• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Owners Thread

Soldato
As a 2080 owner, yes I think the pricing is outrageous! However the Turing die seems huge so I presume it's difficult/expensive to manufacture.
Thus the price is more to do with manufacturing cost rather than downright theft from Nvidia.

It's far less to do with that than the situation with Pascal and all that stock kicking about still. It's inflated the price of the 20xx series significantly.

There will be more cost in manufacturing Turing vs Pascal, but nowhere near as much as you may think.

Soldato
Yeah so as an update from spending some real time with the card now I’ve found it an absolute joy in terms of experience compared to my 1080FE.

It’s really so quiet when compared to the 1080 and the new cooling solution really does work. I have found it to float all over the place depending on the demand but what it does do is maintain a decently boost level even at higher temps of around 1900 core.

From the games I’ve played PUBG seems to tax it the most, that’s actually bringing the load temps to around the 83-85 mark but as I’ve said boost is maintaining a high level and the cooling doesn’t become audible either.

Other games I’ve generally played such as FIFA 19 only take it to around 44/5 degrees on load, much less demanding of course.

All going well so far and I managed to punt my 1080 FE on eBay with only a £1 max fee for selling at around the £380 mark so I was happy with that return considering it was an RMA replacement for my 980ti in the first place.

Soldato
Posting in another thread I convinced myself of a 2080 being the right choice for me so have now ordered one :). Originally pre-ordered the 2080 Ti FE but cancelled that because after Oct not quite sure how much gaming I'll do for a while and the delivery ETA was 24th October. Can more easily justify the 2080 as a replacement for the TXP I had and it won't bother me if it goes unused for a while :). Wanted next card to last 4 years and the 2080 Ti would probably be more suitable in that respect but the 2080 keeps options open a little, ie, if next gen takes a big jump in RTX performance then could upgrade again.
Also means the 1070 Ti can be moved over to the spare machine which currently has to run a non-native display resolution.
I'm taking some time out at the moment so have plenty of time to spend using it for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
Posting in another thread I convinced myself of a 2080 being the right choice for me so have now ordered one :). Originally pre-ordered the 2080 Ti FE but cancelled that because after Oct not quite sure how much gaming I'll do for a while and the delivery ETA was 24th October. Can more easily justify the 2080 as a replacement for the TXP I had and it won't bother me if it goes unused for a while :). Wanted next card to last 4 years and the 2080 Ti would probably be more suitable in that respect but the 2080 keeps options open a little, ie, if next gen takes a big jump in RTX performance then could upgrade again.
Also means the 1070 Ti can be moved over to the spare machine which currently has to run a non-native display resolution.
I'm taking some time out at the moment so have plenty of time to spend using it for a while.

Your thinking echoes mine. The 2080Ti is compelling for sure with the added horsepower it no doubt offers, but the value is just dreadful, worse than the 2080 despite that not offering much more than 1080Ti. I can see long term value on the Ti taking a far harder hit as a result, more so in light of the inflated prices right now. This would make a future upgrade more painful... but then you'd hope to be keeping a Ti for longer anyway. So maybe it would even out, I don't know, but there's no way some of these 2080Tis are worth £1400-1500!! If you're buying at £1099 then you will have more mileage. We obviously have no idea when new cards will be seen, but it certainly won't be as long a gap as it was since Pascal and Turing.

Soldato
Yeah so as an update from spending some real time with the card now I’ve found it an absolute joy in terms of experience compared to my 1080FE.

It’s really so quiet when compared to the 1080 and the new cooling solution really does work. I have found it to float all over the place depending on the demand but what it does do is maintain a decently boost level even at higher temps of around 1900 core.

From the games I’ve played PUBG seems to tax it the most, that’s actually bringing the load temps to around the 83-85 mark but as I’ve said boost is maintaining a high level and the cooling doesn’t become audible either.

Other games I’ve generally played such as FIFA 19 only take it to around 44/5 degrees on load, much less demanding of course.

All going well so far and I managed to punt my 1080 FE on eBay with only a £1 max fee for selling at around the £380 mark so I was happy with that return considering it was an RMA replacement for my 980ti in the first place.

You bought the FE 2080?

Associate
2080 Arrived, it is what it is. Wanted to play Horizon 4 at 100+Fps with everything maxed out, I got it.

gICxLzE.jpg

+120 Core, +700 Memory got me a 11850 GPU score in TimeSpy. I'll leave it at that as it seems stable. Nothing else to say, temps and noise are as good as expected.

Soldato
2080 Arrived, it is what it is. Wanted to play Horizon 4 at 100+Fps with everything maxed out, I got it.

gICxLzE.jpg

+120 Core, +700 Memory got me a 11850 GPU score in TimeSpy. I'll leave it at that as it seems stable. Nothing else to say, temps and noise are as good as expected.

