing up.

scramble.jpg

image1.jpg

The front end is “MALA” not Hyperspin. MALA is very open ended and it allows you to create any kind of template layout and even use basic code and functions to completely customise the fields you see and the sounds you hear on screen. The whole system is actually Windows 7 32bit PC with a solid state HDD. A n old Dell 15” TFT is used for the screen.

Any other questions ask away!

Associate
Just guitaring for me, I'm not in the band anymore but wrote 90% of this song before I left... its nothing amazing, the opening riff I just jammed with the drummer in about 30 seconds as we wanted a "thrashy" song :D

Haha that is fantastic! Don't generally get on with thrash, but that's musical thrash. The guitar solo's are great. Hardcore early Faith No More springs to mind.

Rahhh MOOORRE KICK DRUMMMMM!

*runs about smashing stuff up

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;30394989 said:
Anyway, that's a very catchy song you have there. Hope you don't mind me intruding on it :)

No not at all, thanks for taking the time. Learned something there too, thanks again. Just listening through your stuff now. Will edit in...

[edit]
Wow we have a very different approach to mixing. I like to keep things tight, up front and close to the face, only touches of reverb, only gentle compression. These tracks are awash with Reverb which pushes them backwards and makes them much more dreamy, gives them width and depth. I can see my mixes are far too narrow now and I'm not controlling the frequencies properly. Maybe I should alter my approach...

I love the bass sound on Disappointed. Your drummer is very good. Prosaic Nation Instrumentation, strings etc sound great (Kontakt?).

SCM vs TAG is probably my favorite overall, reminds me slightly of The Doors at their most mellow. Interesting use of space (maybe vox are a bit lost – you haven’t mastered this yet have you?).

Overall great stuff, makes my amateur mixing (which takes me ages and ages) seem childish :)

Last edited:
Associate
@ Muska, damn that wheel is amazing, can u show us a couple more videos of it in action plz, bet that thing could break ur arm in half, so awesome.

You could definitely do yourself a mischief with it if used incorrectly. If you crash you really need to let go and use the emergency stop, it's there for a reason as this is really parts from a CNC machine and my motor was only the baby version at max 20nm! :eek:

I only have one other video with it and it doesn't showcase it all that well because it's quite dark but hopefully you can appreciate me wrestling with the wheel through the Carousel (It's a lap of the Ring) due to the shake on the camera!

Loving the hand made tools/knife. Very talented :cool:

Associate
That feel when I was just going to post some pictures that I drew on my iPad before looking at the quality of the other submissions in this thread :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom