Theoretical ideas for old equipment

Caporegime
As my new pc is just about completly fnished when my new case arrives i am wondering about using the parts from an old PC to make something useful with, maybe a SETI machine or something similar.

The old machine includes

1.2GH Athlon processor (Socket A)
Cheapo AGP motherboard (no many clocking options)
512MB DDR RAM (may be 2 x 256 i dont have the stuff here to check)
Nvidea TNT 2 GFX card
CDRW Drive
PSU and case
Network card

I also have a 30GB ATA HD in this computer i can use as a storage drive. Probably end up using Linux although ihave never used it before (just to lower costs)

So what suggestions do people have as to what i can do with it? Im willing to spend some money on it but not too much. There are 2 PC's and 1 laptop in the house at the moment if that makes a difference.

Associate
Server, testing box and SETI/Folding are all good uses.

Or you could sell it and use the money for something you actually have a use for. ;)

Caporegime
OP
Well yeah i was going to sell it at first but its not exactly priceless lol. Im just wondering about playing with it, such as overclocking if possible, as i've never done something like that before and i dont really want to overclock my main one with a £350 processor in and ruin it.

So what would a server or testing box be used for, i have vague ideas but is there really a point to them? Not that that will actually put me off. :p

Caporegime
OP
BUMP*

The above questions still stand as well as another, a few people on here seem to be getting really high scores on super pi with clocked pentium m's. How good are these for BOINC and similar applications? Also what core or processor is the best bang for buck, both standard and overclocking wise when being used for boinc. Id only want to spend in the region of £150 if i actually bought one tho.

Back
Top Bottom