Excellent! Looks awesome. I'm REALLY looking forward to playing FH4 in 1440p ultrawide tomorrow on release (Xbox game pass). Shame I've not got my RTX card for it's launch yet so I'm gonna have to make do with 50-60fps for now.

Caporegime

gICxLzE.jpg

What the hells going on in your case "basement", christmas tree ornament storage? :p

Soldato
You'll be worse than second best well within a couple of years though. This whole launch seems rushed to me, like they just had to get these cards out there. Waiting until next year would have seemed more logical, given there are zero games to take advantage of RTX features yet. If they'd bided their time, they could have released alongside several titles next year. So why NOW? I think it might point towards overall strategy and a view to release 7nm/10nm cards next year at some point... it might not be until towards the end of 2019, but still, it feels like they HAD to get the 20xx out now for some reason. At the same time though, they had to know sales would be slow and the 1080Ti stock would have to be cleared out before 20xx could really get a foothold.

So on one hand it almost feels strategic, on the other it's like they're making it up as they go lol! Regardless, the 2080Ti isn't going to be the best for that long, and absolutely nowhere near as long as the 1080Ti held that crown!

I've been deliberating myself between 2080 and 2080Ti... and while the raw power of the Ti is certainly appealing, it IS worse value than the 2080, and there's still huge questions as to whether it's even worth it regards the RTX features. At 4K, if you need an absolute powerhouse and won't settle for less, it's the obvious choice if you can afford it. I do worry within a relatively short period of time though, that its second hand value will plummet as and when new GPUs arrive or are even announced. Overall, I think most people are just better off with a 1080Ti and waiting. They won't be missing much.

:rolleyes:
I don't think new GPUs are coming THAT soon. They haven't even released the 2070 yet.

Man of Honour
OP

gICxLzE.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

qswc36n.jpg

Date 01/10/2018, Make MSI Gaming X Trio, razorpakk, Link
Date 23/09/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Rup, Link
Date 21/09/2018, Make Asus Dual, fishtank, Link
Date 22/09/2018, Make Zotac Amp Edition, M1keMK, Link
Date 22/09/2018, Make MSI Gaming X Trio, Unrivaledx21, Link
Date 21/09/2018, Make Asus Dual, MasterOC, Link
Date 21/09/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, sillyeagle, Link
Date 20/09/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, jjgreenwood, Link
Date 20/09/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Simon Belmont, Link
Date 20/09/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, jrodga2k5, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RTX 2080.

Soldato
I don't think new GPUs are coming THAT soon. They haven't even released the 2070 yet.

Probably not, but I think it will depend on what they're developing behind closed doors and how ray tracing performance pans out. If that performance is as bad as reports suggest, and it's going to barely manage 60FPS at 1080p (and if devs are unable to squeeze much more out of it), that's going to be somewhat of an embarassment for Nvidia. Especially in face of all that anger from the majority of 2080Ti owners with 1440p/UW/4K monitors than can't enjoy those ray traced experiences. If that's the case, and if they DO have a more powerful card to put out, we might see it sooner rather than later. Of course, that will be a ridiculous scenario whichever way you slice it... an £1100+ GPU redundant and largely useless for the very thing that it was sold on! Just beyond pathetic if that is the reality we're faced with. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Probably not, but I think it will depend on what they're developing behind closed doors and how ray tracing performance pans out. If that performance is as bad as reports suggest, and it's going to barely manage 60FPS at 1080p (with devs unable to squeeze much more out of it), that's going to be somewhat of an embarassment for Nvidia. Especially in face of all that anger from the majority of 2080Ti owners with 1440p/UW/4K monitors than can't enjoy those ray traced experiences. If that's the case, amd if they DO have a more powerful card to put out, we might see it sooner rather than later. Of course, that will be a ridiculous scenario whichever way you slice it... an £1100+ GPU redundant and largely useless for the very thing that it was sold on! Just beyond pathetic if that is the reality we're faced with. :rolleyes:

Yeah don't get me wrong, if someone has a pascal card and isn't gaming at 4k, i don't know why they'd want a 20xx card.

I'm sitting on a GTX 670.. with a 4k TV so I NEED to upgrade now given I want to play VR, so the 20xx series is my only option unless I want to get a 1080ti which has been out for a while.

I just don't think the 10/7nm refresh is going to happen tommorow like a lot of people predict.

Also sorry to repeat myself but Zotac 2080 AMP or is the NVIDIA FE 2080 fine? I need to it to be as quiet as my GTX 670 asus model

Back
Top Bottom