• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
A card where the performance sits between a 3070 and a 3080 would suit me just fine. I had originally pre-ordered a 3080 but felt it wise to cancel given the shortages - I'd rather not give a company £700 upfront for a product they can't give a definitive timeline as to when they can provide it, it can sit in my account instead.

Will be keeping a keen eye on what AMD offer, if not it's back to waiting on a 3080.

Caporegime
+1 Pretty much all new launches of gpu's sell out. Let's just hope when they do sell out plenty of people got one and more stock is coming in shortly after. The Ampere launch is pretty much as close to a paper launch as you can get with the numbers of cards getting into user hands.
Yeah thats true, we barely saw any get the 3000 series outside of the reviewers. Being able to supply enough stock to quench some thirst and make a splash and then outright saying "we're getting these to you ASAP" is the trick here. Good shout :)

Soldato
Is this just a launch event or will there be reviews going live as well?

If it's just a launch event, then I will treat it just like Nvidia's launch event and take everything with a pinch of salt and wait until Reviewers get their hands on the cards.

Associate

If it's just a launch event, then I will treat it just like Nvidia's launch event and take everything with a pinch of salt and wait until Reviewers get their hands on the cards.

no reviews just AMD Big navi reveal. = pricing + handful of cherry picked benchmarks.

Reviews probably mid NOV.

Cards Probably end NOV........../DEC/JAN/FEB to buy

Caporegime

Its a launch event. And yes, always take everything with a pinch of salt :) although I've found AMD tend to be more accurate in their statements compared to Nvidia.

Jay and Linus released their 3070 videos yesterday (Jays was BS but Linus' was good actually) - and Jay definitely said they don't have AMD Cards yet, so its not like they have them but embargos haven't lifted.

I imagine we'll see reviewers get and drop their stuff in 1-2 weeks from today

Soldato
Its a launch event. And yes, always take everything with a pinch of salt :) although I've found AMD tend to be more accurate in their statements compared to Nvidia.

Jay and Linus released their 3070 videos yesterday (Jays was BS but Linus' was good actually) - and Jay definitely said they don't have AMD Cards yet, so its not like they have them but embargos haven't lifted.

I imagine we'll see reviewers get and drop their stuff in 1-2 weeks from today

Never watched Jay's but Linus is actually getting to a point where he will call them out on mistakes which is good to see.

Associate
You know I'll be happy if they say "we're making them as fast as we can, but due to the expected demand, it will be difficult to supply these to all, however we'll be supplying them as much as possible"

because lets face it, unless they've got a few hundred thousands locked up in a warehouse somewhere that nobody knows about, there are gonna be stock problems :p - if they are honest and come out with the above, then yeah you'll get the haters going "oh amd are useless" but at least theyre being honest and setting correct expectations to be honest.

I feel its a tight rope..
you dont want to explicitly signal bad stock situation to distribution partners either..
it could end up being an open invitation for price gouging

Caporegime
Never watched Jay's but Linus is actually getting to a point where he will call them out on mistakes which is good to see.
Yeah. Jay spent basically 10mins of waffling justifying the 3070 perf. Few mins of graphs. Then more waffling etc basically glossing over the **** show the 30 series launch has been :p

Linus's video is even called "im sick of covering for nvidia" or something along these lines. He knows their games and what they've done, and called them on it. Good on him.

Associate
no reviews just AMD Big navi reveal. = pricing + handful of cherry picked benchmarks.

Reviews probably mid NOV.

Cards Probably end NOV........../DEC/JAN/FEB to buy

to be fair to AMD they have shown where they are not as good as competitors in the past in their benchmarks - whislt yes they'll try look as good as possible, they are semi honest compared to rivals

Soldato
the price of cigs these days it really should be less... there is a sense of regret as a smoker standing outside in the cold gasping on the nicotine

Hard one to give up even with the huge price. My wife smoked and just decided one day, went to the doctor and had a 2 week course of some tablets and that was it. She is, by her own admission, very stubborn though!

What you should do is every time you don't smoke put the cash in a pot for some new hardware :cool:

Associate
Stock stock stock stock stock stock stock. That's all that matters now. Oh and stock.

I hope so.

but looking at AMD's launch history is not inspiring me with confidence. This is all pre-covid, pre-brexit stuff. All launches have been poor.

Hopefully we can all bag a 6900xt or 6800xt.:D

====================
Vega launch:
https://techgage.com/news/amd-issues-statement-regarding-price-hiked-vega/

5700 launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SkIex2zXk

Radeon VII launch:
https://www.techpowerup.com/252269/uks-allocation-of-radeon-vii-a-grand-total-of-100-200-at-launch
====================

Associate
Nvidia Extinction Level Event - N.E.L.E.

JK as all the good threads got locked decided to have some fun in this one. :)

Peace.

Associate
Yeah. Jay spent basically 10mins of waffling justifying the 3070 perf. Few mins of graphs. Then more waffling etc basically glossing over the **** show the 30 series launch has been :p

Linus's video is even called "im sick of covering for nvidia" or something along these lines. He knows their games and what they've done, and called them on it. Good on him.

Won't stop people calling him a shill.

Presumably because he has a huge channel and does sponsored videos.

Soldato
Strange that you would be OK buying a 3900X CPU but think AMD have to be cheaper and offer more features for you to consider their GPUs. It just looks like a massive contradiction in logic to make such arbitrary red lines that AMD are under no obligation to meet.

AMD have great cpu's that are probably superior to Intel currently. I don't think you can say that about their gpus. History says they are second best to nvidia. Even if the new gen is great, it'll take a little convincing people.

Associate
Apologise in advance for the off topic, but i wasn’t expecting this from overclockers.

Doesn’t make sense to close Navi 23 thread hours before AMD presentation.

Not even shows respect for the users that have populate their knowledge and information.

Of course, there is lots of choo trains and derailments, but it makes part of the amusing and enjoying tech.

Soldato

Awww, more waiting :( It's normally about a month for AMD between the Launch event and the actual launch of the cards.

Well, I can't talk for the CPU side as I have never watch an AMD CPU launch. But, their GPU launches are just as bad as Nvidia's. Filled with the cherry picked scenarios and slides that show their tech in the best possible light. Which is fine, nothing wrong with bigging up your product, that's marketing.

But I don't take anything either company says during these events at face value.

It will be good to finally have a ball park performance figure and an MSRP, even though that will probably be gouged to the max by retailers because of "demand"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom