The wait to…points? A slap on the wrist?

Associate
So the other day I was driving through a 30 and I was doing more than 30.
I came round a bend and there was a mobile camera in the lay-by facing me on my side of the road.
I braked and by the time I was level with it was doing 33 max (I have my dashcam video with the speed).
Apart from the extreme annoyance at my stupidity and careless driving is there any way I can gauge whether I’ll get an option for an awareness course or will it be 3 points?
I’m quite sure I will get something but it will be my first offence in 20years of driving and I would prefer to keep a clean license.

Associate
OP
Maximum I was going was 38 but I didn’t brake very hard (or hard enough).
If they clocked me at 38 is it likely there be a different penalty than if they clocked me at say 35 or 34?
Will they see that I was slowing down and might that sway their decision.

Associate
OP
Well fingers crossed then.
I've heard of 10% + 2 but didn't know there was another level.
Am I right in thinking the 10% is to allow for the calibration of the odometer?

Associate
OP
So how long do I wait before I'm in the clear (not anticipating this actually being the case) but is there any sort of 'cut-off' (for what exactly I don't know)?
Everyday I'm driving home waiting to see a letter on the side.

NB: Not in Scotland (for the benefit of Burnsy2023), actually not far from Southampton :)

Associate
OP
So you think that because you slowed down only because you saw a speed trap they will go easy on you?

No. I was asking if they would give a different penalty given the speed. Had I been doing 100 then the answer would be yes.
Since the margin is a lot smaller it’s not unreasonable to think there may be a level of tolerance.
It’s pretty clear there is a level of discretion in these things.

If they hadn't been there you would have kept on going at the same speed.

Thats an assumption, and not necessarily true.

So what do you think? This isn't rocket science or something worth asking on a forum. just wait to see if you get a letter in the post or not.

One could reasonably argue that your post was not one worth posting on a forum yet here we are. There must be thousands of posts on here that according to you don’t need to be posted but people ask them for their own understanding.

Back
Top Bottom