• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It wasn't personal or anything. It's just that a few sources have put these cards in the UK at about 1200 units total, so I sort of suspect that come launch day there's going to be just as many people queuing for them as any other card right now. That could be wrong though, who knows!
That's not something of importance to me though. Thus, giving the appearance that your tone is a bit more personal.

Associate
That's not something of importance to me though. Thus, I took your tone as a bit more personal.

I wasn't trying to impart tone into the message, it stands on its own merits. People have slammed Nvidia repeatedly about this for 2 months solid, about lack of supply and how its their fault or some conspiracy for false scarcity and I speculated a long time ago this might happen to AMD as well due to specific reasons such as TSMC being stretched between many products (consoles, cpus, etc) as well as Covid delays. But they were largely dismissed. Now we're starting to get early indications of extremely severe stock limitations for launch day and so it's interesting to me how people will respond to this.

Accusations that people who want Nvidia cards are people that will be in queues when AMD people wont, I personally don't think will age well. But as I said I could be wrong, it's just my prediction based on rumours. Hopefully the launch is perfect and everyone who wants a card can get what they want.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
People have slammed Nvidia repeatedly about this for 2 months solid, about lack of supply and how its their fault

Quite rightly so. Teasing trickles of FE cards is not nice when the AIB's cant get near them for cost and quality, then grease palms with rebates its scumbag tactics. They also rushed the launch and clearly knew they had no stock moving. AMD will get a panning too (like they always do) but no excuse for me, dont know why nvidia get defended to the hilt - criticise them for what you see dont take pity..

Associate
I wasn't trying to impart tone into the message, it stands on its own merits. People have slammed Nvidia repeatedly about this for 2 months solid, about lack of supply and how its their fault or some conspiracy for false scarcity and I speculated a long time ago this might happen to AMD as well due to specific reasons such as TSMC being stretched between many products (consoles, cpus, etc) as well as Covid delays. But they were largely dismissed. Now we're starting to get early indications of extremely severe stock limitations for launch day and so it's interesting to me how people will respond to this.

Accusations that people who want Nvidia cards are people that will be in queues when AMD people wont, I personally don't think will age well. But as I said I could be wrong, it's just my prediction based on rumours. Hopefully the launch is perfect and everyone who wants a card can get what they want.
Day 1 isn't the bar to measure off. If after 3 or 4 weeks there isn't a steady supply of GPUs at least getting to people then it's another disaster launch. Until then it's all speculation before launch day.

Associate
Quite rightly so. Teasing trickles of FE cards is not nice when the AIB's cant get near them for cost and quality, then grease palms with rebates its scumbag tactics. They also rushed the launch and clearly knew they had no stock moving. AMD will get a panning too (like they always do) but no excuse for me, dont know why nvidia get defended to the hilt - criticise them for what you see dont take pity..

Day 1 isn't the bar to measure off. If after 3 or 4 weeks there isn't a steady supply of GPUs at least getting to people then it's another disaster launch. Until then it's all speculation before launch day.

Both of these things are completely fair, and we'll see how it plays out.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah. People need to just say it as it is. Nvidia ****** up their launch and are getting a lot of **** for it and rightly so. If AMD do the same, the same applies to them. None of these companies are your friend.

Soldato

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and your agenda. As a consumer it's not wholly prudent to make purchases based on your post. I am in no rush as I'm gaming just fine. As for why nvidia got roasted for their Ampere release? It is that they were viewed as the industry leader who didn't lead by example when releasing Ampere. Unlike Apple or Samsung when it comes to new product releases.

You, conveniently, forgot to mention what exactly lead to nvidia being scrutinized:
  • 3080, called the flagship card, has lower vram then the 1080ti and 2080ti before it.
  • AIBs charging higher prices then oem, which has been OOS.
  • 1 AIB caught scalping it's own customers.
  • AIBs using an imbalanced capacitors causing blackscreens and ctd.
  • 1 AIB using power connectors that bend, move when you plug them in causing no connection.
  • Paper Launch with only a few 1000 world wide (per Jayztwocents)
  • Won't be able to replenish stock fully until 2021.
  • Nvidia store crashing, and is accused of exposing customer data. Also show $899 prices for the 3080.
  • 3080 rumored to be eol for a higher vram variant.

