Theory with me (New to Networking)

Associate
Hi All,

So recently found myself heading down a networking youtube rabbit hole and being the keen nerd that I am my brain wants to know more.

I'm currently on virgin media super hub 3 using as the houses sole connection to the internet. I understand these hubs have there issues and so.. is my understanding of the equipment below the the way to connect thing.

Internet -> VM Hub (Modem Mode) -> Router -> # Port switch.

From the switch i would then have however many wireless access points for phones, tablets, laptops and then run wired connections to things like a PC, TV all from the switch.

Would this set up increase the speeds each device is receiving or just improve the stability ?

as we add more connected devices to the house it seems it is struggling a little.

Associate
How bigs the house, where's the router situated, and what is it?
Is the house a new build (ie, plasterboard + stud / board + frame), or internal brick or stone walls. 3 floors or 2..

When you say struggling, what are the symptoms? ie. what is the issue you are actually trying to solve?

Caporegime
I would say use modem mode. get a cheap router which uses dd-wrt. then get a ubiquiti access point or 2 depending on size of home and install them either 1 in the middle or 1 at either end of the house. must be installed as high up as possible within reason. attic or first floor ceiling.

Soldato
If it's just a wireless problem you don't need a new router.

Disable the wireless on the hub and then connect as many wireless access points as you need.

Or alternatively, investigate the mesh options such as Google Wifi.

Back
Top Bottom