Thermalright Frozen Prism

Man of Honour
It's sad that many have never heard of them but they have been around far longer than the likes of Noctua. Back in AMD's socket 754 days Thermalright were by far the best coolers to get with the XP90 and XP120. It's really good to see them making a resurgance and making everything else look massively overpriced.

Soldato
It's sad that many have never heard of them but they have been around far longer than the likes of Noctua. Back in AMD's socket 754 days Thermalright were by far the best coolers to get with the XP90 and XP120. It's really good to see them making a resurgance and making everything else look massively overpriced.

I had a True Spirit 140 that I used for many years dating back to 2012 or so, fantastic HSF for the price at the time and it took good care of a heavily OC'd 3570K. I had a Thermalright HSF prior on an A64 4800 too that worked a treat, I can't for the life of me remember the exact model though.

I'm glad they're making a come back, too many excellent companies have vanished over the years.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, I still have my XP120 in the attic somewhere.

It was top dog in S478 P4 days, best blow down fan heatsink, before tower coolers become a thing.

Think I also had a Ultra 120 at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It does seem decent for the price, I might buy one just to play around with.

Been building PCs for over 20 years and never owned an AIO :D
I picked up the arctic freezer III RGB 360 for £76 earlier this year when they had that launch promo going but if I hadn’t then I’d be all over this.

Soldato
I picked up the arctic freezer III RGB 360 for £76 earlier this year when they had that launch promo going but if I hadn’t then I’d be all over this.

They're still a fantastic option, and have the distinction of offering decently thick rads and VRM cooling on the CPU mount which I can appreciate.

Still not a bad price either compared to most AiO's tbh, especially from the likes of Corsair where it's a carbon copy of mid-tier crap at best while costing hundreds at times for worse performance.

There's still a market for the Arctic AiO's even with Thermalright dipping a toe in, I can't remember the last time I recommended anything from another company outside of extremely deep discounts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of getting one of these (frozen prism) but can't decide whether to get the white ARGB version or the black non-RGB version.
My case is white so the white one would make sense from that regard, but I have no interest in RGB (I think I'd have to install additional software to control them, plus my motherboard doesn't have enough ARGB headers). Also GamersNexus seemed to say it could be loud, which I'm guessing is down to the fans, so if I wanted to replace the fans then black ones would be cheaper and probably more variety (and availability).

My other option is an Arctic Freezer III with 15mm fans (as the rad + 25mm won't fit in my case). That would be more expensive and potentially not perform as well with the slim fans.

Soldato
Thinking of getting one of these (frozen prism) but can't decide whether to get the white ARGB version or the black non-RGB version.
My case is white so the white one would make sense from that regard, but I have no interest in RGB (I think I'd have to install additional software to control them, plus my motherboard doesn't have enough ARGB headers). Also GamersNexus seemed to say it could be loud, which I'm guessing is down to the fans, so if I wanted to replace the fans then black ones would be cheaper and probably more variety (and availability).

My other option is an Arctic Freezer III with 15mm fans (as the rad + 25mm won't fit in my case). That would be more expensive and potentially not perform as well with the slim fans.

You don't need to use the ARGB, you can just switch it off or not plug it in and it'll work fine.

Soldato
You don't need to use the ARGB, you can just switch it off or not plug it in and it'll work fine.
Yeah, I thought that would be the case.
Still leaves the issue of white fans being more expensive if I decide I want to replace them (from a performance/noise POV). Would be nice to match my case, but I'd rarely ever see it once fitted anyway. Which I guess means I could also put black fans on a white radiator...

Soldato
Yeah, I thought that would be the case.
Still leaves the issue of white fans being more expensive if I decide I want to replace them (from a performance/noise POV). Would be nice to match my case, but I'd rarely ever see it once fitted anyway. Which I guess means I could also put black fans on a white radiator...

Worth taking a look at the specific fans you'd be interested in, some aren't actually any more expensive than their black counterparts.

Soldato
I've seen them for about £8. However you can get 5 of the black ones for £27, which is like £3 more for 2 more fans.

The Arctic BioniX P12 might be worth a look, there's a black and white version if you fancy the aesthetic, although you do pay more for them at around a tenner.

arcticbw.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom