The truth about 1920x1080 on a 27" display

Associate
Morning all.

There is an ever increasing trend against higher pixel pitch displays with a 1920x1080 resolution. Lots of people are being told they can't possibly go with a 27" monitor at 1920x1080 because the text will be boxy and disgusting to look at, images will lack sharpness and clarity and gaming will look crud. Most threads end up with someone (and I've been guilty in the past) who owns an expensive IPS panel like the U2711 saying "oh no mate, you don't want to go there, you must spend 3 times as much to get 2560x1440". Chances are though that the person that owns a U2711 has not spent much time with a 27" TN panel for comparison.

So. I am the fussiest person you will meet, I have OCD worse than Patrick Bateman. I'm that person that went through five U2410's because of tint, the person that WILL return any monitor with 1 dead pixel.

On that basis, and on the basis that I have a low pixel pitch 23" IPS display (Dell U2311h) and a high pixel pitch 27" TN display (Iiyama B2776HDS) in front of me I wanted to share my thoughts. Both monitors are 1080p.

They are as follows:

1) The text on the 27" is in fact a lot easier to read and looks perfectly sharp, particularly after adjusting the sharpness via the monitors OSD and by adjusting the cleartype settings via the Windows 7 wizard.

2) Gaming is better. I can see everything more clearly as it's bigger. I got a lot better at COD overnight. there is no ghosting and I know my GTX 580 will last another year at 1080p.

3) Image quality is actually pretty good. Some colours don't come through on the TN but I found by boosting the digital vibrance just a little in the Nvidia control panel and by using the SRGB setting on the monitor I can't really tell the difference between the TN and the IPS. I really, honestly can't.

4) I think we should stop giving the wrong advice to people who are not image editors and just want to have fun with their PC without breaking the bank.

*my opinions

Associate
OP
i didn't like my 27" 1080p i honestly think above 24" needs higher res to be acceptable. its no where near as sharp as 1080p on the smaller screens.

Maybe some of the 27" 1080p screens are no good. Mine is just as sharp, just bigger. But I'm 3' away from it I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom