1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Turing RTX 2080 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kaapstad, Aug 21, 2018.

1. PhilipofDoncaster

Associate

I bought an RTX 2080 FE off ebay brand new, during 10% off day. Was going to go for the 1080 ti, but for an extra £30 it seemed worth it. Should be a decent jump from the GTX 770.

2. Olly

Hitman

I couldn't bring myself to buy 2 year old tech. My 1080 GTX wasn't quite up to the task of 3440x1440 so I went for the 2080 and I'm happy. I had £700 put aside anyway for when 1080 Ti prices were that high. I don't know why people compare the 2080 to the 1080ti. bring on DLSS!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. Legend

Soldato

They're compared because they perform the same lol! DLSS hasn't shown itself to be anything yet. In time, I think the 2080 may see itself gain more of a lead though... driver maturation alone should ensure this. RTX features are very much up in the air though... no one can say yet if devs will deliver on that front. Nvidia will be pushing it, they have to... if RTX fails then it's going to be rather embarassing for them, not to mention costly given all that tech on the cards which is currently sitting there doing nothing. I do think we'll be waiting a while though, and by time there's serious content out there, 20xx prices may have dropped.

Ultimately though, if buying a NEW GPU today, I wouldn't buy Pascal. It's a great card but as good as it will get, but in buying one you're either betting on RTX failing in the short term, or just declaring yourself not interested in it at all. Which is fine, but personally I'd be OK with paying that bit extra for a 2080 and remaining hopeful it will be the better card in the long run. Only time will tell...

4. ImMrChris

Man of Honour

Ordered my 2080 today! i've been struggling on a 970 in 4k for about a year which was horrible and i wasnt going to pay £1k+ for a 1080Ti during the miners crisis, I didnt feel comfortable dropping £700 on the older gen so spent £50 more and got a Zotac AMP edition 2080 cant wait for it to come and i can finally get some decent 4k gaming in :)

5. YoungBlood

Wise Guy

My condolences. :D

May I suggest (if your a fan of the genre) picking up an xbox game pass for a couple of quid off cdkeys.com (new accounts only mind) and getting Forza Horizon 4, will certainly open your eyes to what the 2080 can do @ 4k :) and for £2.99 it's the deal of the year.
    Oh she so pretty.

6. ImMrChris

Man of Honour

so the Xbox Game Pass works on windows 10 too? cool you learn something new everyday :)

7. PhilipofDoncaster

Associate

I managed to get my 3 years warranty for the FE RTX, even though it was through ebay. If i have any issues, will they be awkward due to me not having the original purchase receipt.

8. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

9. Gregster

Caporegime

Today is the day for delivery. Can't bloody wait and "super excited" is an understatement :D

I am more excited than Gary Glitter in a playground :eek:

10. scubes

Wise Guy

Ah congrats mate let me no how she runs.

11. DarrenM343

Mobster

I was bad enough with just getting a 2080 :). Enjoy
    I didn't realise the warranty from NV is 3 years now. Just checked the box andalso the box of a 1070 Ti too and they're both 3 years.

12. Gregster

Caporegime

Cheers Brothers :)

13. wookiee87

Gangster

got both cards installed now, took me 8hrs last night into this morning to clean everything out and sort out the pads on both my cards, i'm happy to report switching back to my mayhems x1 red coolant, my cpu temps are back down to around 65-67 degrees max and both my 2080's are around 2.1ghz with +800 offset on the ram atm, temps under full load are around 60 ish in games, i think thats still warm but i noticed in heaven benchmark both my cards were pushing almost 2.3ghz but when i checked in afterbuner and gpuz my cores were around the 2100mhz region. when benchmarking as well i noticed both cards would sit lower around 53 - 55 degrees max during testing, but in games the cards seem to run hotter.

anyone else noticing lower temps in benchmarks compared to gaming?

14. ImMrChris

Man of Honour

Received my 2080 AMP from you guys yesterday, omg what a card I was playing rise of the Tomb Raider last night in 4K @ nearly a constant 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles on it looks amazing! It’s much quieter than my EVGA 970 too happy days

15. RichUK

Gangster

So these cards overclock quite well then?

Does temps have a big bearing on overclocks?

16. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

17. AORUS

Gangster

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  18. ver01@

Gangster

Ordered two from abroad - this memory should really be good for mining !

19. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I do want one.... But I guess I'm happy to wait to see if there is any actual point when games that support the features launch.

20. AORUS

Gangster

if your waiting for RT and DLSS in games it will take one - two year or more