Thermal paste

Associate
Just on start of new build …
Watched a ‘Build your own PC’

Advice is connect up all components and check all powers up before assembly in the case.
Fine and valid advice.
The videos show applying Thermal paste, and fitting AIOC pump head … fine.
However when I dismantle this, do I need to clean off Thermal paste, and re-do.
Or just add a bit more fresh paste on top of what is there, or just re-use it as is and not add anymore or any new

I've never seen anything definitive saying to clean everything when re-fitting but I personally always clean everything and re-apply the paste. The only time I would re-use the thermal paste (as in not apply any additional) would be if I'm quickly testing something or know the system will be taken apart again in the near future.

When you remove the heatsink / AIO cold plate from the processor, it tends to goop up in the area of last contact, as it's dragged up, so I can't imagine the coverage would be perfectly even, if that cold plate is put back down again as-is. Although the heat / physical contact will certainly negate the worst of that.

Nah, just build it in the case. Take your time and you’ll be reet. I’ve only ever rebuilt a system outside the case to trouble shoot it.

Generally I would agree but as someone who recently did a build in a case with a NH-D15 and 3070, where I had to release the PCIe latch with a 30cm ruler (the only thing that would fit :D ) for troubleshooting, it does depend on what you're working with.

Back
Top Bottom