• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Owners Thread

Rup

Rup

Associate
@bakes0310 ; Pretty basic Asus Mini ITX B360, Ryzen 2600, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB M.2 SATA SSD. Oh and Inwin A1 case.
Built originally as Hyper V pc but couldn't resist putting the 2080 in :)

Soldato
is founders quiet ?

Yes. At least for me. This new FE design is really good so far. I can't hear it all when gaming. I use to hear the 1080Ti or 1080 on every game. Not here. It's also much better at cooling. I use to be near 83c without any fan curve. Now it never goes above 72c and it's very quiet. Nvidia at least got one thing right. Too bad the pricing sucks

Associate
Are people really buying these? Genuinely surprised. Such lackluster performance increase after 2 years, and the pricing..

I guess people are waiting to try RTX games when they become available? That price though. Dayum..

Def gonna skip this gen and wait for a real upgrade.

Seems silly to upgrade to a 1080ti at this point considering it's slower and can't take advantage of new features coming down the pipe. Will be left in the dust in six months.

The 2080 beats everything in Time Spy other than the Titan V. It's currently #3 in the bench thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/time-spy-standard-dx-12-bench.18740536/

And on pricing, do you always buy the cheapest thing you find or do you buy what looks cool and does what you want? Spending an extra 100 to make sure your card is good for the next couple years seems like a smart move to me.

Associate
is founders quiet ?
It's OK but if you have a quiet build then not the best, I certainly wouldn't want it in a ti varient. I've got a be quiet silent base 800 and it's the noisiest thing in the case. That's not to say it's loud it is far better than the blower coolers of the past, it's just noticable rather than the palit 1080 gamerock premium I had previously which wasn't even on full load.

If you value an extremely quiet PC then I'd suggest spending the extra on one of the ones with the bigger heatsinks.

Associate
The cooler on the FE is really quite impressive. With the fans cranked up it runs at just 59C when overclocked to 2070/8300 while stressing with FurMark.

With the default fan profile it run at 75C with 45% fan speed (1700rpm) and is pretty much silent. I have to put my ear up to it to hear it over my six mag-lev fans running at 1600rpm each.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The cooler on the FE is really quite impressive. With the fans cranked up it runs at just 59C when overclocked to 2070/8300 while stressing with FurMark.

With the default fan profile it run at 75C with 45% fan speed (1700rpm) and is pretty much silent. I have to put my ear up to it to hear it over my six mag-lev fans running at 1600rpm each.

A lot of cards are designed to throttle down when Furmark is detected so the results are of little value.

If they don't throttle down it can lead to damage to the GPU.

If you want to give your card a good test try running it on Heaven 4 at as high a resolution as possible.:)

Associate
Is anyone else using Windows 7 with this card? I am noticing that I am getting lower FPS than benchmark reviews of the card in quite a few games. Also, I am often noticing the card not making full use of the GPU. i.e. GPU Usage at 50-70% instead of 99-100%.

Associate
Just install Windows 10 then.

What are you still doing on a 9 year old OS that hasn't had a decent update for 7 years?
Personal preference. I find Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to be the best OS. Windows 8 wasn't a selling point and Windows 10 is competitive, but just not for me. I might set up a dual boot partition for comparison. Before doing so though I'd like anyone else's feedback if they are experiencing this as well.

Associate
Personal preference. I find Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to be the best OS. Windows 8 wasn't a selling point and Windows 10 is competitive, but just not for me. I might set up a dual boot partition for comparison. Before doing so though I'd like anyone else's feedback if they are experiencing this as well.
20** Cards are designed for DX12+ - you are gimping your card using Windows 7 (no DX12 for Windows 7) and probably won't be able to use RTX. Not to mention you are leaving yourself open to security issues by using an EOL OS

Soldato
Is anyone else using Windows 7 with this card? I am noticing that I am getting lower FPS than benchmark reviews of the card in quite a few games. Also, I am often noticing the card not making full use of the GPU. i.e. GPU Usage at 50-70% instead of 99-100%.

As Paladine says, you're gimping your card. That is your personal preference though of course. But just be aware you've wasted your money if you stick with Win 7.

Soldato

One of the RTX features is ray tracing and going off what has been said about it, it will require DX12 which you won't get on windows 7. As for the GPU usage, I think it suggests that you have a bottleneck somewhere, whether that your drivers, old OS or the resolution you're playing at and cpu being a bottleneck is difficult to tell.

Associate
A lot of cards are designed to throttle down when Furmark is detected so the results are of little value.

If they don't throttle down it can lead to damage to the GPU.

If you want to give your card a good test try running it on Heaven 4 at as high a resolution as possible.:)

It only seems to throttle as the temp goes up, like I see with other tests, but I will give Heaven 4 a try.

Back
Top Bottom