Although AMD hasn't released their cards yet I seriously doubt we will see the number of transgressions as provided above. That's the reason for the controversy with Ampere and why AMD now has (IMO) a larger audience. Regardless if it's true they have limited quantity or not. IMO, you are batting for the wrong team.
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah. People need to just say it as it is. Nvidia ****** up their launch and are getting a lot of **** for it and rightly so. If AMD do the same, the same applies to them. None of these companies are your friend.

And AMD already ****** up their Ryzen 5000 launch. Its 2020, I have no faith.

Associate
Its more covid-19 is causing all these isues.

RX 6800 XT Geekbench and Ashes of the Singularity Scores Revealed
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/new...-and-ashes-of-the-singularity-scores-revealed

First off is Ashes of the Singularity, a popular game known for its benchmarking more than its actual gameplay, the 6800 XT was running with a Core i7-8700K at stock frequencies with the "Crazy_1080P" DX12 preset for the benchmark. This is a big win for AMD as the score was 10100 points, which is identical to RTX 3080 scores with the same CPU.

Interestingly, for the Geekbench 5 OpenCL score, the results are quite different, the RX 6800 XT measured a 132605 score in the OpenCL test, while the RTX 3080 comes in at a whopping 178932 points, much higher than that of the 6800 XT.

Here we see that the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 both beat out the AMD RX 6800 XT flagship at 10700 and 10300 points each. The AMD big Navi flagship clocks in at 10100 points and the RTX 3070 lags more than a 1000 points behind at 9000. This benchmark would be more indicative of the overall performance of the card as the reliance on the CPU side of things is a bare minimum. https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-beats-nvidia-rtx-3090-in-leaked-aots-4k-benchmark/

Last edited:
Associate
I am not too impressed with the 6800xt showing as having half the 72 compute units according to the geekbench screenshot, or the bar graph that has the single 3090 on an amd cpu topping the benchmark.
Hald the stuff we'rre seeing right now is just bait, 1 more day we'll have actual figures, reviews, and an idea of stock

Associate
Thanks for confirming my suspicions and your agenda. As a consumer it's not wholly prudent to make purchases based on your post. I am in no rush as I'm gaming just fine. As for why nvidia got roasted for their Ampere release? It is that they were viewed as the industry leader who didn't lead by example when releasing Ampere. Unlike Apple or Samsung when it comes to new product releases.

You, conveniently, forgot to mention what exactly lead to nvidia being scrutinized:
  • 3080, called the flagship card, has lower vram then the 1080ti and 2080ti before it.
  • AIBs charging higher prices then oem, which has been OOS.
  • 1 AIB caught scalping it's own customers.
  • AIBs using an imbalanced capacitors causing blackscreens and ctd.
  • 1 AIB using power connectors that bend, move when you plug them in causing no connection.
  • Paper Launch with only a few 1000 world wide (per Jayztwocents)
  • Won't be able to replenish stock fully until 2021.
  • Nvidia store crashing, and is accused of exposing customer data. Also show $899 prices for the 3080.
  • 3080 rumored to be eol for a higher vram variant.

Although AMD hasn't released their cards yet I seriously doubt we will see the number of transgressions as provided above. That's the reason for the controversy with Ampere and why AMD now has (IMO) a larger audience. Regardless if it's true they have limited quantity or not. IMO, you are batting for the wrong team.
:D
RTX 3090 is the flagship, not 3080. Looking at the current stocks levels, AMD cards will also be scalped similar to NVIDIA cards. The AIBs using inferior capacitors was debunked long ago. It was an issue related to launch drivers. AMD’s drivers will also be having issues at launch of past history is any indication.

I don’t know why you are blaming NVIDIA for AIBs using inferior quality components in their GPUs. The same has happened with AMD before.

Samsung and Apple have a much better supply chain and a handle on the current situation than both AMD and NVIDIA. Apple would never launch its iPhone with only 1200 units at launch day like AMD for instance.

Associate
No it's not, the 3080 is the flagship. Jensen said so himself for all to hear during the launch.
A flagship product is the best the company can offer and that’s the 3090 not 3080. He called the 3080 a flagship because it is the practical option for most enthusiasts as its only 10% slower for less than 50% cost. But the 3090 is faster than it, which makes it by definition the flagship although its pricing is ludicrous.

Caporegime
A flagship product is the best the company can offer and that’s the 3090 not 3080. He called the 3080 a flagship because it is the practical option for most enthusiasts as its only 10% slower for less than 50% cost. But the 3090 is faster than it, which makes it by definition the flagship although its pricing is ludicrous.
I think, like many people, you misunderstand the meaning of flagship, if you think it simply means "fastest".

flagship noun [C] (BEST PRODUCT)
best or most important product, idea, building, etc. that an organization owns or produces:

The 3080 is the flagship product to Jensen and Nvidia because it is the most important card in the lineup, not because it is the outright fastest. Nvidia designated the 3080 their flagship product at launch, so it's currently their flagship product. Any other meaning you are applying to it is completely subjective.

Associate
RTX 3090 is ment to be titan class performance and the RTX 3080 the gaming flagship. 3080 for 4k gaming and the 3090 is 8k gaming....

Soldato
RTX 3090 is the flagship, not 3080. Looking at the current stocks levels, AMD cards will also be scalped similar to NVIDIA cards. The AIBs using inferior capacitors was debunked long ago. It was an issue related to launch drivers. AMD’s drivers will also be having issues at launch of past history is any indication.

I don’t know why you are blaming NVIDIA for AIBs using inferior quality components in their GPUs. The same has happened with AMD before.

Samsung and Apple have a much better supply chain and a handle on the current situation than both AMD and NVIDIA. Apple would never launch its iPhone with only 1200 units at launch day like AMD for instance.
Nvidia approves AIB designs before they are allowed to be sold. If they are using inferior components, that means Nvidia approved it. The reason they can review and approve designs is because they have been dominant in the GPU space for a long time. I don't think AMD are able to do this but i could be wrong.

Nvidia and AMD aren't newbies to the world of selling electronic items. So i think your comparison only makes AMD and Nvidia look incompetent.

I do wonder if some the initial stock shortages are partially due to these companies trying to stem leaks from their partners, by delaying final assembly of cards to be as late as possible.

Caporegime
hahaha this made me LoL

what crazy year 2020 has been.
Yep, even considering the trying global circumstances, Nvidia and AMD deserve real criticism for their handling of their launches and the cynical and untransparent way in which they were done (semi-paper style, very limited stocks), as do the retailers who have capitalised on all of this chaos to hike prices up into the stratosphere.

2020 was the year that PC hardware consumers got shafted with no regard or respect from the people we give our money to. If I don't get something at launch I will now just wait until next year for stock stabilize, because you have to be mad to give your money to a retailer and wait so many weeks, if not months, for a purchase of this level.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do people really believe this nonsense?

It's like calling a Vega 64 a 4k card while a Vega 56 is a 1440p card. They are literally the same core, even if you doubled the memory on the Vega 64 it doesn't change that it's got 10% more raw performance and can not in any way run a full resolution higher at a vastly different framerate to the one below it.

The 3090 is not an 8k card, it can output 8k, so can the 3080 not surprisingly because it's literally the same piece of silicon with a little bit of it disabled. They aren't in different performance classes, if the 3080 can't run a game in 8k with acceptable frame rates then the 3090 won't either.

I mean metro exodus sucks on a 3080 at 8k, 21 fps max, 15 mins, what about the 3090 17 mins and 26 max. Totally a 8k card. That's before you get to Total war which apparently runs faster in 8k on the 3080 than the 3090. Horizon Zero dawn is badly optimised and does have significantly higher performance on the 3090, at 19 mins for a $1.5k card. No one playing at those kind of settings on a 1.5k card.

Yeah they've kitted it out with memory and yes that means at 8k it runs into less/no memory limitations but it still actively doesn't have the raw horsepower to run that resolution in any reasonable game you'd be buying a 1.5k card to game on.

They are the same piece of silicon, the 3080 is a 10% slower salvaged part, stop acting like they are entirely different products in completely different performance brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom